Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Did you know that UKIP ......

(51 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 27-May-14 08:58:42

.... was founded by a liberal professor from the LSE?

I continue to be surprised by all things UKIP and the recent elections.

UKIP

This is a long but fascinating article about UKIPs origins and how it's developed into 'frankensteins monster'.

Tegan Tue 27-May-14 09:33:17

One of their 'policies' is to charge people each time they visit a doctor; they will no doubt change it before next years election.

berdie Tue 27-May-14 09:38:58

Alan Sked, a professer of International History at the LSE. I'm sure that he has lots to say about the state of this nation. UKIP have done well in the elections, lets see if they can make any changes. Lets face it, the last few years have not been managed well by the other three major parties. I think he should concentrate on writing his books on America and Lincoln, or tidy up his office. Rant over smile

suebailey1 Tue 27-May-14 09:47:14

There has to be some grit in the oyster.

annodomini Tue 27-May-14 09:50:19

UKIP controls nothing, Berdie, you will look in vain for any changes they can make. On the other hand, parties that do have control, whether national or local, may make policy changes under the threat of further UKIP advances next year in the General Election.

Mamie Tue 27-May-14 10:05:33

Well they would have to start turning up, for a start.
This is from The Independent, today.

"Nigel Farage and his deputy, Paul Nuttall, had the worst attendance ratings of any UK politician in Brussels but still managed to cost the taxpayer over £600,000 each in salary and allowances.
Over the last parliament Mr Farage has not drafted or amended a single report and voted just 42 per cent of the time. Mr Nuttall spoke in parliament on average just 10 times a year and asked 24 parliamentary questions."

How can people who voted for them justify the waste of taxpayers' money?Especially as they often seem to be the same people who complain about the money wasted in Brussels.

Riverwalk Tue 27-May-14 10:32:08

You're right about grit in the oyster suebailey .... why on earth would disgraced former MP Neil Hamilton stand for a seat on the local council? confused

I can't see him being genuinely interested in the bins and street lighting!

(He came 8th in a list of 9)

suebailey1 Tue 27-May-14 10:37:54

What I really meant was David Cameron has said 'the people have spoken (re UKIP vote) and we must listen which makes UKIP the grit that's needed to make something good perhaps? Did DC mean that he hadn't heard the people speaking/shouting/screaming at him for the past five years?

Nonnie Tue 27-May-14 10:45:11

I missed most of the news yesterday but think I heard that all over Europe there were protests votes so perhaps the excesses of the EU will be curbed from now on? Interesting to see what comes out over time.

berdie Tue 27-May-14 11:02:19

All but a few MP's are guilty of costing the taxpayer million's. I notice that when it comes to MP's pay increases, they all crawl out of the woodwork to attend Westminster, but when it comes to debates on important issues, the house is nearly empty.

FlicketyB Tue 27-May-14 12:47:31

I believe Aan Sked resigned from UKIP in 1997, 17 years ago, because of his dislike of what the party had become so he can hardly be held responsible for what the party has evolved into.

HollyDaze Tue 27-May-14 12:53:30

^"Nigel Farage and his deputy, Paul Nuttall, had the worst attendance ratings of any UK politician in Brussels but still managed to cost the taxpayer over £600,000 each in salary and allowances.
Over the last parliament Mr Farage has not drafted or amended a single report and voted just 42 per cent of the time. Mr Nuttall spoke in parliament on average just 10 times a year and asked 24 parliamentary questions."^

I think Farage explained that when the question was put to him. If memory serves me well, he said something like: they only turn up to vote on matters that have a direct effect on Britain or those they feel they have the opportunity of influencing the outcome. He also stated that his attendance record in Europe was better than many MPs travelling just a few miles to Westminster.

HollyDaze Tue 27-May-14 12:55:27

Lets face it, the last few years have not been managed well by the other three major parties

Absolutely. From what I've observed, it seems to an all out on widening the divide and pulling back severely on state provision.

Iam64 Wed 28-May-14 09:30:58

Holly - I understood your post to mean that you believe Ukip with work to diminish the divide, and to increase state provision. Have I read it wrong? Only my impression of Ukip is there is no desire to increase state provision or to reduce the growing divide between those who have and those who have not.

durhamjen Wed 28-May-14 15:36:06

anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/ukip-privatise-nhs-nuttall-ttip.html

Ukip definitely do not want to increase the state. They are Thatcherites through and through.
Their support of the TTIP means that the government, of any colour, will end up having to pay US companies for not allowing them to make large profits out of our council contracts and NHS contracts.

durhamjen Wed 28-May-14 16:31:17

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2014/05/23/this-mornings-political-landscape-is-a-victory-for-the-cowardly-state/

Richard Murphy says it, too. Ukip wants to diminish the state.

HollyDaze Wed 28-May-14 21:09:28

Iam64

I have no idea what UKIP intend to do as I haven't seen their manifesto - I don't think they're in a position to be able to do much other than bring about the referendum that many in the UK have been asking for. If UKIP don't want to increase state provision and care little about the growing divide, it makes them no different from the politicians that the UK have had for a long time now.

I'm just pleased that, at long last, significant numbers of UK residents have said 'enough is enough - listen to what we're saying or we'll vote in X, Y or Z'.

What the ultimate answer to those problems is, I have no idea about that either - if I did, I'd be quite well known by now!

durhamjen Thu 29-May-14 00:52:25

A Ukip councillor has been ejected from the party already because of racist and homophobic comments. He did not last long.

durhamjen Thu 29-May-14 10:35:38

Ukip does not have a manifesto. Farage ditched the last one in January and will launch the next one in September. He has not yet decided where they stand on the NHS or the economy.

Gagagran Thu 29-May-14 10:40:51

I think we all know where you stand politically durhamjen but the fact remains that thousands of people disagree with you and the party you support. Surely we are seeing democracy working with the rise of UKIP giving a voice to those disaffected with what has been on offer up to now?

petallus Thu 29-May-14 10:52:31

Agree Gagagram

HollyDaze Thu 29-May-14 14:47:28

Another in agreement with Gagagran

durhamjen Thu 29-May-14 15:18:50

Gagagran, I wrote what I did in response to Hollydaze who said she had not read the manifesto. I was just telling her she couldn't because they did not have one.
I am pleased you all know what party I support. It means I have not been wasting my time. Can you tell me what Ukip are for?

Tegan Thu 29-May-14 15:22:23

Can those of you who UKIP represent please explain to me what are the policies that represent your opinions on anything other than immigration? Can you also name me another UKIP member and tell me what they stand for [other than the racist homophobic one that's juist left the party I don't know much about any of the others]. Does Farage still want to charge everyone each time they visit their GP or is that part of the manifesto he ripped up so he can start again [when he's decided what it is]. confused I find this all very frightening.

HollyDaze Thu 29-May-14 15:23:17

Can you tell me what Ukip are for?

At a rough guess, I would say they are for people who are sick to the back teeth of being misled, ignored and treated with disregard by the usual two main parties.