Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Poem for a wedding

(15 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 14-Jun-13 11:35:39

I have been asked to read a poem at my nephews wedding soon. I can't find the right one! They want it to be informal, humorous and light hearted. So that rules out Shakespeare's love sonnets for a start!
Please has anyone got one I could use as I am at my wits end and beginning to panic. Help!

janeainsworth Fri 14-Jun-13 11:41:27

Goodness! Surely it's enough that you are doing the reading, without bearing the responsibility of choosing the bally poemshock
Tell the happy couple to get on the Internet, google 'light-hearted amusing poems suitable for a wedding' and choose it themselves!

Galen Fri 14-Jun-13 11:49:54

How about either fight the good fight or the fight is oer the battle won.
Or you could read the whole of the ancient mariner

betsysgran Fri 14-Jun-13 11:57:19

When my eldest sister remarried the happy couple asked me to read a poem. We all thought long and hard until my sister suggested The Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear. It suited the day perfectly and when I mentioned that it was our Mum's favourite there was no hesitation in choosing it. It was wonderful to play an important part in their very happy day. Hope this helps. Enjoy the day.smile

nanaej Fri 14-Jun-13 12:17:08

Or Father hear the prayer we offer! had that sung at my wedding!!!

I like the sound of Owl & The Pussycat.

Gally Fri 14-Jun-13 12:32:25

My daughter recited The Owl and the Pussycat at her best friend's wedding a couple of years ago - it went down very well smile

Nelliemoser Fri 14-Jun-13 13:12:03

The Winnie the poo one. Us Two

allpoetry.com/poem/8518997-Us_Two-by-A.A._Milne

Granny23 Fri 14-Jun-13 15:08:15

Here is one I found when looking for something for my DGD to read at her parents wedding:

"All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten," by Robert Fulgham

All of what I really need to know about how to live, and what to do, and how to be, I learned in Kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sandbox at nursery school.
These are the things I learned…

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Give them to someone who feels sad.
Live a balanced life.
Learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day.
Take a nap every afternoon.
Be aware of wonder.
Remember the little seed in the plastic cup? The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.

Everything you need to know is in there somewhere.
And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out into the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

BTW - after all my efforts and those of fellow Gransnetters (to whom many thanks) my DD and her DD have decided to go with the one I wrote in the first place.

Lindylooby Fri 14-Jun-13 15:29:29

What about this one? I found this 20 years ago in a garden centre scroll and loved it straight away. We had it read out at our wedding in 1996, by the local Mayor, (I was his daughter's PA)! and I put it on the back of the Order of Service at my Husband's funeral 4 weeks ago, as it had always been important to us.
ALWAYS LOVE EACH OTHER
If you can always be
as Close and happy as today
Yet be secure enough to grow
and change along the way
If you can keep for you alone your love as
man and wife
Yet find the time to share your joy with others in your life
If you can be as one and walk through marriage
hand in hand
Yet still support the goals and dreams that
each of you has planned
If you can dare to always go
your separate ways together
Then all the wonder of today will last with you
FOREVER

nanaej Fri 14-Jun-13 15:41:24

lindylooby those sentiments are just lovely. flowers

mrsmopp Fri 14-Jun-13 20:52:50

Some lovely ideas here, many thanks, I will ask the couple to pick their favourite. Appreciated all your suggestions.

LizG Fri 14-Jun-13 22:50:06

[showing off alert] I wrote a poem for my daughter's wedding. I incuded memories from her life and some of those from her husbands. I think people were surprised but I loved every moment of the preparation.

Galen Fri 14-Jun-13 22:57:13

How many husbands?confused

LizG Fri 14-Jun-13 23:06:54

That'll learn me to read things through first smile

Galen Fri 14-Jun-13 23:10:16

grin