Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandchildren overnight

(47 Posts)
Aka Thu 17-Apr-14 08:36:19

My two GSs have been staying overnight once a week since they were babies (about 6 months) and now at 4 & 7 years old their routine is so established they are no problem at all and never stir all night. This works better then being dropped off at my house at 7.15 am by parents with a long drive to work.
Conversely my two GDs (2 & 4) have only just this year started staying overnight about once a month and it's still a bit of a novelty and an excuse for high jinx and bed swapping! AND one of them sings and re-enacts her day in noisy dreams, so I'm constantly awake and listening.

What do other grans with overnighters think works best? tbuhmm

Nelliemoser Sat 10-May-14 21:52:41

Nankate me too with a hot water bottle. Most of the year.

NanKate Sat 10-May-14 21:08:55

Mishap I thought it was only me and hubby who have a hottie for about 10 months of the year. My 3 year old GS asked 'Nan why do you have a zebra down the bed?' .

Yes you got it - I have a rather snazzy hottie half price from John Lewis which is black and white stripes.grin

Aka Sat 10-May-14 17:02:51

On the rare occasion one sneaks into my bed Mishap even though they sleep like logs too, I cannot sleep either. Crazy!

Nonu Sat 10-May-14 17:00:44

Put your feet up girl!!

It is sooo wonderful to have them , but heck they can be tiring , I know!!

smile

Mishap Sat 10-May-14 16:39:26

They've all gone - kettle is on to make a hottie - and bed beckons! I am wrecked!

Mishap Sat 10-May-14 12:36:53

Two wee boys here last night - 2 year old in cot and 5 year old came into our bed to have a story and fell asleep - so he stayed there all night and slept like a log - unlike me! We now also have toddler GD here - I am sure it is keeping us young!

NanKate Fri 09-May-14 19:20:57

We have just had our 2 GSs 3 and 1 to stay for 7 days. We are worn out beyond words but have had so many laughs.

My DinL who came with them, had asked if she could come for hols as she was shattered by looking after them while our son was away on tour and she was unwell too.

They went home today revived.

Now to bedtime the 3 year old got out of bed a few times for the first couple of nights. My DinL went up and firmly put him back to bed without engaging in much conversation - he got the message and no trouble after that.

Finally - have you noticed how our DDs and DinLs often say they need some 'me time' I never got any Me time, but given half a chance I would have grabbed it. smile

nightowl Fri 09-May-14 17:43:47

Just taken DGS home after an overnight. He fell out of bed in the middle of the night blush - first time that's ever happened though he stays every week! No harm done apart from piercing screams that almost have me a heart attack. I'm exhausted now - thank goodness it's Friday!

Porridge for breakfast here Aka - no fancy stuff grin

Aren't we lucky grandparents to have these special times with our grandchildren? DGS said to me just before he left 'Nanny I love you'. If he only knew how much I love him too.

dorsetpennt Fri 09-May-14 16:59:11

My oldest granddaughter is now just five years old. Last year, during the summer half-term, she spent 3 days with her maternal grandparents who live about half an hour from me and three days with me. It was a huge success for both grandparents, she behaved beautifully and we had no bedtime problems at all. She has since been here during the winter term half term and is due this half term. I look forward to when her younger sister is old enough to come as well.
I spend a lot of time visiting her parents [DS and DIL] and on three occasions have looked after the children for up to three weeks. Whilst their father was abroad on business and their mother was at work I had total care so I am familiar with their routine. Which makes it easier when they stay with me.

Aka Fri 09-May-14 09:18:02

Thanks Nightowl it's a book I've never read myself but I think he'd enjoy that.

Just had 'the boys' overnight. Asked what they fancied for breakfast.

'Smoked salmon and croissants' was the reply. OK! Why not? hmm

nightowl Fri 09-May-14 09:03:20

Aka, this is a late response to your earlier post. When my older son was 7 I read The Hobbit to him in instalments. I skipped some very long passages and became adept at doing a précis here and there wink. He loved it and I enjoyed it more than the 'baby' books I had read over and over again.

gillybob Thu 08-May-14 23:01:37

My three stay with me and DH for one/two overnights every week depending on parents shift patterns. Much easier than early morning drop offs. They have been staying with us since they were only a few weeks old so its part of their normal every day life.

