Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Going to France by car

(66 Posts)
geeljay Sat 12-Apr-14 16:42:43

I think this may be covered in these files, but cant find the thread. So, 3 of us travelling Roscoff to the Vendee in May. We have the maps, but wonder if a GPS would be beneficial to make the route easier to travel. Staying Vendee for 10 days, then up to Brittany for 5, before returning to Roscoff and home. Total adventure, we all exceed 75 years, and have not been to France for about 20 years. We previously toured with caravan, but this time we stay in statics (via Eurocamp). I have been looking at a Tomtom, but not quite sure. Any thoughts would be welcomed. What a nice site this seems to be. Regards

DebnCreme Wed 30-Apr-14 08:59:36

We use a Satnav in must places in Europe with great success BUT in France it is firmly switched off. Despite ticking the option boxes against Motorways somehow the directions always took us to the nearest Peage (apologies for spelling).

DebnCreme Wed 30-Apr-14 09:00:36

Forgot to say, enjoy your visit.

geeljay Wed 30-Apr-14 19:48:32

Hi, Do the French traders readily take Eurocheques in payment. Or is cash a must. I will take my credit/debit cards, but don't particularly want to take a lot oin cash? I think, somewhere, I saw a comment by someone who lives in France, who would probably know. Regards........

annodomini Wed 30-Apr-14 20:07:10

I haven't used eurocheques for many years. I didn't know they still existed. I have a pre-loaded card for both withdrawal of cash and payment in shops, hotels etc, which I top up before travelling and take a credit card with me as back-up but have only needed to use it twice. The best place to go for advice on this is Martyn Lewis's web site:
www.MoneySavingExpert.com

geeljay Wed 30-Apr-14 22:00:56

Thanks annodomini. Regards

Boots Thu 01-May-14 15:58:20

We used to go over to France a lot in our car and only used maps. Only problem was the French build new roads and changed the numbers very easily and quite often, so we had to make sure we had up to date maps. Husband did not get on with sat nav type things. Watch our for speed cameras. You do appear to be given warnings that you are coming to one. We never had any real problems using maps, although sometimes the French do put road names in strange places and also the place you are going to is changed to somewhere else, so you need to know other places on the route.

We sometimes used motorways - auto-routes - and never had any problems. Lots more service areas of one sort or another than on a UK motorway.

As you may know public conveniences are not always easy to find apart from on auto-routes, and at times, as the French do, we used bushes, lanes etc to do what we had to do. Usually lots of other people had found the same places already. On one occasion we were asked by a car full of gendarmes to move on from stopping on the side of the road, but no real trouble. I think they were just being difficult.

On another occasion we inadvertently went through a red light in a strange area, not aware of the go with caution light also at the junction. We were pulled over almost immediately by some municpal police, who also did not know the area. We were very polite and explained why we had crossed on the red light, and there was no problem. We asked if they knew what route we took to get to where we were going, and they didn't know either!

Love the Vendee. I am sure you will have a good time.

Bez Thu 01-May-14 16:53:11

We used to have a Eurocheque account with Nat West but I think they were stopped some years ago. Credit cards are accepted in most places including motorway tolls.

Mamie Thu 01-May-14 17:36:20

Definitely no more eurocheques. The easiest thing to do is just to withdraw money as you need it from cash machines, which are everywhere. Petrol stations take debit and credit cards as do shops and supermarkets.

geeljay Fri 30-May-14 00:39:42

Hi everyone. Well we had our lovely adventure. 18 days of sun and lovely weather, except one early morning thunderstorm that was so exciting. Crescendo of thunder, about 4am provided us with a spectacular couple of hours lightning which we got up to watch. The beaches along the Vendee were so sun blessed and beautiful to stroll along. An oasis of free car parking reminded us of what a huge country is France. Our new satnav took us effortlessly through Nantes, without a blip. The roads, right down to the Vendee, are so good and clearly signposted, that we could not have got lost if we had tried. And the new (to us) ferry was immaculate, with super cabins, and great quality food in the restaurants. Prices were very much cheaper per item paid in sterling, than euro. Superb rack of lamb £7.50. Worried so much about headlight deflectors and travel kit, etc., but never stopped by the gendarmes at any time. The accom at both Vendee and Brittany was excellent (Eurocamp chalets) Foodprices, even supermarkets, reminded us of how well off we are in Devon. Lovely hol, planning another later tis year. We loved every minute. Regards to you all.

Nonu Fri 30-May-14 03:00:06

So glad you are both back safe & sound Geel.

I am away myself with Himself in the good ole US of A

Having the best of times as always .

Here for another 3 weeks , yippee!!!

Mamie Fri 30-May-14 05:08:28

So glad it went well for you, it is such a beautiful country. There is a lovely programme on French telly at the moment about the most beautiful villages in France; every day we say that we really must go there... (resolves to lift head from vegetable garden and get out more)......

ffinnochio Fri 30-May-14 07:42:29

Nice to hear all went well gjay Yes, it is a lovely country.

Nonu Thought you might be 'over there' ! There's no doubt you'll be enjoying yourself immensely! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-May-14 09:35:06

That does sound a lovely holiday. Well done. Might copy that. smile

Nelliemoser Sat 31-May-14 08:39:06

Sat navs can be very useful but I would suggest that even if you have a sat nav never go anywhere you do not know well without a map.

On a cross country trip to Norfolk last weekend I had a sat nav, but I had forgotten to put my roadmap back into the car.

My sat nav gives me "fastest" "eco" and "shortest" and sometimes none of those options seem to make sense.

I found heading off without being able to see a map and to get idea of the general geography of where I was going, was to say the least alarming.

geeljay Wed 17-Sep-14 00:32:30

Just to conclude. We did buy a Tom-Tom or to be precise, our children purchased one as a present. We found it invaluable, taking us to exact locations each time we asked. We were never stopped by gendarmes at any time, nor given any hassle, just kind attentive courtesy and curiosity. Stayed Vendee for 10 days, and then to Brittany. We travelled within about 40 mile radius of each place we stayed, exploring. Most enjoyable, and planning to go again 2015. Maybe to an area where we can visit chateaux and history. Loved it. Thanks to all the useful pointers given on here. We were reminded of how lucky we are in UK on food costs and selection at supermarkets. We self catered and the selection of fresh food was superb. Love France.