Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I've got this 'ere dish.....

(48 Posts)
Anne58 Sat 18-Jan-14 16:27:33

Now, it's supposed to be for browning stuff in the microwave. I was trying think how I might describe it, according to Mr P, it's ceramic with black bobbles on the bottom confused and a glass lid. (Even I had worked that bit out!)

Question is, would it be safe to use in an ordinary oven?

(I have never actually used it for anything, I sort of inherited it along with a cat and a lot of other kitchen stuff)

Bez Mon 27-Jan-14 16:22:06

Just googled Armco flam anno and it is still made but marketed under the name Pyroflam in Europe.

annodomini Mon 27-Jan-14 15:59:28

I have a wonderful French pan - Arcoflam - which is equally useful on the hob, in the oven and in the microwave. It has a clip-on handle for use on the hob and a clear glass lid. I would like to find a smaller one but they seem to have become extinct.

jcdoh Mon 27-Jan-14 15:11:37

touché regards the `mr' he still wants wife --but as a mother, who performs ALL his needs !
regards all these bobbles and dishes -- not sure what these are ? but I know for sure , even if one buys dish the perfect size with lid -- one or the other does not last a year --mine is the home off chipped, cracked, or half missing ! all previously loved items !

AlieOxon Sun 19-Jan-14 12:07:26

I will keep my eyes open for those in the charity shops....

harrigran Sun 19-Jan-14 11:49:24

Those Pyrosil casserole dishes are brilliant, they clean much easier than the clear Pyrex and you can put them on the hob. Mine came with detachable handles. I think the blurb says freezer/oven/hob and they came with plastic lids for use in fridge or freezer. If you have a set hang on to them because they are difficult to get now, I think they last too long for the manufacturers liking.

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 11:30:58

Agree there jingl, my wrists would never manage a large Le Crueset one if it was full!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Jan-14 09:50:32

At least the ceramic ones aren't so flippin' heavy as the cast iron ones!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Jan-14 09:49:16

Yes. I've got some little ones of those. Bought at The Maltings while on hol in Suffolk. Lovely red. Look very pretty on kitchen windowsill! grin (don't know what I'd use 'em for hmm grin)

AlieOxon Sun 19-Jan-14 09:45:08

I've got these 'ere bowls too. Three, in different sizes. Made by Corning, and definitely posher and more expensive....but I don't buy 'em new. I just collect them 'cos I like them!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Jan-14 09:28:41

I wonder who now has my browning dish. Flat, square. Lid with bobble type handle on top.

Anyone? Oxfam charity shop.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Jan-14 09:27:11

Yes, I know it's different. But, sort of, the same. Posher really. And more colourful. grin

AlieOxon Sun 19-Jan-14 09:21:00

Not really the same....a relatively recent development, in between pottery and glass.
I have an amazing loaf tin which is ceramic glass, a charity shop find, and it's American! Makes very good cakes.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Jan-14 09:03:04

Oh, it's ceramic. Same thing really.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Jan-14 09:00:38

If it's made of "Pyrex" type of glass, it would be fine in the oven. I Oxfammed mine. Never did the browning thing very successfully, and I rarely bother with long-winded oven casseroles.

NfkDumpling Sun 19-Jan-14 08:14:05

Dare I suggest you may have an overstock situation in the dish department? We have an overstock of casseroles as DH searches for that elusive perfect pot. It was flan dishes - got quite a few of those. And before that cutlery - which I'm only allowed to dispose of when it goes rusty.

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 00:41:07

Daft really, I'm often struck with philpotts syndrome and had never considered this particular dish before, usually go through all the other dishes t try to find the right size, then when I find one invariably doesn't have a lid, don't know why this one was off the radar in that respect!

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 00:35:53

Spicy lemon chicken to start with *newist, then may move on to pork in cream and mustard sauce with caramelised onions.

harrigran Sat 18-Jan-14 23:32:23

Yes, I have had one for years and hardly ever used it in the microwave but it is great in the ordinary oven.

newist Sat 18-Jan-14 18:30:37

Now that we have established that phoenix has an ovenproof dish with too many bobbles to count, ( I hope my to and too are correct) What will you cook in it.

Anne58 Sat 18-Jan-14 18:22:03

Sorry, Nonu blush got a bit carried away there!

newist Sat 18-Jan-14 18:11:29

Yes Nono even butter will not melt in my mouth

newist Sat 18-Jan-14 18:09:05

I demand a recount grin

Nonu Sat 18-Jan-14 18:07:20

Pho so you are jumping in trying to outdo Newist
Shame on you , she is a little innocent !
grin

Nonu Sat 18-Jan-14 18:04:54

Don"t you be playing the innocent with us Newist , we have got your number .
grin

Anne58 Sat 18-Jan-14 18:04:13

I have so many bobbles that I can't count them!