Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do dog rocks work?

(35 Posts)
Dragonfly1 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:15:59

Didn't know whether to put this thread in pets or garden so keeping it general. Have any dog-owning granspals ever tried dog rocks to stop their dogs' urine scalding the lawn? Are they safe/effective? Or does anyone have any other tips - other than keeping the mutt off the lawn?

Agus Wed 12-Mar-14 09:19:50

Don't worry about it Aka, I'm not grin

yogagran Wed 12-Mar-14 11:45:47

My mother's dog used to remove the dog rocks from her water bowl, like bobbing for apples, and leave them on the floor next to the bowl!

LucySamuals Wed 12-Mar-14 14:56:20

I've used Dog Rocks now for about 2 years, and I think they are amazing! My two jack russells don't ruin my lawn any more, and I have beautiful green grass, perfect for when the grandson comes over to play!

LucySamuals Wed 12-Mar-14 14:59:45

Yogagran, why don't you try putting the rocks into a jug and pouring the water from there? I'm sure it will work just the same? My daughter went to crufts the other day and found out all about them for me, basically they absorb the nitrates from the water and stop them going onto the grass and burning those horrible wee patches that we hate!

yogagran Wed 12-Mar-14 19:58:12

Thanks for that Lucy but that dog has long since gone, always amused us though !

NfkDumpling Wed 12-Mar-14 20:06:02

I bought one (£10) at DD1's request for her dog who is ruining their small lawn. DSiL removed it as he was concerned it was damaging dog's kidneys. I felt it was more likely dog was producing to much ammonia and removing it from his drinking water would help. I will suggest the tomato ketchup remedy.

HollyDaze Sat 15-Mar-14 10:06:56

FWIW, I had to use Dog Rocks as I had more brown patches on the lawn than green! I have to male Spaniels. I left the rocks sitting in the water but tipped the water into their drinking bowl (as younger dog kept taking them out of the water bowl). Oddly enough, this past two years, the brown patches have stopped - so have the dog rocks unless the problem returns.

Interesting about the ketchup, I shall try that if the problem comes back.

Dragonfly1 Sat 15-Mar-14 10:38:15

Thanks, I might give them a go then. The choice I have is either letting the mutt wee on the patio, which is making it smell, despite copious amounts of disinfecting and spraying, or letting her wreck the lawn. I've already had it relaid once and fenced to keep her off it, but I can't bear the pongy patio, and there's no way I can take her for a walk every time she needs a wee!

HollyDaze Sat 15-Mar-14 10:42:58

I hope it works for you, I know a couple of people that it didn't help them at all so I suppose it depends on what's in the dog's urine maybe. I can only say it cured the problem here and for a couple of other friends too.

I used to have another couple of dogs who peed on the drive and no amount of Jeyes fluid sloshed on the drive ever completely got rid of the smell (noticeable in the summer). Now I'm wondering why the same problem doesn't happen with the garden!