Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lost shed key!

(19 Posts)
vicky1 Thu 26-Jun-14 12:48:03

Sorry double post!

vicky1 Thu 26-Jun-14 12:47:25

Just an update, got new square key from hardware shop which worked fine, getting a padlock too! Thanks for answers everyone.
@Phoenix mostly been in Arts and crafts but virtual party sounds fun!

vicky1 Thu 26-Jun-14 12:42:19

Just an update, got new square key from hardware shop which worked fine, getting a padlock too! Thanks for answers everyone.
@Phoenix mostly been in Arts and crafts but virtual party sounds fun!

Anne58 Thu 26-Jun-14 11:44:53

Thanks vicky!

Goodness knows what you might think if you've ever read any of the threads about our virtual parties!

merlotgran Thu 26-Jun-14 11:41:05

I dread to think what ideas we're putting in your head, vicky.

vicky1 Thu 26-Jun-14 11:27:24

Hello all
Thanks for so many quick replies - will head down hardware shop and see if they have replacement
@Hollydaze you're right, it was worryingly easy to break in with a spoon!
@Phoenix activity coordinator for retirement home so come here to look for ideas - not wishing to imply any of you are old enough for that though!

Nonu Thu 26-Jun-14 10:58:13

RATHER Holly, I second that !!
grin

HollyDaze Thu 26-Jun-14 10:15:04

We're on here more often - can we get paid as well grin

Stansgran Thu 26-Jun-14 10:12:02

I want to know too. Coming on here and getting paid for it? Hmmmmmm.

Anne58 Thu 26-Jun-14 09:37:02

Vicky may I ask what you do, as you say you come here as part of your work?

glammanana Thu 26-Jun-14 09:31:55

Vicky Off to B&Q for a new padlock and key is best idea and I bet when you get it fitted you will find the lost key grin

merlotgran Thu 26-Jun-14 09:17:43

DH is always shutting his keys in the shed despite me putting a long red dangly cord on them so he can hang them outside while he's working.

I have a spare key for the shed on my car key ring and another one in the kitchen drawer and there may even be another one in my handbag but then again, that might be from years ago and we've probably replaced the lock since then! hmm

tanith Thu 26-Jun-14 09:15:32

I keep our shed key on the ring with the back door and garden gate keys which works well unless of course I lose them all lol. (Can't figure out how to add Smiley's on this tablet).

HollyDaze Thu 26-Jun-14 08:40:23

Great minds eh Ethelgladrags

Agus Thu 26-Jun-14 08:40:04

All I can recommend is try a key cutting service. They may either know which one you mean or you may spot it on their display board. Good luck smile

HollyDaze Thu 26-Jun-14 08:39:44

Once I'd got the shed open, I'd put a new lock on it!

Ethelgladrags Thu 26-Jun-14 08:38:57

Vicky, shed keys are things with a mind of their own, I have lost more shed keys than I can remember, have burgled my own sheds and had the screaming heebies as they can just never be found. Its easier to hacksaw the lock and just buy another one and if you can open your shed with a teaspoon its a security risk.

shysal Thu 26-Jun-14 08:37:50

Hello and welcome vicky1. I just did an ebay search under 'square ended key', and it brings up a selection of various sizes. If you can get a measurement I am sure you will find a replacement.
Good luck!

vicky1 Thu 26-Jun-14 08:26:51

Hello all
I hope you don't mind me posting on here as I am not a gran but I come and look at this site quite often for work and I don't have any grandads or see my dad to ask this sort of question
Husband has lost the shed key, it was a T shaped thing with a square end. Does anyone know if it comes in a standard size and if so where I could source a replacement - as he is currently using the end of one of my teaspoons to unlock the shed!
Thanks in advance