Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone had a broken wrist/arm?

(36 Posts)
squaredog Tue 03-Jun-14 08:45:00

Oh dear, although I have friends who 'offer', someone to take me for my big shop once a week, after just 3 weeks, I'm feeling the loss of my independence, (I'm a car driving singleton), my ability to sew, craft, paint, and open a soddin' bottle!

I've rejoined the local library and am thinking of giving the reading club a go, I will try the bus when I feel a little more secure (do they ever let you sit down before starting up again?), and bloody whoe is me.......

I'm such a cheery person, no really I am, so please, if anyone has any ideas for not going completely stir-crazy, let me know.

I also realise, this has been sent to test my patience. Mmmmmm

hildajenniJ Sat 21-Jun-14 18:50:08

Oh poor you squaredog. I broke my left wrist three years ago after falling on the ice by my garden gate. I wasn't allowed to go to work (nursing) for seven weeks. I just about went crazy. I read loads and did puzzles. The best exercise for it when the plaster came off was to do press ups against a wall . Put your hands, with arms outstretched, against a wall. Then push in and out. The physio said I'd probably regain 80% use of it, but I actually now have full use of my arm. I now dislike ice intensely, except in a drink. grin

squaredog Sat 07-Jun-14 09:07:37

Well, I've had osteoporosis for 20 yrs, so flippin lucky it wasn't my hip.

It's also in my arm with lymphoedema, (no lymph glands), so my fingers are just starting to swell enough to be uncomfy.

Oh, yes, it does indeed make you grateful for what able bodies we have, doesn't it?

After I'd been through my protracted cancer treatment, I found listening to people moaning about trivia irritating. Wondering now, if I've become one of them.

Oh dear..........

trendygran Fri 06-Jun-14 18:06:35

No, but I understand the rubbish written by AAAHappyMan ,as a native of a few miles from Grimethorpe, No longer in that wonderful county ,unfortunately. Not sure what it has to do with broken limbs!

PRINTMISS Fri 06-Jun-14 08:54:06

With you there Stansgran and squaredog I sympathise with you, broke my wrist last year, fortunately my left one, I am right handed, but what a nuisance it was! However I would advise taking it steady, make sure you do the exercises which I presume have been given to you, and when the plaster comes off try to remember that you will no be able to lift anything heavy. I had to wear a light support for about a week. Patience is a virtue and virtue is a grace and Grace is a little girl who wouldn't wash her face! - Not sure that helps, but my old boss used to say that to me after I had been sitting waiting for dictation, whilst he was on the phone.

DebnCreme Fri 06-Jun-14 07:19:51

Poor you squaredog as everyone says; read, read, read. I had a fall a couple of weeks ago and all there was virtually no damage it has caused me to lose confidence so it must be so much worse for you. Perhaps you could organise a small social gathering for your 'shopping team' then they can open the bottles grin ? Good luck flowers.

i found AAA's first message quite amusing in a weird sorta way but sadly further messages became too obscure for my poor addled brain smile

Ariadne Fri 06-Jun-14 06:52:46

They do indeed, MiceElf! Irrelevant and insensitive are other words I'd use.

Squaredog much sympathy on this long haul. I have just about recovered from a knee replacement, and, while it is a totally different matter from a broken arm, I can still appreciate how you feel about the loss of independence. I am not on my own, and could therefore be driven around, and give instructions about food, shopping etc grin but even asking for simple help made me feel useless.

I'd reiterate what others have said - read, read, read. There is also a really good app called really, full of every magazine possible. You have to subscribe eventually, but there's quite a long free trial. It is ideal for just browsing.

Keep posting. flowers

MiceElf Fri 06-Jun-14 05:11:08

The words 'pub' and 'bore' spring to mind.

AAAHappyMan Thu 05-Jun-14 23:48:28

Stanley Holloway expressed what we Brits used to take pride in - but now it seems that West coast of USA emotional incontinence has even spread to some of our generation.
I say, Stanley - over to you old boy - you jolly North Country lad you !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h29OpLm_D3w

annodomini Thu 05-Jun-14 11:16:44

I've had two ops (one on right hand and the other on the left shoulder) that left me one-handed for a good six weeks each time. It is so frustrating, but I found I did adjust, though I am so right-handed that using a mouse and typing with my left hand was a real challenge. And try doing a sudoku or a crossword with the 'wrong hand! A silver lining was that it was the perfect opportunity to have a cleaner. I hated not being able to drive, but it was a great saving on petrol, as I have a bus pass, though on occasion, I found that I had overdone the shopping and had to get a taxi home. hmm. squaredog, do try the reading club. You may find authors you'd never heard of. Look on the sunshine side. You are three weeks through the ordeal, which could be half-way.

AAA - nice that you find this thread funny. I doubt if your sense of humour is shared here.

