Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Opinions please!

(48 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 06-Jul-14 18:56:19

Evening all.

As some may know, I keep tinkering with the idea of a poem/verse writing service. I thought through a few names, Odes to Go, Rachel's Rhymes, Verse & Worse, but decided I liked "Rhymes for Reasons"

Mr P wants to register this at Companies House, apparently it only shock ONLY! costs about £20.

Now, the question is, do we got for:
Rhymes for Reasons OR
Rhymes4Reasons

Or of course anything else that I may not have thought of.

Thank you!

Charleygirl Sun 06-Jul-14 19:01:13

My preference is Verses and Worse and my second is Rhymes4Reasons.

Ana Sun 06-Jul-14 19:02:50

I think Verse & Worse has already been done (and copyrighted!).

Mishap Sun 06-Jul-14 19:05:31

"Occasional Odes" - i.e. poetry for occasions. Just a thought!

Anne58 Sun 06-Jul-14 19:31:09

Thanks for these, Mr P is very much taken with Rhymes for Reasons (jury out on whether it should be "4" or "for"

He reminded me that over the years I have been asked for (and done) verse for various wedding anniversaries, engagement parties, hen nights, best man speeches and even funerals/memorial services, so he feels that Rhymes (for/4) Reasons is the best choice?

Bearing in mind that he is hovering at my elbow, poised to go onto the Companies House website and register it.........shock

Once it's registered, I don't actually have to do anything, but after 2 years I have to submit accounts to Companies House, whether I'm trading or not!

Oooh heck! it's all real and scary!

Gagagran Sun 06-Jul-14 19:31:28

I like Rhymes for Reasons best. Sounds classy. Good luck with it Phoenix - hope it goes down well. sunshine

Anne58 Sun 06-Jul-14 19:35:01

Thanks Gaga I must say that is my personal preference, but would appreciate some extra input.

Rowantree Sun 06-Jul-14 19:38:53

Rhymes for All Reasons? A Rhyme for All Reasons? Dotty Ditties?

Elegran Sun 06-Jul-14 19:42:06

Rhymes for reasons sounds good to me, too. (But how about Bespoke Verse, hand-written to fit your special occasion ?)

NfkDumpling Sun 06-Jul-14 19:46:41

Rhymes for Reasons is classier, but how does it read when you set up a website? www.Rhymesforreasons? RhymesForReasons? Rhymes4reasons? The last one reads better then I think.

Good luck either way. Go for it!

shysal Sun 06-Jul-14 19:48:07

I like Rhymes for Reasons in either form, perhaps the 4 version is a bit more trendy and eye catching, but will not please the pedants!
Where are you hoping to advertise? Could you have a stall at a wedding fair to see if there is demand for verse or even funny speeches written to order. You would be fantastic!

rosesarered Sun 06-Jul-14 20:01:20

I prefer Rhymes For Reasons phoenix it just sounds nicer [not keen on anything with a 4 in it!]Good luck.

merlotgran Sun 06-Jul-14 20:07:58

Rhymes For Reasons gets my vote as well.

NanKate Sun 06-Jul-14 20:45:25

Phoenix you may want to also get yourself some web addresses based on what you finally choose. I don't know how you do this but some clever Gransnetter will.

My son, who is an author, always checks what names are available online when he is changing to a new series of books. This sometimes affects what he eventually calls the series. Hope that helps.

Nonu Sun 06-Jul-14 20:47:56

SO what"s it to be ?
Let us know !
x

Elegran Sun 06-Jul-14 21:26:23

It is easy enough, if you google you will find info. Perhaps you should see what is available before you get on to companies house and commit yourself? Get web addresses that are miss-spellings and guesswork for your chosen name too. Then you catch the people who only half remember it.

Anne58 Sun 06-Jul-14 21:53:04

Well, you pop downstairs to do a bit of "light domestic" in the kitchen, and then "pooof" you suddenly find that you are a director of a company called "Rhymes for Reasons" !

I was just sorting out the roast dinner
When" himself" went all strong and so butch!
So it seems that I now have a business
And the Welsh in me needs a good "cwtch"

it's so lovely that he has such faith in me.
But I really don't know that I might
Deliver stuff that people would pay for,
But I'm off now to think, so goodnight!

POGS Sun 06-Jul-14 21:55:08

Phoenix

Just typed in Rhymes for Reasons into Google and it threw up contacts. One was concerning writing poems, was that you???

POGS Sun 06-Jul-14 21:58:17

Pheonix

Our posts crossed.

Well done you.

Can I be the first to congratulate you and wish you lots of success.

Such fun.

flowers. wine

Notso Sun 06-Jul-14 22:07:02

Will you be on Twitter? We can all follow and re-tweet to promote your enterprise! Will you have a web site? It's very exciting smile

Anne58 Sun 06-Jul-14 22:17:13

Oh heck POGS ! Don't think it can be me yet! [very worried emoticon] Perhaps someone has pipped me to the post!

Notso oh double heck, think it might be going wrong before anything has started!

Ana Sun 06-Jul-14 22:23:08

Don't panic, phoenix. I don't think you're on google yet. Good luck, though!

POGS Sun 06-Jul-14 22:24:28

Phoenix

This is getting weird isn't it.

I genuinely thought you were saying in your post 21.53 you had bit the bullet and 'gone for it'.

Perhaps this is an omen. wink

ninathenana Sun 06-Jul-14 22:38:53

Well done phoenix by the time I'd asked DH's opinion on for/4 it had been decided. His reasoning was it will look classier in print.

Very best wishes, I'm sure there will be some profit showing on those end if year accounts smile

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Jul-14 23:06:10

phoenix Good luck ! I missed this conversation. IMO I would have definitely said "for" not 4 if you want to be taken seriously and you are trying to interest people of all ages. .

Using 4 might be trendy but I really think its naff.