Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Happy to be Religious

(59 Posts)
TAB12 Sat 29-Mar-14 19:02:58

In my life I have found that people shy away and are a little afraid to state that they believe in GOD, almost as if it were a bad thing.

I would just like to say that I do believe in GOD and very much believe in the power of prayer.

My life has been enriched by my beliefs and am very happy to be a Religious personsmile

mollie Sun 30-Mar-14 17:51:43

Have to admit, I was with Ariadne in thinking 'heck...' because I have seen some really scathing comments aimed at those daring to give a religious point of view here. It seemed unfair but I'm glad to see this thread has continued in a peaceable way...

Ariadne Sun 30-Mar-14 17:55:09

So far....

Mishap Sun 30-Mar-14 17:57:07

I am a true "don't know" and that is fine by me - there are no answers; we can only try to live our lives in an honest and kind way, whether we believe in a higher power or not.

But, for me, whilst respecting others' beliefs, it is impossible to avoid some of those aspects of organised religion that I find problematical.

I sometimes play in church, when they can't get anyone else, and am happy to do that. I was there this morning for Mothering Sunday and was very glad that none of my GC were there, as the lesson was about Pharoahs trying to kill male children - why do we burden children with this? - what can they be thinking of in a service that was bound to be full of children? I support my local school as a governor, and go to most of the events and celebrations there - but never easter - how can we impose the grim story of the crucifixion on their innocent minds?

I realise that these might be seen as somewhat quirky views, but they are heartfelt. I would rather the children learned about kindness, honesty, respect, tolerance. It is all so unnecessary.

mollie Sun 30-Mar-14 17:58:26

There's not a lot for anyone to bite on really ... is there? smile

annodomini Sun 30-Mar-14 18:19:22

Mishap, what an odd subject for a Mothering Sunday sermon!

thatbags Sun 30-Mar-14 18:27:23

I respect everyone's right to believe what they choose. I do not respect all beliefs. I abhor some beliefs – the belief that it's OK to stone people to death, for instance, which some cultures still not only believe but put into practise.

Some beliefs are not worthy of respect, surely?

That is not an attack on anyone's right to religious faith. I do wish people wouldn't confuse these separate ideas.

Mishap Sun 30-Mar-14 18:27:36

Odd indeed!

Deedaa Sun 30-Mar-14 21:04:50

Even as quite a small child at Sunday School it did cross my mind that while Jesus was alive the christians had no church hierarchy, it was all imposed later and I imagine the same must be true of all religions. As soon as the structure of the church becomes too important the basic ideas start to get distorted.

Penstemmon Sun 30-Mar-14 21:30:27

I do not respect anyone of faith who believes they can 'legitimately' kill anyone else in the name of religion. Fundamental Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists have all justified killing others in the name of their faith.
Individual believers vs establishment religion are often 2 different things.
My brother is very religious person. He knows I am a humanist. We get on very well.

I love the idea of belonging to a church.. I went regularly as a child up until I was about 18. I like the community it provides, I like a lot of hymns and I even agree with most of the teaching of Jesus. I just cannot make the leap of faith and believe in a deity!

grannyactivist Sun 30-Mar-14 22:02:31

TAB12. I've been a follower of Jesus since I was nineteen and read the New Testament for the first time. It took me two years to gather the courage to visit a Christian church (my father was a very vocal atheist when I was growing up so church attendance wasn't on the agenda) and when I did finally get to a church I found myself greatly disappointed by the differences between what I experienced on a Sunday and what I'd read in my bible. I persevered however and eventually (two years later in a different church) came across some wonderful people who were 'walking the talk'. After many years in positions of church leadership in a number of different 'flavours' of church I have now come full circle and no longer 'go to church'. Instead I meet regularly with a group of like-minded people to 'do' church as a lifestyle. People locally describe us as a 'house church', but really even that is to exaggerate how we see ourselves. (Labels do have their uses, but can be limiting.) We're family, reaching out to other people as best we can in a meagre attempt to reflect the teachings of Jesus.
I have no problem with speaking out about my faith when and where it's appropriate and have often been asked to speak in local schools, etc., but I can't see as much point in talking about it as 'doing' my faith.

annodomini Sun 30-Mar-14 22:25:41

GA your group sounds very much like the early church as portrayed in - I think - the Acts of the Apostles.

