Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone used Bio Oil for scars?

(28 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 23-Jun-14 14:01:45

I've just had the stitches out from where I had the mole removed, and it's looking like it might be quite an ugly scar. In the Bio Oil ads it's shown as being good to reduce scars.

Any experience of it, anyone? It's not cheap so I thought I'd ask before splashing out.

Tegan Mon 23-Jun-14 14:08:51

I've used wheatgerm oil for that in the past. The thing about Bio Oil is it lasts forever and you can use it on your face or hands or just about anywhere.

janerowena Mon 23-Jun-14 14:18:05

I had to have a mole removed on my arm, and I have to say the scar does look a little better after a year of using it. Last year you could see the holes either side of the cut where the stitches were, this year they are more blurred. It's not recent, I have had that scar for years now and despaired of ever losing it as it does look weird in the summer when I get a bit of a tan, despite factor 50.

glammanana Mon 23-Jun-14 14:25:01

As Tegan says it does last forever I used some that DD bought and use my neck and it improved texture of skin alot,try one of the smaller bottles you will find it lasts a long time.

Anne58 Mon 23-Jun-14 14:25:11

This is on my chest, and I've just made the big mistake of scratching it and it's opened slightly.

I now have to go back to the surgery at 3.45 sad Hopefully they will put steri strips on it, I really don't want it re-stitched!

janerowena Mon 23-Jun-14 14:27:14

No! Certainly not at this time of year. Roll neck sweaters in July! grin

merlotgran Mon 23-Jun-14 15:06:30

DH used it on his hip replacement scars. They healed and faded quickly but I don't know whether that's down to the bio oil or the fact that he seems to be a quick healer.

It's not cheap but we still have loads left.

janeainsworth Mon 23-Jun-14 16:00:40

I had a 2-inch cut above my right eye as a result of falling off a segway blush

I used Bio-oil on it and you can barely see anything. I didn't have it sutured, just steri-strips, but it was quite deep and nasty but healed very well.
I now use Bio-oil as a moisturiser, I love it.

ffinnochio Mon 23-Jun-14 16:11:02

janeain Do you use it as a moisturiser daily?

Anne58 Mon 23-Jun-14 16:46:00

Well, it looks like I won't be using anything on it for a while! A bit of humming and hahing re whether to re-stitch it as it had completely opened shock but they decided to just dress it. They didn't think steri strips would do much, and have warned me that it is likely to heal with a scar and a dent, if you know what I mean. sad. Not the end of the world, I know but not the outcome I was hoping for.

Also decided it looked infected blush so swabbed it and am now on a course of mega antibiotics.

Riverwalk Mon 23-Jun-14 16:52:50

I wouldn't go rubbing in any emollients if I were you phoenix, particularly as you've been messing around enough with the wound!

jane your accident on the segway sounds nasty but I couldn't help picturing you riding aloft, rather like Supergran on her motobike grin

Charleygirl Mon 23-Jun-14 17:05:46

phoeniox it was suggested that I use bio oil on my knee wound after the sutures were removed following a knee replacement. The price put me off, I applied no oil at all and my wound is as good as it will ever be, I am delighted with it.

Please keep your mucky paws off the wound!!!

Anne58 Mon 23-Jun-14 17:20:27

Honest, I haven't been "messing around" with it! It itched a little bit and I sort of gently scratched it without thinking! It's not as if I've got talons, my nails break too low down to be considered a danger.

Charleygirl I'll have you know my paws are pristine!

They have given me 3 packs of dressings, but I suppose it means back to baths again instead of my morning shower. Bugger.

Lona Mon 23-Jun-14 17:20:57

I've used Bio Oil on my face every night for a few years, it's great.
However I would think any light oil will help on a scar, maybe not a highly perfumed one though.

annodomini Mon 23-Jun-14 17:22:24

i used it on my wrist after a trapeziectomy. The scar was pretty well healed by the time all the strapping came off, so the oil was just to keep the skin flexible. My GD, then aged 3, asked what I was doing. I replied that I was rubbing oil on my wrist. She looked disapprovingly at me and stated: 'Oil is for cooking.'

kittylester Mon 23-Jun-14 17:24:07

All 3 DDs have used it at sometime or another and swear by it. Both DSs are too macho for any of that stuff. grin

JessM Mon 23-Jun-14 18:11:42

This company have been slapped around by the advertising standards authority for illegally claiming that this product is good for scars and stretch marks.
www.cosmeticsbusiness.com/news/article_page/title/49489

Scars take longer to heal the older you are folks. But they do fade with time. My DH had some raised red keloid-y scars after mole removals. They are much improved with time. He's the only person I know who ever tried this product - he came out in an itchy rash.

Anne58 Mon 23-Jun-14 18:28:02

Interesting Jess thanks for that.

Crafting Mon 23-Jun-14 18:39:04

My husband used it on the advice of a nurse after having surgery on his neck. Yes there is a scar (about 10 inches long) but it's smooth and flat and healed well. I have used it on grandchildren too. I think it's good.

MrsJamJam Mon 23-Jun-14 18:53:20

I tried it, but after a few days my skin began to itch. That went away when I stopped the bio oil so in the end I had to give away an expensive bottle to a friend.

Anne58 Mon 23-Jun-14 19:36:35

Wish I'd stuck with the damn mole now, but as it was sort of recent, I suppose it was right to get it removed. Wont get the result for about another 4 weeks though.

janeainsworth Mon 23-Jun-14 19:42:09

Ffinnochio I use it mainly on neck, arms & legs after a shower - my skin is quite dry and it stops that tight itchy feeling. Also smells very nice, just light and not overpowering.

River coming off the segway was just about the most stupid thing I have ever done blush Anyone of a squeamish disposition, do not read the rest of this post.
The 'experience' was a Christmas gift from DD1 and SiL, and had gone really well. I had really enjoyed it. Then 5 minutes before the end I got overconfident, went up a steep ramp and the segway fell backwards on top of meshock sort of bouncing up and down until someone rushed over and lifted it off meshock
I was wearing sunglasses and the lens came out and cut the skin above my eye. I couldn't see because of all the blood and screamed hysterically for some timeshock I was particularly worried because I'd just had a cataract op on that eye.
Anyway within a very short time a lovely ambulance man called Steve appeared, injected me with something to calm me down, wiped away all the blood and stuck some steri-strips on. He then took me to A&E at Newcastle's RVI where after some more time, the registrar had a look and decided that Steve had done such a good job with the steri-strips that there was no need for suturing.
The post -op instructions consisted of not touching the wound under any circumstances. This meant that I had to go round for the next 10 days with a horrible 2 inch long, curved black scab on my forehead. People looked at me in the local shops and quickly averted their eyes.
I will always be really really grateful to Steve blush

rosequartz Mon 23-Jun-14 19:54:30

I have used Bio-oil on a very large scar, mainly to keep it flexible and stop it from getting too dry. Flexitol oil is also very good and not quite as greasy imo. The scar is still there though.

I use Aveeno body lotion on the scar now mainly, but often whatever is at hand to keep it moisturised.

mcem Mon 23-Jun-14 19:57:10

My daughter swore by bio oil during her pregnancies and despite all sorts of problems has no stretch marks at all. She has very fair and sensitive skin. She still has it around and uses it from time to time.

FlicketyB Mon 23-Jun-14 21:07:38

DD used bio oil on a scarred arm after a serious accident. She found it very good. Obviously in her case it couldn't make the scar disappear but it certainly helped and made her skin feel soft.