Nelliemoser Thu 05-Jun-14 10:50:20

Squaredog Sympathies.

I had my right arm out of action last autumn following a the repair of two frayed tendons. It was very frustrating, difficulties getting dressed, eating and much more, being unable to drive myself was really frustrating I do like my independence.

The sling came off a couple of weeks before Xmas and I was pushed into using it. Very painful but Christmas cooking, did force me to get the muscles back in use, reaching for the kitchen utensils on my window ledge was really hard but it really did help along with the pain killers.

I did get to typing on GN with my left hand. It did help pass the time.

Stansgran Thu 05-Jun-14 10:28:01

Does Google translate Yorkshire?

AAAHappyMan Thu 05-Jun-14 00:52:22

Soutra Wed 04-Jun-14 23:00:15
... my response to your unsympathetic and unhelpful comments ....
Eeee, lass - tha'd not last long in god's awn takin' laik that'n wen tha' meant ta say wot tha's just say'd.
Soutra - were'n't 'e lad wot wrote fu't' Black Dyke Mill 'n Grimethorpe Colliery?
Aye - John Philip they cal'd 'im - grand lad ! Were 'e yer Gran'feather, 'appen?

Soutra Wed 04-Jun-14 23:00:15

I think most people know that - Duh! But my response to your unsympathetic and unhelpful comments remains the same.

flowers squaredog and sympathy - you deserve no less!

AAAHappyMan Wed 04-Jun-14 22:46:55

It ain't a Theory - it's a Song !
You youngsters !

Soutra Wed 04-Jun-14 22:35:12

An interesting theory - if you have not helped somebody, then does the opposite obtain?

AAAHappyMan Wed 04-Jun-14 22:30:21

Thank you, Ana.
If I can help somebody, as I pass along,
Then my living will not be in vain.

Ana Wed 04-Jun-14 21:39:39

Very helpful...hmm

AAAHappyMan Wed 04-Jun-14 21:03:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

henetha Wed 04-Jun-14 18:22:22

Enormous sympathy for you, squaredog. As another car driving singleton, I send you my very best wishes. My sprained wrist last year was bad enough.
I hope you get better very soon. Meanwhile, reading, television, computer,
inviting friends in for coffee and chat, radio, crossword puzzles etc. Phone calls to famiy and friends.... I hope you manage to stay sane.
Get well soon. All the best.

Agus Wed 04-Jun-14 17:05:43

Good advice MiceElf. I had my clinic appointment today, given the all clear to drive again after 3 months. Oh, to be mobile again! The clinic gave me the opportunity to have a bone scan to which I agreed and they gave me an appointment to have this done next month. Osteoporosis is common in females post menopause and the site of any injury is weakened after a fracture in over 60's.

I nursed in orthopaedics and it was an eye opener for me too seeing how certain procedures have advanced. ie instead of weeks in plaster cast I was discharged after 5 days and allowed home with a brace.

cangran Wed 04-Jun-14 16:48:58

I broke my left wrist (simple fall on path outside the house, wearing shoes that I discovered were lethally slippery when wet) six years ago. I was running a business on my own and had to type - did it awkwardly with only my right hand - and got RSI in that hand! It was a difficult time. I don't have a close relationship with my husband and was determined to be as independent as possible. I did the physio exercises religiously and, as soon as I could, went back to my Pilates class. I think both helped a lot in recovering full use of the wrist.

MiceElf made a v. good point about asking for (if you haven't been offered already) a bone density scan to check for osteoporosis. I had one and was diagnosed a few months after the break and then started treatment for it. So far, touch wood, no further breaks. My son now works in the business (I still potter) and I don't feel nearly so vulnerable as I did.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Granali Wed 04-Jun-14 16:47:42

Being right handed and with a broken right wrist I spent time learning to do my usual hobbies/intetssts with my left hand. For me that was writing; watercolour painting;baking. Took times as long butoutcomes were ok and has been a useful skill since when my old break is aching

MiceElf Wed 04-Jun-14 15:11:28

Mind, when I was in the hospital there was a woman opposite who had tripped over her grandson and fallen down the stairs. She had two broken wrists and a broken collar bone. She was very brave but poor lady had to have pretty much everything done for her. She was a retired hospital administrator and said it was an eye opener to be a patient.

MiceElf Wed 04-Jun-14 15:08:06

Yes, broken wrist and broken elbow six years later. Painful and soooo limiting, and I was fortunate enough to have a very helpful husband. I did lots of reading, wasted time on the Internet, weeded with one hand, ironed with one hand and got quite cross and fed up. When it's healed make sure you get a bone scan as it may be a sign of osteoporosis and then you should take medication to help.

Galen Wed 04-Jun-14 14:44:19

Dislocated right shoulder. Very difficult I agree.