Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

DIL won't bring my grandson to my home

(69 Posts)
Failte81 Tue 13-Aug-13 03:09:26

We have a beautiful three month old grandson whom we visit regularly and we are made very welcome however my DIL has made it plain that he can't come to our home as we have a dog (great soft Labrador) and there are hairs around. She says that she is allergic to pet hairs and so baby might be too, although she grew up with dogs at her mums.he stays overnight there regularly. I'm broken hearted about this. Any ideas x

Greatnan Thu 29-Aug-13 05:38:10

GA - I rest my case!

grannyactivist Thu 29-Aug-13 01:13:45

Greatnan there are people who do see the death of a pet in the same light as any other death of a loved one. The week that my son in law was killed in Afghanistan my mother rang my daughter to commiserate with her and told her that she knew exactly how she felt because her cat had also just died. confused
(My mum won't ever win prizes for tact or sensitivity.)

jeanie99 Thu 29-Aug-13 00:00:21

My daughter gives birth to our first grandchild in October and I wouldn't dream about telling her how to bring up her baby.
If she asks for advice I'll give it but otherwise it's mouth closed.

jeanie99 Wed 28-Aug-13 23:57:44

If you are happy to visit your grandchild and are very welcome I would leave it at that.
Only a mother and father can make the decisions about how their child is raised and if that includes not taking their baby to someones house with dogs then that's it.
Don't get stressed about this enjoy your grandchild.

Greatnan Sat 17-Aug-13 20:45:58

I would agree completely with your friend. I just don't know how I would cope, but I know people do - but who knows how much they suffer in silence?

absent Sat 17-Aug-13 20:40:23

Greatnan No, of course I wasn't claiming that.

One is never quite prepared for death – of pets or people.

One of my dearest friends, whose first-born died early in life, once said, "If you can cope with the death of your child, you then have the strength to cope with anything life throws at you."

Greatnan Sat 17-Aug-13 20:37:12

I know the joy that cats (and dogs) can bring and I miss having one. I just remarked that it is inevitable, in the normal run of things, that they will die before their owners, so it is better to be prepared.
And I am sure nobody on Gransnet would claim that the loss of a pet can be equated with that of a child.

Tegan Sat 17-Aug-13 20:28:31

Do giant tortoises count? What about Lonesome George [well, before he was dead, that is]?

Galen Sat 17-Aug-13 20:28:02

A tortoise perhaps. My garden isn't big enough to house a marine tank for a giant turtle?

Aka Sat 17-Aug-13 20:25:23

No-one claiming love of a giant turtle? sad

absent Sat 17-Aug-13 20:24:10

Greatnan As someone who has just spent thousands of pounds transporting my three remaining cats halfway across the world, I can only say that the joy one gets from pets while they are alive vastly outweighs the sadness one feels at their comparatively early deaths.

whenim64 Sat 17-Aug-13 20:23:26

So do I - we had two African Greys when the children were younger. They spoke in our voices, and would have us in stitches, copying everything they heard. Such good fun! smile

Tegan Sat 17-Aug-13 20:17:28

I love parrots.

Aka Sat 17-Aug-13 16:24:44

I don't think I could grow to love a giant turtle or a parrot.

gracesmum Sat 17-Aug-13 14:30:58

"spooked" of course.

gracesmum Sat 17-Aug-13 14:30:27

I have a lovely greyhound who is I think bombproof, but can think she is a puppy and get quite boisterous when people arrive and I knew DD was apprehensive about DGS1 never being alone with the dog so I took (and still take) the easiest way out and Grace goes to kennels when the DGC are here now. It is a shame but she doesn't seem to mind, life is easier with one less person (!) to worry about and I would hate the boys to be "spooke" by her as to them she is HUGE of course. I first got a dog when DD was 4 as she was afraid of dogs and she was brought up with a soppy bombproof labrador who as she lived until she was 16 was with us throughout all the time DD lived at home before going to university. Maybe a lab wold have been tolerated, I don't know, but I think things change when it is your own baby. Although greyhounds have very short hair, I still hoover like mad when the boys are coming, double check the lawn with a magnifying glass and take every precaution. Easiest all round

Failte81 Sat 17-Aug-13 14:06:48

Well, thanks for all that valuable advice xx I think I will go with the walking out first and suggest doggy day care for the first few times they come to visit. We have a very placid (wormed and deflead) dog who I think in later years will be a good friend to our grandson. But as they say.....baby steps x thanks again

whenim64 Fri 16-Aug-13 21:08:22

......AND they poop scoop their dogs' poo so no-one has to be in contact with it.

whenim64 Fri 16-Aug-13 21:06:31

Can be picked up from dogs faeces when they haven't been regularly wormed. Responsible pet owners make sure they are.

Galen Fri 16-Aug-13 20:57:00

Can be picked up from anywhere that dogs defaecate! Ie: shit!

Galen Fri 16-Aug-13 20:55:14

Toxacari canis! NASTY!

Stansgran Fri 16-Aug-13 20:44:43

I met an eye surgeon who treated children with something called toxocariasis(I think) and the family would not do anything about the dog"it's part of the family" it would be enlightening to know how many children with this disease came from families with dogs. As far as I'm concerned all trainers are removed before coming out of the hall as goodness knows what is lurking in the crevices. We've just been to some sheep dog trials. My walking boots are in the garage waiting for disinfection.

Greatnan Fri 16-Aug-13 14:44:30

I think dogs make wonderful companions and serve so many useful purposes - guide dogs, hearing dogs, epileptic warner, sniffing out cancer, finding drugs, finding bodies under snow or in collapsed buildings - they are invaluable. I still don't want them licking my face!

The landlady of one of my rentals in France was childless and had a large slobbering boxer type dog. She was very offended if I pushed him away as I didn't enjoy having his saliva all over me. She also said that if he died (if?) it would be as tragic as if a woman lost a child. I suggested she didn't repeat that to any bereaved mother.

Unless you have a giant turtle or a parrot for a pet, it is likely to die before you, so it seems silly to invest as much love in them as some people do.

grumppa Fri 16-Aug-13 11:07:20

If you have adequate doormats Aka, what's your problem with other people's shoes? Preferable to feet in many cases!

nightowl Fri 16-Aug-13 11:02:05

grin