Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandchildren overnight

(46 Posts)
Aka Thu 17-Apr-14 08:36:19

My two GSs have been staying overnight once a week since they were babies (about 6 months) and now at 4 & 7 years old their routine is so established they are no problem at all and never stir all night. This works better then being dropped off at my house at 7.15 am by parents with a long drive to work.
Conversely my two GDs (2 & 4) have only just this year started staying overnight about once a month and it's still a bit of a novelty and an excuse for high jinx and bed swapping! AND one of them sings and re-enacts her day in noisy dreams, so I'm constantly awake and listening.

What do other grans with overnighters think works best? tbuhmm

Nelliemoser Thu 17-Apr-14 09:17:30

\I think it is a very good idea to get them used to sleeping elsewhere. I live too far away from DGS to make this practical at present, he is nearly 19months. I suspect he might still be getting the odd feed from his mum. He was very happy for me to bath and put him to bed in his house when I baby sat a couple of weeks ago.

Mishap Thu 17-Apr-14 09:21:27

Sometimes my GS stays overnight - now 5. He is a sensitive little flower and needs reassurance at bedtime. They are all different, but need sensitive response to their different needs. I never stayed over with my grandparents (or indeed anyone else) till I was in my teens - I think people do things differently now as so many parents both work and help is needed.

Gally Thu 17-Apr-14 09:47:08

DD and family are staying this week. She and SiL are going away tonight and I am dreading it. 2 active boys of 2 and 3 one of whom is a very mummy's boy. I went to bed early last night in order to prepare myself tbuwink. I rarely see any of the gc's apart from in their own homes and have done a bit of babysitting there, but to have them on my own for 20 hours is a daunting prospect. I foresee a sleepless night........... Perhaps practice makes perfect?

Nonnie Thu 17-Apr-14 09:48:52

It is good for children to have as many new (good) experiences as they can so that when they start school and other activities it is not intimidating. I think the 'velcro mums' sometimes do it to cling to their children but the best thing we can do is teach our children to be independent so that they can be more confident in life. I know parents who seem to cling on to their older children too but for their own sake. Far too controlling IMO.

Aka I can understand that excitement with the new and am sure it will wear off, they are obviously very happy with you! flowers

Aka Thu 17-Apr-14 09:49:26

I've made a big boo boo tbushock

Both my 'children' asked me to have the GC overnight as they were going to a concert. I wasn't particularly listening but just agreed. I've only noticed when I went to write it on the calendar and realised both families are going to the concert together and that will mean all four GC staying over on the same night tbuhmm

Nonnie Thu 17-Apr-14 09:50:18

Gally stop worrying, they will be fine and you will survive! Your instincts will kick in and you will enjoy it.

Aka Thu 17-Apr-14 09:52:39

Good luck Gally

Gally Thu 17-Apr-14 09:56:58

....and good luck Aka - rather you than me tbuwink

Aka Thu 17-Apr-14 10:02:59

I'll look on the bright side....it will make having just two overnight seem like a doddle!

Isn't there something just adorable about little children just woken up, all warm and crumpled PJs, crawling into bed with you for an early morning cuddle though? tbusmile

ninathenana Thu 17-Apr-14 11:53:57

I had to have DGS to stay for days at a time at 2.5-3 yrs as DD had several hospital admissions with her 2nd pregnancy. He was fine except at that age he was a very early riser. tbugrin
I haven't had the younger one yet as at just 2 he is still in a cot, but DD is leading a long weekend guide camp in August so good old mum will have both as SiL works nights tbuhmm

Nonnie Thu 17-Apr-14 13:25:15

Aka and cuddling up with a story at bedtime.tbusmile

ffinnochio Thu 17-Apr-14 13:30:28

Well, I should be so lucky ! To all of you - just enjoy. tbusmile]

ffinnochio Thu 17-Apr-14 13:30:56

tbusmile

ninathenana Thu 17-Apr-14 15:39:53

I used to love reading bed time stories. Sadly 5yr old has deemed himself to old !