Due to economics and our small business we downsized a couple of years ago (also needed to be nearer as the school run was hectic) and the three monkeys share a bedroom at my house. We have a set of bunk beds and a trundle that pulls out from underneath. They constantly bed hop and very rarely get up in the morning from the bed they started off in! I now have a calendar on their bedroom wall with various stickers and notes reminding us/them who had which bed, who chose the story,who had the first bath and who had the (favorite) red beaker for bedtime milk ! It's chaotic but it works somehow! grin

mcem Thu 08-May-14 21:42:54

Had my 2 (3 and 5) last night. Lovely pre-bedtime walk, collecting beautiful (!) stones. Both went off to sleep well but little one appeared by my bed at 2am. No distress or problems, went straight back to sleep (as I did) and both then woke about 7. Lovely morning, then off to afternoon nursery. Important to stress that - with no heavy emphasis - my house, my rules. Agree that the best bit is seeing 2 beautiful children sound asleep ( and also, later, being told by a complete stranger what delightful little people they are!)

hespian Thu 08-May-14 21:19:56

It is just the best thing! I still hope that they will wake early so we can cuddle up and have stories in bed before going downstairs to make pancakes for breakfast - and they are now 5 and 9!!

jeanie99 Thu 08-May-14 21:16:09

My daughter and my grandson live some hours drive away so don't get to see him on a regular basis but hope to have him stay over at some time in the future.
He's only 6 months old but my daughter said once he's weaned he can come to stay which I am looking forward to.

Soutra Sat 19-Apr-14 11:05:03

How did it go gally? Or are you still asleep?tbugrin

Aka Sat 19-Apr-14 10:44:23

My oldest GS stopped asking for stories at bedtime too, at around the same age. Yes, I miss the 'snuggle up' aspect of it, but he'd rather look at picture books of dinosaurs, Dr. Who, birds, etc. and as his reading progressed he reads the information too rather than just looking at the pictures.

Now he's 7 I was thinking of perhaps reading a book to him in instalments as perhaps he won't see this as 'babyish'. Any suggestions on a suitable book?

annodomini Sat 19-Apr-14 10:21:26

Try not reading to him, but reading with him. Ask him about the books he brings home from school and let him show off his reading skills. Then you could introduce a story and let him recognise the words he knows. Make it a collaborative effort. My 8-year-old GS is well able to read any book but loves to share a story with granny or one of his parents. I'd go further than Nonnie: rather than choosing a book for him, I'd take him with me to choose one for himself.

Nonnie Sat 19-Apr-14 09:49:59

nina that is sad. Is there something he is really into at the moment, dinosaurs etc. that you could buy a book for and show him just before bedtime and say you will read it to him? I think I would try absolutely anything and once he has experienced it again he will probably like it. Best of luck.

ninathenana Fri 18-Apr-14 16:46:56

Nonnie sadly I don't think so, he's been saying it to DD for weeks now.

goldengirl Fri 18-Apr-14 16:41:08

Just think POGS they 're stoking up for the next day!!!!

POGS Fri 18-Apr-14 11:43:09

Sleepovers are a joy in our house.

I think the fact our GD has had sleepovers here, with her other granny and many friends of mum and dad has made DGD very grounded. She is good company and has a good sense of humour and enjoys being with people.

Sleepovers at Nan's consists of a Cinema night. That's a kid's film, coco at 8p.m, blue fairy lights on surrounding the tele, marvellous. Nan get's a total wind down time too. wink

Just a quick question, Is there anything more heart warming than looking at your GC snuggled up and cosy asleep?

susieb755 Thu 17-Apr-14 23:35:16

I have had DGD staying over since she was 6 months old, she is still in the travel cot though until DH moves his crap precious pieces of wood out of the room
we were a bit unprepared last visit and she ran in the room to put her stuff in there, looked horrified and demanded in a loud voice Wheres Scarletts Bed!!

I think she likes sleepovers....

Penstemmon Thu 17-Apr-14 21:58:47

I have had the DGC overnight since they were small. Not yet had all four together so Aka let us know how it goes!

The cousins live close so they also sleep at each other's homes!

petra Thu 17-Apr-14 21:35:41

We live very close to the DGC so I see them most days so it's home from home to them.
We are moving soon ( I hope) and the 4 yr old gets really upset when we talk about the move. She shouts, no, no, no. Unfortunately she can't articulate what she is feeling.
Her and I are very close and I think that in her little mind she has the feeling that I'm going away.
I keep telling her about her new room, and that I will have a garden, and a bike, to go out with her and her brother, but she's still confused.