Joan Mon 31-Mar-14 03:34:57

I'm very much like Penstemmon in my attitude to religion these days (three posts back).

I've investigated a few, and finally ended up a Catholic, though I'm not a believer in a deity any more - I stopped going to mass years ago. After much reflection I an now an atheist.

However, I was very proud of the local Catholics in the 1980s when the AIDS epidemic was in full swing. The JWs and other fundamentalists were crowing about the wrath of God being wrought upon the victims, while Catholic organisations quietly went about looking after the sufferers in a non-judgmental way.

As for being open about ones religious beliefs - I don't suppose I would hide either my beliefs or non-beliefs, but I wouldn't push it either.

Finally I do believe that slogan 'You don't need God to be good' is true, and my own observation is that the atheists I know all have a good moral compass.

feetlebaum Mon 31-Mar-14 09:21:00

Most atheist people have put a lot more thought into it than many believers - and they are often more knowledgeable about the 'holy book' of whatever religion the believers espouse.

'Faith' is not, as far as I can see, a virtue - it's an admission that the practitioner is content not to investigate, to consider the search for truth - in plain slang, a 'cop-out'. As for the 'teachings of Jesus' so often mentioned - how does anybody know what they were (if they existed at all)? All that exists is for the most part 17th Century hearsay. And that is an awfully long time for distortion to work - it was only a matter of a year or two before mythology arose about the death or otherwise of Elvis Presley - imagine what could happen in 1,700 years! I'm of the opinion that the 'gentle, meek and mild' image is an invention of Victorian sentimentality.

Joan Mon 31-Mar-14 10:05:11

Some people are not at all sure that Jesus existed at all. I wouldn't go so far, but meek and mild? I agree that is unlikely. A meek and mild person does not overturn market stalls in a fit of righteous fury, for instance.

Lilygran Mon 31-Mar-14 10:26:24

The posters on this thread who say they are believers have all restricted themselves to describing their own beliefs and experience. None of them has suggested that non-believers are wanting in understanding or particularly gullible. hmm

Elegran Mon 31-Mar-14 10:59:57

You are right, lilygran This thread is not about whether or not any other poster thinks they are right /wrong/gullible/deluded. It is about those who are happy to be religious.

There are plenty of threads on which to post opinions on religion.

DebnCreme Mon 31-Mar-14 11:35:06

smile

mollie Mon 31-Mar-14 11:45:40

Well noted, Lilygran. I hope it continues that way...

Stansgran Mon 31-Mar-14 12:17:27

With me it's tribal. I think the Commandments are a good set of rules and I like the comfort of the services for Hatching ,Matching and Dispatching. I think the King James's Bible has some good reads in it.

Aka Mon 31-Mar-14 12:23:03

My only problem with religions is when they divide people in a violent way.

Nonnie Mon 31-Mar-14 13:25:47

Just come onto GN for the first time in a couple of days and am so pleased about this thread. It is so different from any previous ones about religion that I have seen. Well done TAB12, no idea how you managed it but you have brought out the tolerant and kind brigade rather than the previous ones who thought all believers were stupid.

None of it is about argument or pros and cons, it is simply about faith. You have it or you don't or maybe some are don't knows.

thatbags Mon 31-Mar-14 17:04:05

Here is a quote I just saw on twitter: @drusamahasan: @Ozzy8491 "There are as many paths to God as there are human souls" - a traditional saying that even Imam Ibn Taymiyyah partly endorsed.

I like that.

Greenfinch Mon 31-Mar-14 17:49:20

So do I.

POGS Mon 31-Mar-14 20:42:11

I have always been at odds with myself over my thoughts and beliefs. Just saying that I suppose should tell me a lot but it doesn't confused

I think it must be so nice to have a belief, christian or not. It's not something I envy but I can see how rewarding it must be.

I do know this, when in times of sadness or despair I have prayed, does that tell me something?

As Dave Allen said, "May your God go with you". smile

Nonu Mon 31-Mar-14 20:55:17

Pogs
I used to love the Dave Allen show , I loved it when he would sign off with May your God go with you.
Hanging in my kitchen is a plaque which says -:
An Irish blessing
May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
and may God
hold you in the hollow of his hand .
I love that , some may not, But I do !!
smile