Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christening gift ideas?

(40 Posts)
LyndaW Sat 10-Aug-13 14:42:30

It's my granddaughter's christening at the end of this month. She's almost 2 and I'd really like to get her a gift that she can keep. Does anybody have any suggestions? Not keen on the silver rattles or money boxes but other than that open to ideas?

getwork Wed 23-Nov-16 05:13:00

When I want to find best gift I always go to goo.gl/lIzt2x - they rock!

Shanma Mon 17-Oct-16 14:06:33

When our DGD was Christened we decided not to go for the usual rattles, money boxes and the like. We bought an antique Brooch. We hope that she will perhaps wear it when she is older. We will add other unusual and antique jewellery as the years progress. If she doesn't want to wear it she can display it in her room, and hopefully appreciate it that way, and finally pass it on to her own offspring one day.

aliana770515 Mon 17-Oct-16 12:17:58

Hey,

Yeah agreed, christening gifts can be tricky... I always suggest going with something parents and child are definitely going to use or something sentimental like you mentioned... An alternative would be to buy the Christening Dress yourself.. parents traditionally keep that for a long time so that makes sense.. although you would have to know there preferential style I guess.. try M&S as well though.. I remember they had a whole section on baby gift ideas if I recall correctly... hope this helps everyone..smile
Aliana

Galen Tue 11-Nov-14 17:11:31

I misread that as for each of our two dogs! I thought blimey!

Coolgran65 Tue 11-Nov-14 16:32:09

For each of our dgc we bought a Steiff teddy with their name and DOB embroidered on the soles of the feet. A bit expensive at £200+. In a spirit of emotion we got one for the first dgc and could do no less for the others.

For a token gift I order on line, the site might be "countryheart" , they do lovely boxed personalized wooden cards, plaque for door etc there are lovely and not cheap looking.

Also there is a gorgeous little book called...You Know How Much I Love You. It only costs about £5 and ends with beautiful words... to the moon and back.

pompa Tue 11-Nov-14 16:00:13

We bought one of these for our GD, we had it engraved.

www.hersey.co.uk/silver-bookmark-rectangular-heavy?gclid=cjwkeaiahiejbrckm_ftxiwyyxcsjabxy0xy-mjuym-dl-dmrxryuzaytuu2knn_nm-4vbueworxyxocrhrw_wcb

pompa Mon 10-Nov-14 08:09:56

I hate choosing christening presents. So many just get put in a draw never to see the light of day again. I try to think of something that they will treasure later in life and may appreciate in value. How about a piece of antique silver ?

Greenfinch Mon 10-Nov-14 07:16:28

granjo That is why I put the question mark.I think I should maybe have reported it as a bit of incoherent advertising. Never mind!confused I liked your story anyway and it was worth posting. I carried a white Bible on my wedding day. It would have been even lovelier if it had been a christening present.

granjo39 Sun 09-Nov-14 17:24:00

Sorry, just noticed the dates realised that I am a bit late with this post.

granjo39 Sun 09-Nov-14 17:20:51

When my daughter was christened 35 years ago I suggested to my Aunt that she bought a white bible and write inside the date and occasion etc.I thought that it would be nice for her to carry on her wedding day with her bouquet. 27 years later 10 minutes before we left for the church my daughter suddenly said Mum where is my white bible I was so pleased that she decided to carry it on that special day.Even though my Aunt had passed away many years earlier I'm sure that she will have been smiling down on her.

Greenfinch Sun 09-Nov-14 00:42:16

?

GrannyNanny Sun 09-Nov-14 00:04:56

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

frankie74 Sun 24-Nov-13 21:26:50

We bought the complete set of Beatrix Potter tales in a specially bound single volume, from Amazon. It is beautiful

Elegran Sun 24-Nov-13 19:22:45

The Sea of Galilee has an area of 64 square miles, so at sixty dollars for half a pint, it is an almost inexhaustible source.

Elegran Sun 24-Nov-13 19:19:08

It is nearly sixty dollars for a 10oz bottle, so I'd say it is a sign that you are not inclined to spend that much money on water.

Nelliemoser Sun 24-Nov-13 19:11:29

I have just reported the Galilee water post as a spam, but I could not write anything into the report spam box. Do you think that is a sign?

GNHQ my reasons as given in my first post.

Mishap Sun 24-Nov-13 18:52:08

I have just given my DGD for her christening: a beautifully illustrated book of nursery rhymes dedicated to her and signed by the author; and a lovely little pink and white carousel music box. Both items to be treasured rather than chewed!

I would not touch the Galilee water with a barge pole - I would guess it is a bit polluted!

Nelliemoser Sun 24-Nov-13 18:42:44

That threads been cold for three months! Is this an advert or am I a cynic?

ojacky Sun 24-Nov-13 17:58:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Anne58 Mon 12-Aug-13 10:26:16

Another idea on the fruit trees theme, rent a cherry tree!

www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/10184911/Rent-your-own-cherry-tree.html

NfkDumpling Mon 12-Aug-13 07:28:44

My best friend, Godmother to my son, gave him a pair of cut glass brandy glasses as his christening present. They came in very handy - eventually!

LyndaW Sun 11-Aug-13 17:33:52

Granny23, that is unique! What a great way of helping them save up for studies/house/travel etc. And I love the other ideas of something growing alongside her too. Thanks smile

Granny23 Sun 11-Aug-13 12:52:39

My DGC each got an apple tree. They are now 6,5 & 4 and all their trees are bearing fruit, even the oldest one which successfully moved gardens 4 years ago. Very special to pick fruit from their 'own' tree.

Our farming relatives gave each of their children a lamb and another at each birthday. At shearing the money from their sheep went into their bank accounts, yielding a substantial sum by the time they were eighteen.

MiceElf Sun 11-Aug-13 12:03:41

A rose tree or perhaps an olive tree would be a possibility, it will mature with the child and give pleasure for many years to come.

glammanana Sun 11-Aug-13 11:13:42

When DGD was christened I was at a loss as what to buy her as a special gift so opted for a star in her name you receive a certificate and details of the star and it is registered in your chosen name,different packages are available.
buyastar.com