Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I am a new step grandmother

(11 Posts)
Deedaa Tue 21-Jan-14 21:26:26

I definitely think you should spend as much time with them as you can Lainey01 just to see what the routine is and how things are done. I don't think that not having your own baby is too much of a handicap, when I took over my grandson it was nearly 30 years since I had had one and things had changed so much I had to relearn almost everything. Different nappies, different bottles, different ways of mixing formula, different ideas about weaning, complicated push chairs and car seats instead of throwing them on the back seat in a carry cot!
Mine was enormous fun and I'm sure your's will be too!

glassortwo Tue 21-Jan-14 21:23:31

Lainey congratulations on becoming a Grandma, its a constant learning curve and you will think well I have mastered that and they move to the next stage and on it goes, best way is to enjoy it all and dont worry about it. Welcome to Gn smile

Mishap Tue 21-Jan-14 18:51:13

As every baby is different, each parent (or temporary substitute) has to find their own way - so do not feel at a disadvantage. Your step-daughter obviously respects and trusts you and that is brilliant - well done you!

Enjoy!

tanith Tue 21-Jan-14 17:17:49

Lainey you'll find the time flies by when you are looking after the baby, I'm sure you'll pick it up easily and with your husbands help you'll do fine.

I have 8 grandchildren now, the oldest being 27 and the baby just 8mths so I've had years of practice now and am looking forward to my first great grandchild sometimes soon.

don't forget to have fun too and enjoy your time with your 'surprise' grandchild. do keep us posted with pics if you learn how .

Lainey01 Tue 21-Jan-14 16:14:04

Thank you janthea and phoenix.

Kind of you both to reply. I keep being told that the baby bit is the easiest as you rightly say phoenix, it is usually a case of food , nappy or nap! I shall be so pleased with myself when I have worked out what it is he wants !!LOL
I never dreamt that I would be a grandma.

How do you manage janthea with all your wonderful grandchildren?

What an exciting summer awaits me. I shall keep you posted on how it goes.

janthea Tue 21-Jan-14 15:02:52

Congratulations!! Exciting, isn't it. I have a new grandson who was born at the end of November. He's adorable. I also have one grandaughter (4) and four other grandsons (6, 4 and 2). They do keep you busy.

Anne58 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:58:43

There was an American comedienne (perhaps Phyllis Diller, but I'm not sure) who said:

"Looking after baby?
here's how to have a try
keep one end fed, and the other end dry"

Lainey01 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:51:14

Thanks tanith.

Yes I am so very happy that Hollie and her partner have asked me to help and I will get to see all those precious moments.

Yes I will be able to spend time with them all. I see them at least once a week now so I know that they will show me the basics and the rest will come with practice. My husband (Hollie's dad) will be a brilliant granddad and when the two of us are with him I feel very safe. I think I am worrying about it too much. It's just that he is so precious.

I really appreciate your reply.

How many grandchildren do you have?

grannyactivist Tue 21-Jan-14 14:39:06

I think tanith's advice is spot on. Visit often and take more and more of a hands on approach under mum's watchful eye so that you're fully immersed in the routine by the time you're really needed. And congratulations on becoming a granny and welcome to Gransnet. smile

tanith Tue 21-Jan-14 14:29:51

Congratulations Lainey how fabulous and scary at the same time, they'll be a font of information and advice from our grans..
Can you spend some time with them so you can see how things are done before you have to take charge? How lovely that your step daughter has shown such faith in you to ask you to look after her precious child.

Lainey01 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:23:10

Hi everyone,
I have a 3 month old fabulous grandson!!! I have never had children myself and my step daughter has asked me to help with childcare when she goes back to work. How marvellous...then I think of all the things I don't know. I have only changed a nappy twice. Where can i get help with first aid for babies and just general advice on looking after a small child.

I am so excited yet scared at the same time.

Lainey