Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help please mobile phone

(14 Posts)
Eleanorre Thu 22-Aug-13 19:11:22

I have a Samsung GT-S3650 mobile phone using Tesco . When I try to listen to my voicemail it tells me I am a new customer and must change my pin . I have been through this before but cannot remember how you can dial then hold the keyboard at the same time otherwise I loose the keyboard. Sometimes I hate my phone , any help appreciated .

celebgran Fri 23-Aug-13 08:53:54

Have samsung galaxy fame. I press voicemail and then the phone symbol is bit tricky some ways preferred my older phone!

This has way too many functions.

Sorry not much help!

LizG Fri 23-Aug-13 09:22:26

I am afraid I gave up my Samsung and went for a Nokia which is fractionally better but have never worked out how to use Voicemail so, sorry, I am of no use to you whatsoever. Why oh why do they have to make things so difficult? confused

dorsetpennt Fri 23-Aug-13 09:26:12

I have a new Samsung Galaxy and love it - all the apps and internet work and I can fiddle around with FaceBook when I'm travelling - up and down to London quite a lot.

Oldgreymare Fri 23-Aug-13 10:25:39

I have an old (ish) Nokia and I was able to access voicemail but now I can't, I just get a continuous beep. I have been advised to speak to my network provider (O2).... yet to do so!
I would love a new phone, especially one with the use of a 'qwerty' keyboard, but the cost puts me off, so I 'make do' with my old one.hmm

Nelliemoser Fri 23-Aug-13 12:59:21

I am hopeless on this stuff. Mine is a very basic model indeed, for which I paid £25 about three years ago when DH was in hospital and my old one circa 1997 had suddenly broken completely. It was a temporary measure at the time but I have never been bothered to buy a better one.

Bez Fri 23-Aug-13 13:33:15

DH was given an iPhone this week - got it linked into the broadband OK but we need to go and get it done so he can use his Tesco SIM card. He spent all yesterday afternoon fiddling with it and I kept out of the way - my phone is the simplest possible and only buy a new one when the old one fails in some way - or like I did with one phone - drop it in the toilet!!!

Eloethan Fri 23-Aug-13 23:24:12

I was quite happy with my old phone but my husband insisted we should update to avoid becoming technological dinosaurs. The result is that I have all sorts of functions on my phone that I can't use and don't particularly want. But those that I found useful before (such as accessing voicemail) are now a mystery to me.

Backagain Sat 24-Aug-13 09:14:31

I was in the same boat as Eloethan, having been presented with a Blackberry. I've now gone back to my ancient nokia - it's so old vintage it doesn't have a number or name any more but I think it's a 3310. Family squirm with embarrassment if I produce it in public and mock because it doesn't have a coloured screen. Why should I need to text in colour? confused

Nelliemoser Sat 24-Aug-13 09:35:07

I know the groans of embarrassment from my children when I produce my phone! I am hoping one or the other might give me their old ones when they next upgrade. That is how a number of my friends have got more modern ones.
However whether I can learn to use all the functions it is another matter.

top7mobiles Mon 02-Sep-13 18:21:25

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MargaretX Mon 02-Sep-13 18:47:38

I have got a Sony Xperia and decided after having other smaller mobile phones not to have a password. It s so easy without and as I don't intend to do internet banking on it or go onto e-bay then I don't need a password and the PIN number remains unused. I touch the Mobilbox icon and it opens, no trouble at all.

Stansgran Mon 02-Sep-13 19:06:07

I have an a ancient Nokia which I pay as I go when Boots have double points offers. Unless I want to speak to someone I keep it turned off and only three people know the number. I have the cheapest phone usage of anyone I know.

GrannyGear Tue 03-Sep-13 09:12:40

I have a Doro mobile phone.it's the opposite of a "smart" phone, a stupid phone, a dowdy phone, an oldie's phone? But just right for me! Keys large enough to read without a magnifying glass and press without hitting the next two numbers as well.
I can make phone calls and receive them and send and receive text messages - and that is all I want from a phone. If i want to listen to the radio or send an email or surf the internet I use the appropriate gadget, not my phone. It's on pay as you go and has something like £10 left on the card so it wouldn't be a disaster if lost or stolen.