Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Happy to be Religious

(58 Posts)
TAB12 Sat 29-Mar-14 19:02:58

In my life I have found that people shy away and are a little afraid to state that they believe in GOD, almost as if it were a bad thing.

I would just like to say that I do believe in GOD and very much believe in the power of prayer.

My life has been enriched by my beliefs and am very happy to be a Religious personsmile

absent Sat 29-Mar-14 19:05:28

I don't but at least one of my closest friends quite often has conversations with me about his personal relationship with God. I have also appreciated the kindness of believers who have said prayers for me or members of my family in times of trouble.

susieb755 Sat 29-Mar-14 19:20:40

Me too TAB12, I was baptised when I was 31 and my husband when he was 33.

ginny Sat 29-Mar-14 19:26:08

Certainly don't share your beliefs but I'm very happy for you.

DebnCreme Sat 29-Mar-14 19:27:08

Me too TAB12 and I believe in the Power of Prayer.

Charleygirl Sat 29-Mar-14 19:27:22

Agree totally with ginny.

janerowena Sat 29-Mar-14 19:42:53

I have some very religious family and friends, but I am not. I am very happy that you and they are happy - as long as no-one tries to convert me!

Charleygirl Sat 29-Mar-14 19:49:12

I had religion rammed down my neck all of my childhood and teenage years, being educated at a convent. It worked the opposite, I am a non believer and wish to stay that way.

I have a 97 year old who is very religious but that is about the only thing that she has not tried to change in my life. Her religious belief I think is keeping her alive.

Culag Sat 29-Mar-14 19:54:24

I echo what JaneRowena has said.

I think the power of prayer is akin to the placebo effect in medicine. If it works for you, that's great.

mollie Sat 29-Mar-14 19:57:22

I'm very pleased for you TAB12. Having a faith must be a great comfort on a daily basis. I don't have such a belief myself but in recent times I've come to realise my problems are more to do with the church and it's organisation rather than faith itself.

annodomini Sat 29-Mar-14 20:40:25

I am not. a believer myself but was brought up in the Church of Scotland for which I still have affection. Some religion does great harm but some can be a force for good. I am a Humanist but not what you'd you'd call anti-religious.

Silverfish Sat 29-Mar-14 20:48:16

I have explored all kinds of religion, including wicca, druidism, buddism but I keep on feeling that there is something there, I still think there is a Christian God, maybe it is the way I was brought up but I still think Im a Christian. When I saw my grandchild being born I felt that there was a God, cant describe it but it was an experience beyond my wildest imagining. I pray each night to a Christian God.

Deedaa Sat 29-Mar-14 21:22:58

You are quite right about the way we shy away from religion TAB12 I am in contact with a lot of Americans on Facebook and I'm always surprised by the way that they seem to bring God into everything and are always offering to pray for people. I can't imagine any of my English friends being so open about it. My own religion, such as it is, is kept strictly between me and whoever the Greater Power is.

grannyactivist Sun 30-Mar-14 00:17:01

Hello TAB12. smile
I'm wondering if anything particular prompted this thread? I'm part way through a course on Islam and so 'religion' is very much on my mind at the moment.

Ariadne Sun 30-Mar-14 07:38:09

I thought "Oh no, wait for the fireworks" when I saw this thread, because, in the past on GN, there have been some very acrimonious debates centred round religion and faith. How very pleasant not to see that.

Nelliemoser Sun 30-Mar-14 08:05:29

I am not an adherent of any religion, probably not a believer in any supreme being but I do have a respect for anyone who does believe.

l detest Richard Dawkin's style of aggressive Atheism. That just shows great intolerance.

However there is something about "mindfulness", "meditation" or "prayer" that seems to offer psychological benefit, to its practitioners.

NanKate Sun 30-Mar-14 08:13:57

I don't go to church but I do believe in a higher power.

ginny Sun 30-Mar-14 09:02:44

Ariadne You see most of us here are nice, tolerant people. happy to let people believe whatever what ever makes them happy. After all none of us have any proof either way. grin

whenim64 Sun 30-Mar-14 09:23:44

I'm not a believer, though I was brought up to go to church. I have read a lot of Richard Dawkins' books and agree with much of what he says, but am happy to debate in a friendly way, even the issue of bishops sitting in the House of Lords. I'm off when anyone tries to push their views down my throat. I live just a few hundred yards away from a large Church of Latter Day Saints, and they send out visiting young people to spread the word - my lane seems to be their favourite for knocking on doors, which does test my patience.

KatyK Sun 30-Mar-14 11:37:56

I was born into a Catholic family. I was taught by nuns who, for the most part, were cruel. Some (not all) of the Catholic priests/brothers at the church we attended were bullies. I was a good Catholic girl until I began to think for myself. I no longer believe.

TAB12 Sun 30-Mar-14 12:49:42

Thank you for all your comments, they were all very interesting.

I totally agree with ..mollie.. when she explains that the problem can lie with the organisation rather than the faith itself.

To answer grannyactivist's question, the reason I wanted to start the thread is that I was speaking to a religious person openly about my religious beliefs, she told me that I was brave to state my beliefs, and I felt it was sad that a fear to speak openly about ones religious beliefs, existed.

It was so interesting reading your comments and was so glad that there were no negative ones Thank you smile

mollie Sun 30-Mar-14 15:05:28

Tab21 - historically, 'the church' (whichever one you want to pick) has been all about greed and power and abuse and the effects of which that seemed to me to overshadow the very good work that it has done for the community generally. And as KatyK said, the nuns and priests of the 20th century had a particular reputation (not all of course) for being truly sadistic and spiteful. To me that behaviour seemed to go against anything written in the testaments and turned me against organised religion. Until a) I discovered The Quakers and b) the new ArchBishop (Justin Welby) and the new Pope were appointed. Now I have some hope that both churches will turn into the sort of organisations that I always thought they should be. I haven't quite found it in me to say I have a faith but at least I'm more sympathetic towards the organisations.

On a personal level, (and I'm not asking for anyone to reply here as I don't want to ruin a gentle, friendly thread) I'm always curious to understand how people know there is a greater being/God/whatever and what difference a faith makes to their every day lives. Of course, I really hope that faith goes beyond the creationist argument because that's where it all falls down for me.

MiceElf Sun 30-Mar-14 15:14:38

I don't think that any of us with a religious belief 'know' that there is greater being / God. Anymore than those who do not have a religious belief 'know' that there is no God - whatever concept the word God is in the speaker's mind.

For many Christians it's just a matter of trying to live our lives as best we can, and often alas sadly failing, in accordance with the values of the gospels.

feetlebaum Sun 30-Mar-14 15:27:54

It's a question of probability - the likelihood of there being any superhuman entity is vanishingly small. There's certainly nothing in the way of evidence to support the idea.

As Wallace Greenslade used to say, in The Goon Show, "It's all in the mind, you know..."

Damn - I promised myself I'd stay out of this thread!

Ariadne Sun 30-Mar-14 16:51:28

ginny of course we are - never a cross word! (We also have short memories, don't we?)