Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where to find stylish clothes for mature ladies in small sizes (6)?

(17 Posts)
Helenaeverson Wed 24-Sep-14 22:30:49

www.maygrace.com
www.maygrace.co.uk
I had the same problem, but no longer as the clothes from this website are perfect! Women's sizes 4-12 and good prices considering how well the clothes fit me! They are delivered very quick in the cutest packaging! Hope this helps you as much as it did me, good luck ladies!xxx

MiceElf Tue 03-Dec-13 10:09:26

That's helpful, although I'm not as slim as you. I tend to keep my clothes for years and today I dug out my two warmest winter skirts. One is a Minuet size 12 which fits perfectly (15 years old) and the other, bought in a hurry about five years so, is an M&S size 10 which slithers off me and is too well made to unpick and refashion.

I just wish every retailer would standardise their sizes.

HSFF Tue 03-Dec-13 09:49:05

Thank you Ninathenana for recommending our site. Glad to hear you're fit and well NannyR and hope you are able to find some lovely trousers that fit. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to get in contact via the website.

ninathenana Sat 23-Nov-13 14:38:07

Have a look here www.highstreetfitfinder.com/petite

Tegan Sat 23-Nov-13 10:29:10

Principles always used to do a 'petite]'' range but I'm not sure that the shop exists these days [don't go into town much].

thatbags Sat 23-Nov-13 10:20:11

Just read this thread title as "where to find dishcloths for mature ladies"!!!!

harrigran Sat 23-Nov-13 10:15:08

DD is a size 6 and she often shops at Karen Millen and LK Bennett when in this country but also shops in designer outlets in Belgium, where she lives.

Thistledoo Fri 22-Nov-13 18:45:15

O NannyR I agree with you wholeheartedly, I am 5ft 1in and a size 8, I search everywhere for clothes that suit and are not teeny boppery. I liked a pair of jeans in M&S and asked the assistant if she could get me a pair in a size 8, Oh sorry she said we don't have a call for small sizes.
Its so frustrating when you see something you really like only to discover that it isn't made in small sizes.

NannyR Fri 22-Nov-13 18:20:30

Thanks for feedback. FlicketyB, I believe we should wear whatever we are happy in, whatever our age. I'm just not happy in 'distressed' or very skinny fit jeans which is often all you get on the High Street in a 6 at the moment. Thanks NannaAnna, will try Miss Selfridge. Our local Top Shop didn't have anything but will try a larger store.

NannaAnna Thu 21-Nov-13 22:10:16

NannyR I think plenty of the 'standard' items like jeans, trousers and tops sold by retailers like Miss Selfridge and Topshop, who do a size 6 as a standard size, are fine for everyone. I still shop in both!

thatbags Thu 21-Nov-13 21:43:16

Except sometimes for babies and children.

thatbags Thu 21-Nov-13 21:41:31

They don't.

FlicketyB Thu 21-Nov-13 21:10:30

Why do clothes have to be age appropriate?

NannyR Thu 21-Nov-13 14:03:48

It's good to know I'm not alone :-) Think I may follow your lead Grummy. I feel like a change. Leggings and long tops with boots sounds a nice look - comfy too!

Bellasnana Thu 21-Nov-13 13:39:59

Me too. It is very difficult to find age-appropriate clothes in small sizes.

Grummy Thu 21-Nov-13 13:24:09

Hi NannyR, I have the same problem, 6-8 is my natural size, I tend to wear leggings, longish tops and boots. All the clothing magazines, mail orders, etc which cater for the over 50s seem to think that sizes start at 12, it's infuriating.

NannyR Thu 21-Nov-13 13:10:30

Please can anyone out there help? Have lost some weight due to cancer treatment and am now thankfully, very fit and well and feel I have gained back as much weight as I think I am going to. I am 5'4" so not 'petite' but am an average size 6. Have tried everywhere to find clothes. Tops are not such a problem but trousers are impossible. Jeggings are easy to find and skin tight trousers, but I am nearly 60 and just want some nice bootleg type fitted trousers. Thought I had cracked it with Boden but they tend to be large on the waist and mainly 'cropped' or tight leg. Have even tried girlswear in some stores but they are not the right cut and tend to have elasticated waists. I am sure I can't be the only one having this problem. Have found jeans in New Look but feel like 'Mutton dressed as lamb'. Any help would be gratefully received.