Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Chaotic FaceTime sessions !

(29 Posts)
harrigran Sun 23-Mar-14 12:29:00

When GDs are with me I will put Skype on so they can talk to their Aunt but they usually just say HI, wave and wander off. The eldest GD can sit for an hour playing a computer game but can't hold a real time conversation on the same computer.
I understand it is difficult to get to talk to DD, I have only spoken to mine once in the three months since she was in the UK.

Gally Sun 23-Mar-14 11:35:00

I find Facetime/Skype is never what you expect it to be! I have it the other way round - lots of chat with DD but very little with the gc who shout and scream, make faces, stick out their tongues and become extremely over-excited and decide that now is the moment to want something from their Mum confused. Nina's suggestion is a good one and I am sure your DD will want to have a long chat with you in more peaceful surroundings.. 7 is still quite young to sit still in front of a screen for any length of time and hold a conversation with Granny - my 7 year old is usually baring his backside at the screen or making stupid faces shock. Good luck.

ninathenana Sun 23-Mar-14 11:24:44

Oh dear, I can understand your frustration. DGS regularly reads to other grand parents in Germany via facetime. DD sets him up with the book prior to making the connection. Could you ask DD to make sure your DGD has everything to hand that she wants to show nannie. You say you've asked DD to call after bedtime which is a good idea. If it's not happening maybe ask when it would be convenient to call her. Explain that it's lovely to talk to DGD but you'd love a chat with her too.

Cretin Sun 23-Mar-14 11:13:15

I have lived in greece for eleven years , and use FaceTime as a means of communication, I look forwards to receiving theses calls very much , they are few and far between sadly to say ....but after they have called off feel very sad frustrated , the calls consist of eldest daughter saying hello how are you at which time granddaughter aged seven puts her face into the screen shouting nanny nanny ! It's absolutely wonderful to receive such a welcome but daughter then passes over the iPad to granddaughter and that's it really ... I then speak to granddaughter who goes wandering off for minutes at an end to collect a book or something she has done at school .. And I end up staring at the ceiling whilst she goes .... It's all very lovely but .... I don't get to speak to my daughter ... It's all very chaotic ... I have tried going through the process of reading to her and her to me but she doesn't sit still at all ! Would love some one to one time Ihave suggested this that she call me when little one in bed but this hasn't happened ... I am overin England at least four times a year so we all look forwards to time together but I really feel so frustrated after the calls .... Anyone got suggestions ??