Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fashionable words!

(172 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Sun 08-Sep-13 20:29:06

What do other GNetters think of all of the latest descriptions of things we took for granted. The comment about NCT made me think. I will list a few:

Babies now have a 'Growth Spurt' (mine just grew and fed accordingly)
Babies now suffer from Separation Anxiety (mine were clingy at times)
Breasts now have 'Fore milk, something in the middle and something at the end (mine just fed the baby until it was full)
Babies have to bond with the father before anything else in the world (mine bonded as and when daddy was home from work)
Some babies 'co-sleep' (mine sometimes slept with me but mostly in their crib by the bed)
Some babies are being brought up with something called 'Attachment' (mine were put in a sling and carried round)
Dads seem to need and update on everything Baby does via text several times a day so that he doesn't feel neglected.

There must be more strange and wonderful things going on in bringing up babies these days. Any thoughts? grin

thatbags Mon 09-Sep-13 08:46:22

If anything, the modern trend in carrying babies more and baby-led weaning (or whatever you want to call it, like just weaning!), is going back to basic stuff rather than inventing some new approach. I certainly had images of Latin American women with babies tied on when I had mine slung on, and I thought about how women in Africa with few implements would wean their babies – they'd shove some soft pap in the child's mouth when it showed an interest. Simple. The best ways always are.

annodomini Mon 09-Sep-13 09:02:10

Never heard of fore and hind milk! I just hitched them up to the nipple and gave them both sides. Both flourished. Thank goodness for ignorance. I am sure that if I had been bombarded with all this information, I'd have been a neurotic mum.

nightowl Mon 09-Sep-13 09:56:49

I think that was the point I was trying to make anno. They could easily become neurotic nowadays and it's to their credit if they don't.

JessM Mon 09-Sep-13 22:20:41

As long as they don't get it in their earnest young heads that vaccination is a "bad thing" or that grandparent visiting is the kiss of death to "bonding" I don't think it matters too much what they do.

Flowerofthewest Mon 09-Sep-13 22:36:07

My DD was a bit neurotic with her first baby but did suffer from postpartum depression. She is absolutely fine with the second baby (7weeks) and quite laid back. I am so proud of her.

Like Annodomini I too stuck them on (all five) - not all at once though - and fed both sides. I fed 4 of them until well past 2 and they all flourished.

On the subject of African mothers, I once saw a documentary about young - 6year old - children taking their baby siblings to the field to work. The way the children got the babies to sleep was to place their mouths over the baby's nose and mouth and breathe into them. The babies fell asleep in no time. Amazing - could it have been the carbon dioxide making them sleepy.

pinkprincess Tue 10-Sep-13 20:34:28

About fathers must bond as early as possible.

My DH was away in merchant navy when DS2 was born and did not see him till he was two months old.All the bonding came later on, when DS was misbehaving as a teenager.

Baby slings

I had one for both of my sons.It was a Mothercare one and went across your body, I only used it when going out though as I found it got in the way in the house.My SIL told me she had what she called a ''cuddle seat'' for her youngest in the 60s.She used it for going on the bus with him.My grandmother's generation hardly used prams for the first few weeks, they carried their babies around n a shawl.
I remember my grandfather telling me how his mother, who had seven children, leaving the baby in a wooden cradle in the bedroom while she got on with housework etc. This cradle had rockers, and she had a rope attached to the bar between the rockers which was fed through a hole in the floor and the end hung from the downstairs ceiling.Whenever the baby was heard crying, she, or anyone handy, would tug on the rope to set the cradle rocking so the baby would hopefully go back to sleep until she was able to attend to him/her.That was my greatgrandmother's Attachment parenting.

JessM Wed 11-Sep-13 17:14:52

Suspect a lot of dads bond when the kids start interacting and moving around don't they, not when they are newborns.

j08 Wed 11-Sep-13 18:24:16

shock I think you're wrong there Jess. Be a bit late then!

JessM Wed 11-Sep-13 18:34:38

Not at all. What about army dads and the like?
Lots of people don't connect with newborns, grandparents included, but once they start doing cute stuff it's a different matter. Never too late to fall in love with 'em.

Penstemmon Wed 11-Sep-13 18:41:41

I was so uninformed as a young mum that I just whizzed up whatever we(DH & I)were having and gave it to the baby! Spag bol, risotto, falafel & tahini, casserole etc! Never knew about 'no salt' etc..they enjoyed it all and thrived!

Penstemmon Wed 11-Sep-13 18:41:41

I was so uninformed as a young mum that I just whizzed up whatever we(DH & I)were having and gave it to the baby! Spag bol, risotto, falafel & tahini, casserole etc! Never knew about 'no salt' etc..they enjoyed it all and thrived!

Deedaa Wed 11-Sep-13 21:02:49

Well according to the latest research you were absolutely right Penstemmon apparently home cooked food is twice as nutritious as the stuff in jars, which is also full of sugar.

Flowerofthewest Sat 14-Sep-13 17:28:26

Yep, both my DDs make their own and babies thrive.

Penstemmon Sat 14-Sep-13 17:31:30

Oh my DDs made babyfood for their children but they left out the salt and sugar! I didn't!

kittylester Sat 14-Sep-13 17:34:38

It's a shame that there is so much information around now as it must be really difficult for today's mums to go on their own instinct as we did in the 'olden days'.

Greatnan Sat 14-Sep-13 18:07:22

I must have been a terrible grandmother. I just left my daughters to it - the seemed very knowledgeable and all ten grandchildren survived. They breastfed all of them until they were nearly two, sometimes two at a time because they were so close in age. They also breastfed each others when they were babysitting. Now they are both grandmothers and although one did try to interfere when her daughter was trying to wean her baby, she got short shrift. The other one would not dream of trying to tell her daughter-in-law how to bring up her children. (Especially as she lives 12,000 miles away!)
Unless a child is genuinely at risk, I think the best thing that grandparents can do is smile and say how wonderful young parents are coping.

kittylester Sat 14-Sep-13 19:12:53

Exactly, GN. smile

Ana Sat 14-Sep-13 19:17:03

I know I'll get shouted down for this, but I find it odd that they breast-fed each other's babies. Yes, I know it's illogical, and they were sisters, but even so...

MiceElf Sat 14-Sep-13 19:23:12

Why would you use the phrase 'shouted down'? I think it's an extremely sensible thing to do. My reaction was what lucky young women to be so close and to be able to share child care in every respect.

bluebell Sat 14-Sep-13 19:27:27

Does shouted down mean someone may have the temerity to disagree with you?

thatbags Sat 14-Sep-13 19:27:30

Why is it odd to breast feed a baby who isn't your own? Wet nurses, anyone?

Greatnan Sat 14-Sep-13 19:28:12

Fortunately, Ana, your opinion is not of much importance to my daughters! They regard breast feeding as the most natural thing in the world, and when their nephew was crying, and they had plenty of milk, they did what mothers do all over the world. No need to be prudish!

Greatnan Sat 14-Sep-13 19:29:40

Sh.....Ana might think you are shouting! grin

Ana Sat 14-Sep-13 19:33:00

Don't be so silly, bluebell - I'm certainly not a member that everyone always agrees with! grin

Greatnan and Bags, we've already established on another thread that I'm a prude, so I'll carry on, if nobody minds...

absent Sat 14-Sep-13 19:34:33

You don't have to be sisters to breastfeed someone else's child.