grannyactivist Thu 17-Apr-14 16:44:56

My four year and one year old grandsons have been staying overnight (or longer) on a regular basis since they were just weeks old and regard my house very much as a second home. We have fairly tight routines, so they know pretty much how the daily rituals such as meals, bath and bedtimes go and are very comfortable being here without their mother. It helps that we have our own equipment for them here so even when they're only visiting for the day with their parents they feel at home as soon as they walk through the door. They're coming for the day on Monday with parents and next weekend they're staying here whilst mum and dad go to a wedding. If I'm having them early in the day I much prefer that they stay the night before. It is hard work though and as much as I love having them it's good when they leave too. tbugrintbugrintbugrintbugrintbugrin

Nonnie Thu 17-Apr-14 17:21:22

Nina try again, he probably only thought that for one day.

goldengirl Thu 17-Apr-14 17:51:43

We've also had our GC since they were small although we've not had the latest arrival who's now 18m overnight yet but he does come for one day a week and has his nap quite happily. DDs children constantly ask when they can sleep over and they only live down the road! They are no trouble but they have quite a few activities in the week so our free time and theirs doesn't
always correspond.

Like Grannyactivist we have a sleepover routine and it works well. I love reading stories that for me is the best bit. It is tiring though but worth it.

Coolgran65 Thu 17-Apr-14 19:57:46

We child mind our 2 GC for a 12 hour shift on one day each week. They also come as a family for Sunday dinner. Sleepovers are as required. They are aged 3 and 6 and sleepovers have their own routine. A treat plate and a movie and then bedtime which is much later than at home. Treat place is a biscuit, a marshmallow, strawberries and grapes. And some Nutella in an eggcup for 'dipping'.
What happens at Granny's... stays at Granny's. Mum and dad know this, know kiddies are up late, but also know that we also keep to discipline and boundaries.

Silverfish Thu 17-Apr-14 20:10:38

My DGD comes to stay regularly overnight and I love it, she has her own room and instead of lugging baby equipment back and forth Ive bought my own stuff and will donate it to charity as she grows out of it. I have no trouble with her and I love telling her stories in bed, she sleeps well just gets up a bit early for me. we watch peppa pig from about 6am.
As she cant come downstairs alone she has to be carried so its hard on my spondylosis (cant spell) so im usually in pain by the time she goes home but I wouldn't say anything to my daughter, I just have a nice hot bath. Could'nt cope without Peppa though!!!

Silverfish Thu 17-Apr-14 20:12:13

Cant wait for the time when we can start reading Enid Blyton, re-live my childhood

petra Thu 17-Apr-14 21:35:41

We live very close to the DGC so I see them most days so it's home from home to them.
We are moving soon ( I hope) and the 4 yr old gets really upset when we talk about the move. She shouts, no, no, no. Unfortunately she can't articulate what she is feeling.
Her and I are very close and I think that in her little mind she has the feeling that I'm going away.
I keep telling her about her new room, and that I will have a garden, and a bike, to go out with her and her brother, but she's still confused.

Penstemmon Thu 17-Apr-14 21:58:47

I have had the DGC overnight since they were small. Not yet had all four together so Aka let us know how it goes!

The cousins live close so they also sleep at each other's homes!

susieb755 Thu 17-Apr-14 23:35:16

I have had DGD staying over since she was 6 months old, she is still in the travel cot though until DH moves his crap precious pieces of wood out of the room
we were a bit unprepared last visit and she ran in the room to put her stuff in there, looked horrified and demanded in a loud voice Wheres Scarletts Bed!!

I think she likes sleepovers....

POGS Fri 18-Apr-14 11:43:09

Sleepovers are a joy in our house.

I think the fact our GD has had sleepovers here, with her other granny and many friends of mum and dad has made DGD very grounded. She is good company and has a good sense of humour and enjoys being with people.

Sleepovers at Nan's consists of a Cinema night. That's a kid's film, coco at 8p.m, blue fairy lights on surrounding the tele, marvellous. Nan get's a total wind down time too. wink

Just a quick question, Is there anything more heart warming than looking at your GC snuggled up and cosy asleep?