Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

why do boys, when taking their socks/undies off have to throw them as far as poss!!!

(34 Posts)
bikergran Fri 13-Dec-13 14:09:08

I have noticed this before..(doesn't bother me in the least) but!! when GS (age 7) takes his socks off, doesn't matter what time of day/night it is..he always seems to throw them to kingdom come!! never takes them off and just puts them down or in wash basket..he just wizzies them across the room lol...is it a "boys" thing? I only had girls and then didn't do this...hmm

penguinpaperback Fri 13-Dec-13 23:25:40

My little GS, age 6 does the sock fling thing. I picked GD up from school today and school had kindly lent her some tights as she had fallen over in a wet playground. She came out looking like Nora Batty, in a pair of tights age 11-12. GD is 4. smile But as GD said 'at least they are dry.'

rosesarered Mon 23-Dec-13 21:52:24

When my son was young, he had a laundry basket and used it! In fact, he liked putting things in there a bit too much [clean things got in as well.]So I never had problems, but my daughters were another matter, they would leave clothes all over the floor for the servant to pick up [me] so it can't be a gender thing. My DG aged 9 flings all his clothes as far as possible.DH leaves his where they fall at night [ie next to bed even though he has a chair to drape them on]but he does put them in laundry basket the next morning.I fold mine carefully on a chair [but then..... I'm wonderful, as DH often tells me, but in a sarcastic kind of way.]

Icyalittle Tue 24-Dec-13 07:39:35

I am laughing my socks off at these - an even easier way to do it!

thatbags Tue 24-Dec-13 07:58:31

Minibags drops her clothes all over her bedroom, or did until very recently. They don't get washed if she doesn't put them in the laundry basket. She lost her very good winter coat at school – got soaked walking because she'd missed the school bus because she was being chaotic about getting up; left it sopping and probably going mouldy, in a locker for three weeks! I made her pay for it before I bought another cheaper but still good one. That took us into the really cold weather. She knows the score now hmm.

DDs one and two used to lob socks around until I asked them why they were telling me they had no clean socks. Why did I need to know this?

Make 'em do without socks for a day or two. They soon learn, or decide they don't mind going sockless. Whichever... it's their problem and their decision about how to cope. Teaches them that mum isn't their slave too.

ps Tue 24-Dec-13 20:55:05

bikergran the answer to your question is because they can and because there is probably a doting mother and / or grandmother around to pick up the offending articles. I had a boy and girl and the boy did exactly the same until time to go to school when it had to stop. Education is the key perhaps but boys will always be boys. As for adult boys who do it I would suggest a minimum of 4 years in the Army, Navy or Air Force, that should sort it.

Lona Tue 24-Dec-13 21:13:47

I think I may have posted before, that if my son didn't put his stuff away it was to be found at the bottom of the garden in a bin bag!
He learned very quickly!

glassortwo Tue 24-Dec-13 21:54:52

My MIL would throw anything that was left on the floor into the garden, often I would find a pile of things lying in the middle of the crazy paving. tchgrin didnt stop them doing it.

bikergran Tue 24-Dec-13 22:32:26

lol .......smile