Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ideas for Golden Wedding gift?

(30 Posts)
snowybird Tue 18-Jun-13 09:08:18

I wonder whether you can help me with ideas for my parents' Golden Wedding, which is coming up in a few weeks? They have just downsized and are giving away many of their pictures, ornaments etc so nothing of that kind would be suitable. My mother is relentlessly practical now (I got it just right with the cotton pile doormat on her birthday) whereas my father is more nostalgic/romantic. They spent many years living overseas, enjoying the good things in life, so they are very choosy when it comes to holidays. My dad is active and sporty (and already has two bikes) whereas my mother prefers quilting and her health doesn't allow her to do anything too active. They don't use the internet and don't want to. They claim they don't want any presents. However they actually do expect something, ideally something tasteful and not too expensive. Any ideas please? Many thanks!

Auntieflo Sun 18-Sep-16 14:13:02

Eirel, I used to love sugared almonds, but they are just too hard these days. The old teeth need protecting. ?

Elrel Sun 18-Sep-16 14:34:45

SiL laughs at DD saying that word, apparently us Midlanders get it wrong!

Elrel Sun 18-Sep-16 14:45:13

OP Father being nostalgic, would music and Golden Oldie films ffrom 50 years ago be an idea? Hmm, now I think harder music is going to be Beatles, Stones or Flowers in your Hair I guess. Perhaps not appropriate for your parents.

Jalima Sun 18-Sep-16 14:45:46

Ilrina it may have been an advert, nothing offensive, but not allowed!