Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

what to buy

(19 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Tue 05-Nov-13 12:24:51

Hannoona Don't forget the Runrig CD

Gagagran Tue 05-Nov-13 11:14:35

Our four DGC all have books, games, toys etc. in large amounts so we agreed with their parents that for Christmas and birthdays we would put cash in their bank accounts and just buy "something to open" without spending a lot.

It has worked well and the bank accounts will come in handy in the next few years when Uni fees kick in. I keep a note in my diary throughout the year if I have a brainwave as to what they might like and also buy things I see e.g. a table tennis set from Aldi which was about £8.

Hannoona Tue 05-Nov-13 06:34:23

An introduction to Beryl the Peril, The Broons, Oor Willie, Desperate Dan, Dennis The Menace etc.

Something Loch Ness Monster related - you could go down the funny route so not to scare her.

A small stick of Rock but not that horrible soft Edinburgh Rock stuff - even the thought of it makes me boak.

Tablet

A ribbon for her hair in the family tartan but that may be a bit of a bummer if the parcel is for her birthday and the wee boy next door gets it.

Pencils and rubbers marked with her ancestral birth place smile

Being me I'd be tempted to try and get something clootie dumpling related in their as well but ............... :D

Kate13 Tue 05-Nov-13 05:46:22

I want to do a Scottish themed pass the parcel for my 5 year old DGD, living abroad. Any ideas on trinkets to put in?

jeanie99 Tue 05-Nov-13 00:32:29

Start a savings account for him, children seem to receive so many toys etc these days and why buy for the sake of it.
He'll appreciate the money in the years to come.

granmouse Mon 04-Nov-13 13:31:48

My dgs has a cheapish digital camera. He loves taking photos and printing them using the computer. He has made a little photo book called My Garden with photos of odds and ends (wwe won't mention the pooing cat). The camera is a big favourite. Dgs will be 5 in February.

jayceecee Mon 04-Nov-13 12:23:01

I have to say the 'tablet' idea is a good one. My DGS is just 4 years old and he is allowed regular time on DD's tablet. There are some amazing apps - not just games but really good educational ones as well. He is limited to one hour - and yes he will play on it for that length of time! (She uses a large eggtimer for the 5 minute call!). As positivepam says, they can be expensive but not all are. Unfortunately we cannot escape technology and the sooner they learn their way around a screen the better.

grannyactivist Sun 03-Nov-13 23:29:19

When my parents in law turned 70 we decided that each of their birthdays would be marked by a 'memory' experience from then on and discovered that actually our own children valued these experiences too.

Flowerofthewest Sun 03-Nov-13 23:19:12

Ah, I see others have mentioned memories etc, maybe go down that route

Flowerofthewest Sun 03-Nov-13 23:18:29

How about an experience, ie zoo, wildlife park, science museum, treasure hunt, scavenger hunt. You could start a trend of experiences for birthdays in place of a gift. They will remember it forever

positivepam Sun 03-Nov-13 22:52:40

I know this may not appeal to all and some might think this is too advanced for this age group but, my DD is thinking of buying our DGS who is nearly five a "Tablet", he loves to play on cbeebies, all the games and many other things that children can do. I know some can be very expensive but it is possible to get reasonably priced ones, suitable for their basic needs. We have seen one at about £32, which I think isn't bad, because even the toy computers cost a lot more than this. Just an idea if you do not want to go along the "toy" route. Good luck with your hunting.

Granny23 Sun 03-Nov-13 17:43:17

I second the idea of a disposable camera, perhaps with a small album to put the pictures in. Another perennial favourite is a torch. All 3 DGC love torches and musical things. Last X..S we bought a proper but small snare drum for 5-y-o DGD1 who had shown great interest in Grandpa's drum kit. He has given her a few informal lessons and she has now mastered the basics. She can also knock out a tune or two on her small keyboard. DGS and DGD2 also have musical instruments - recorder, ukulele, small guitar, mouth organ, keyboard, etc. No pressure or lessons just encouragement when they play with them.

Must say that the favourite toy of all last Christmas was the giant, inflatable, radio controlled, goldfish (you can get sharks too) which was actually a present for SIL. The Goldfish 'chased' the children around the house and slept on their bedroom ceiling. It also spent a lot of time floating about in the bay window to the amusement of passers by.

Cressida Sun 03-Nov-13 17:28:16

Are you anywhere near a Diggerland? You can buy family tickets on their website that can be used at any time.

BAnanas Sun 03-Nov-13 17:04:19

Maybe some swimming lessons if there is a pool nearby.

glammanana Sun 03-Nov-13 16:33:40

^^ (sp) adopted.hmm

glammanana Sun 03-Nov-13 16:32:54

Is he interested in animals if so how about adopting an animal at your nearest zoo he will get updates as to how it is over the year and get special treatment when he goes to visit,we do this with youngest DGS over the years he has adotped an elephant and an endandered rhino.

grannyactivist Sun 03-Nov-13 16:22:06

How about making a memory with a trip to a pantomime? You could give him a disposable camera to take photo's as a memento.

janeainsworth Sun 03-Nov-13 16:20:48

Unless there is something particular that he wants/ needs, why not buy him a few little things to open and give his parents money to invest on his behalf?

pattieb Sun 03-Nov-13 16:08:07

Any ideas as to what to buy for our 5 year old Grandson who has loads of toys already ?

We want to buy a main present and bits and pieces to put in a stocking

He has lots of star wars and ninja turtles stuff (His Mum is a bit obsessed with both so is re living her childhood)
Not really interested in lego or jigsaws and has lots of games, videos, books
Any ideas gratefully received