Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Opinions please!

(49 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 06-Jul-14 18:56:19

Evening all.

As some may know, I keep tinkering with the idea of a poem/verse writing service. I thought through a few names, Odes to Go, Rachel's Rhymes, Verse & Worse, but decided I liked "Rhymes for Reasons"

Mr P wants to register this at Companies House, apparently it only shock ONLY! costs about £20.

Now, the question is, do we got for:
Rhymes for Reasons OR
Rhymes4Reasons

Or of course anything else that I may not have thought of.

Thank you!

Elegran Mon 07-Jul-14 08:37:20

Don't like to rain on your parade but www.rhymesforallreasons.net/ already exists.

That is why I suggested checking the net before committing yourself! You really need a .net, a .com and a .co.uk to cover all eventualities.

That one is in the States, so it couild be OK, but the internet is international.

Elegran Mon 07-Jul-14 08:39:30

So does this www.reasons4rhymes.com/about.html

Elegran Mon 07-Jul-14 08:43:48

The blurb that accompanies "Reasons4rhymes" on Google says "My hobby has turned into a business, and now – as you can see- I officially write Rhymes for Reasons. I do it because I love it, and because I get a great reaction ..."

I thought that was you, Phoenix when I first read it.

Anne58 Mon 07-Jul-14 09:01:42

Morning all!

Well, I thought from mumblings that were reaching the kitchen that he had completed it, but apparently he's going to have another go today from the office.

Elegran you are right, there is one in the US that is "Rhymes for All Reasons, I will have a quick look at the other one.

May have to do a re-think.........

Mishap Mon 07-Jul-14 09:11:55

I agree about the use of "4" - it is currently trendy with the young, but it might just be a fad and fall from favour, and it might put off the age group that I guess you are aiming at.

"Occasional Odes" is not already taken!!

Elegran Mon 07-Jul-14 09:39:52

Scrub my suggestion of Bespoke Verse. It exists in UK. bespokeverse.co.uk/

Elegran Mon 07-Jul-14 09:44:52

When you start getting domain names, get the .com the .co.uk and the .net versions, and other variations that people could type in by mistake. You can redirect them into the one that you are using as your shop window.

Also, when you do the tags that reference your page (all will become clear when you start to get the page up and running) use all the mis-spellings and variations you can think of, as well as all the attributes your poems have. Google and other search engines will find these and show your site.

kittylester Mon 07-Jul-14 09:48:54

Keep us posted phoenix on your decision! You know we are rooting for you. flowers

Mishap Mon 07-Jul-14 10:14:03

Indeed we are!

When you get up and running you need a good website and also to take steps to make sure that it is your site that pops up first when people do a search. This is a good reason for thinking very hard about your company name as well. If the business is for writing poems and you think people will put in the word "Poem" in their search, then you will do better if that word is actually in the name - i.e. you need to think what people might search for and make sure that your name reflects that so that yours will come up near the top in a search.

Try the local college if you want a website made - you can probably get it done cheaply by a student.

The sort of business you propose needs to be on the net as you can send poems to anywhere in the world that way.

Can you write a few for friends and family so that the website can have some reviews and favourable comments on it for people to see?

Unfortunately there will need to be a bit of initial financial outlay: website, domain name etc. - and I know that is a problem for you at the moment. Perhaps you should research business start-up opportunities for grant funding. A web search should come up with something. And isn't there a Prince's Find of some sort that is aimed at helping small businesses to start up? I am sure another gran will know something about all this.

Cast your bread upon the waters and all that ........ but you have no bread at the moment! - so maybe try and get it from somewhere else.

Don't give up - I started a photography business from home on a shoestring about 10 years ago and did well.

MiniMouse Mon 07-Jul-14 15:04:07

Oh Phoenix what an adventure! Wishing you all the luck in the world smile

Eloethan Mon 07-Jul-14 15:13:38

I like Rowantree's suggestion A Rhyme for all Reasons - it has a nice rhythm. Personally I don't like numbers (or letters) replacing words (like Spud U Like, Toys R Us) - seems a bit tacky somehow.

I think you are very enterprising - good luck.

HollyDaze Mon 07-Jul-14 22:07:42

Like others, I also dislike '4' instead of 'for'.

If your first choice has gone, what about Rhapsody & Rhyme? (In ancient Greece, rhapsody meant an epic poem, or part of it, of a suitable length for recitation at one time.)

merlotgran Mon 07-Jul-14 22:13:05

If you need a second choice I think A Rhyme for all Reasons is great.

Will we be reading about you in Country Living? They run features on 'Starting your dream business'

NfkDumpling Tue 08-Jul-14 10:58:47

I like that Merlot. www.arythmforallreasons. The a would bring it out near the top too wouldn't it?

Elegran Tue 08-Jul-14 11:21:40

Not for Google - listings are not alphabetical. When you do a search the sites appear with the most popular and the ones whose tags most match your search terms first. So whatever domain name Phoenix chooses, she will need to tag it with all the words and phrases that people are likely to be searching for, and we all need to search and visit daily to bump up her ratings.

There are endless advice websites telling you how to get higher ion the ratings and appear on Google's first page. Anyone who has a website will tell you that they get half a dozen emails a week from hopefuls who promise to send it skyhigh (they want to be paid for this, of course, but the tips and hints are all on the net for free if you just search and take the trouble to do what is suggested. Trouble is, everyone else is following the same tips. You need to be original and memorable and to get lots of good feedback to display prominently)

merlotgran Tue 08-Jul-14 13:47:28

I can't take the credit for A Rhyme For All Reasons, I think it was Rowantree's idea.

Anne58 Tue 08-Jul-14 15:39:32

Oh heck, so much to think of! Might have to go on hold for a while, but luckily I have done quite a few for people, special wedding anniversaries, a hen night, a leaving do, birthdays etc so I can get some reviews/recommendations etc ready for when I do take the next step!

Ana Tue 08-Jul-14 16:01:50

Blimey, just had a look at Bespoke Verse and they charge £70-£99 per poem!!! I didn't expect prices to be that high, but you could certainly make a few bob, phoenix!

Anne58 Tue 08-Jul-14 16:44:25

I think I can be competitive on price, Ana wink

NfkDumpling Tue 08-Jul-14 17:39:07

Don't put it on hold for too long - Christmas is coming!!

GillT57 Tue 08-Jul-14 18:43:41

Whatever you choose, do remember that the words all run into each other as a web address, and you dont want to keep spelling it out to people. Also, sometimes words can run together and mean something very different as in the person who set up a web business to list business interests. It was called Who Represents......fine until it ran together into whorepresents grin.

NfkDumpling Tue 08-Jul-14 22:16:17

grin

mrshat Wed 09-Jul-14 20:31:24

Good luck Phoenix. I'm sure you will make it a great success smile