Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

When do you take yours down?

(105 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 01-Jan-14 19:20:31

Evening all, all good wishes for the year etc.

Just wondering when you feel it is right/appropriate to take the decorations down?

Yes, I know it seems only a moment ago that I was asking for your support re actually putting any up, we did, and jolly festive (and of course tasteful!) they looked too!

Now, I know it is considered bad luck to leave them up beyond twelfth night, but what about doing it earlier than that?

I'm not prone to superstition, but could really do with all the luck in the world for the coming months, if not the year.

Many thanks!

sherish Wed 01-Jan-14 19:24:21

We'll be taking ours down over the weekend. It doesn't seem festive by then I don't think.

Agus Wed 01-Jan-14 19:24:30

Mine came down yesterday. I'm not superstitious and Christmas has no connection to the start of a new year for me.

Marelli Wed 01-Jan-14 19:27:35

Mine are still up, phoenix. I AM superstitious and believe that they shouldn't come down till the 6th January. The thing is, the blu-tak is drying on the back of the cards which are stuck on the doors....now and again there's the sound of a flutter/plop as another one bites the dust! tchgrin

Pittcity Wed 01-Jan-14 19:28:48

Tomorrow or Friday. My son will be here to help and the weather looks set at lousy. Decs down and spring cleaning commencing wink

rosesarered Wed 01-Jan-14 19:28:58

Ah! this post refers to Christmas decorations! I did wonder.tchgrin
I always wait for 12th night, partly tradition and partly because I'm lazy and it's a real faff [as opposed to fun, when you put them up]

Sook Wed 01-Jan-14 19:29:52

I took mine down today, it's over as far as I am concerned. In my living room and lounge windows I now have vases of Daffodils. Harbingers of Spring I love them.

phoenix I wish you all the luck in the world for the coming year you certainly deserve it. I love your sparky humour and enjoy your posts. x

Lilygran Wed 01-Jan-14 19:34:51

Not superstition, tradition. January 6th is the last day of Christmas.

Ana Wed 01-Jan-14 19:45:56

I still think it should be the 4th January - but we had this discussion last year and I lost the argument! grin

mollie Wed 01-Jan-14 19:48:25

Ours will be down by Friday. Is leave it as late as possible to put them up then get them down as so as possible. This year they've been up for two weeks and that's long enough for me!

granjura Wed 01-Jan-14 19:49:22

Well, that is a very personal question- I refuse to answer smile

Anne58 Wed 01-Jan-14 19:51:26

Thank you Sook

Granjura tchshock tchblush

Lona Wed 01-Jan-14 19:58:00

Mine came down yesterday, so that I was ready to face the new year.

Penstemmon Wed 01-Jan-14 19:59:03

Tomorrow probably as DH birthday coming up and I like to take decs down before then!

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Jan-14 20:04:17

I am tempted to take mine down but CBA. I am likely to be occupied for at least another three days on the 2nd Jigsaw puzzle of the season. I include this pleasure in my post Christmas celebrations. It is 1000 pieces a really tricky puzzle of an actual painting. I don't do steam trains or kittens.

I find it very relaxing but you cannot sit at them for hours at a time without going boggled eyed.

I think if I take the decorations down Christmas will seem to be over, so I will feel more guilty for spending time on the puzzle. Therefore I had better leave them up so Christmas won't be over and I won't feel so guilty.

Yippee a no guilt solution. grin

bikergran Wed 01-Jan-14 20:11:08

took mine down Sunday smile

AlieOxon Wed 01-Jan-14 20:46:32

I didn't put any up, except one string of lights for opening presents on Christmas Day...didn't seem worth it this year, but normally if people were coming here I'd keep them up to the 5th......

Deedaa Wed 01-Jan-14 21:40:48

Sometimes I hang it out till the 6th but if there's a handy weekend before then I'll probably do it over the weekend.

ninathenana Wed 01-Jan-14 23:19:37

Have always taken ours down on 2nd January.

LizG Wed 01-Jan-14 23:32:34

Not superstitious but fingers crossed and touch wood they should be down at the weekend.

numberplease Wed 01-Jan-14 23:47:55

Ours will stay up till the 6th, then I will hate how dull the room looks without them!

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Jan-14 00:10:18

On the 6th. I love Christmas, so always feel sad that they have to be packed away for another year - it all looks so bare and cheerless. Perhaps I should just surrender to total eccentricity and leave it all up a la Miss Haversham.

petallus Thu 02-Jan-14 08:05:47

My tree now lies on it's side in the garden awaiting the boy scouts who will come and cart if off for £3.

Cards and a small glittery tree decoration will stay up until the 6th so I can feel I am following tradition.

shysal Thu 02-Jan-14 08:25:08

Mine came down the minute my family left after a big lunch last Sunday. I was also pleased when they stopped playing seasonal music on the radio and in shops.

Does anyone else find that, after packing it all away, they always find one item that was forgotten? This year it was the old decoration which I had relegated to the shed door!

Marelli Thu 02-Jan-14 08:45:29

shysal, I usually find something I've forgotten round about the next December, when I'm putting up the new cards - bits of the dreaded blu-tack still stuck on the doors blush. How I can miss it - the doors are painted white......?? Oh well......I'm not going to change now - never was very careful cleaning-wise!