Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Light weight vacuum cleaner

(47 Posts)
Mishap Sat 16-Aug-14 17:33:01

Any recommendations? Neither of us can manage our vacuum now and I'd be interested to know if anyone can recommend a really light weight one.

When I looked them up I kept finding the robotic ones that buzz round and do it themselves - anyone any experience of these? The price is about the same as an ordinary one amazingly.

Thanks for your help.

AlieOxon Sat 16-Aug-14 17:38:05

Yes, I love them! And found - after my sister got me a new one - that the battery is now available to replace in the old one, so I have one upstairs and one downstairs, no carrying. (Not that heavy, anyway.)
They do very well and are easy to empty....won't fall down the stairs, but don't clean stairs. So I now have a hand-held one for that too.

No more sore back from hoovering.
I said when I got the first one 'If this is the future, I want some of it!'

Coolgran65 Sat 16-Aug-14 17:39:20

I got a Dyson animal 44 which charges and you get about 15 minutes use. DH idea and I had to be convinced, wouldn't be without it now. It is always on charge and it has never run out of energy. But that is likely because I don't 'do' the whole house thoroughly at one time. It would do the whole house in one go if it was a general scoot about.
Whole house comprises - standard 3 bedroom, one bathroom etc. etc.
A bit expensive, I've always had cheapo vacuums before, definitely got what we paid for with this one.

However, there are likely to be others that are more lightweight.

Aka Sat 16-Aug-14 17:40:09

I love my Roomba. He can safely be left to get on with the vacuuming while I veg out clean the rest of the house. He even docks himself to recharge. Only he doesn't vacuum the stairs.

Lona Sat 16-Aug-14 17:40:53

I've got the Dyson Animal too, AND I LOVE IT!!!

petra Sat 16-Aug-14 21:34:29

If it's a bog standard upright vacuum you want, you can't beat the Oreck.
I've had mine for 14 years and it really has taken a pounding.

Nanabelle Sun 17-Aug-14 01:20:32

I have a Dyson DC24 - it's an old model but is small and much lighter than the big ones. The handle goes down lower and it takes less storage space.I think now it is the DC50 - but this newer one has better features. The DC50 is 5.4 kg.
I have a townhouse with lots of rooms and two sets of stairs, so not sure a rechargeable one would suit - I wouldn't get much done in one go.

Mishap Sun 17-Aug-14 12:12:55

Aka - which Roomba do you have? The latest is the 880, but is very expensive. I am wondering if an earlier model might be just as good.

durhamjen Sun 17-Aug-14 17:19:14

I have a Vax Air3, bought last year as it only weighs 4kg, and I was not supposed to carry more than 5 kg. It looks a bit plasticky but does the job well. I've never liked the idea of bagless, which it is, but I empty it after every use to make sure it's not too heavy, so bagless is okay.

Mishap Sun 17-Aug-14 19:47:32

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

I have just taken the plunge and bought a Roomba - we have our 2 birthdays and a wedding anniversary coming up and we have bought this for each other! Romance is not dead!

I hope it works! Keeping the GC away from it will probably be a challenge, but at least the house will be cleaner than it is now as vacuuming is so hard with our heavy old thing.

durhamjen Sun 17-Aug-14 20:03:32

We bought my parents a red upright for their ruby anniversary a long time ago, Mishap. They did appreciate it, really, as even my dad had to use it.

AlieOxon Sun 17-Aug-14 20:15:23

Mishap ....just don't let anyone try to ride on it......

Ana Sun 17-Aug-14 20:18:10

Don't they get stuck when they encounter chair legs etc? That's always put me off even thinking about buying one.

Mishap Sun 17-Aug-14 20:35:15

I don't think so Ana - I have looked at the reviews in great detail and this does not seem to be a problem. Aka would know.

Ana Sun 17-Aug-14 20:38:38

Perhaps it was just a problem I read about with earlier models, they may have ironed out the wrinkles now!

AlieOxon Sun 17-Aug-14 20:52:15

I find I have to keep the floors clearer - I move the (light) chairs.

AlieOxon Sun 17-Aug-14 20:52:44

Keeping the floors clearer is not a bad thing!

Mishap Sun 17-Aug-14 21:07:03

Yes - several reviewers said that one of the beneficial spin-offs was that in order to have the convenience effort-free vacuuming you had to keep the floors a bit clearer of general rubbish and that this was a good thing.

Aka Sun 17-Aug-14 21:34:43

My Roomba from Lakeland

You do have to keep the floor clear of rubbish, such as chargers left in sockets, as they can gobble up the wire. I accidentally left a scarf hanging over a chair arm and the tassels just touched the floor. It took me ages to make Roomba disgorge it. And he seemed to be swearing at me in German. My chairs are all very heavy so has no problems, though I did lose him under a wardrobe once.

The very best is sending him in to clean under the beds.

My first one packed in after two years. Lakeland said if it was the battery I'd have to replace it myself. I bought a new battery and it still didn't work so Lakeland under their lifetime guarantee gave me my money back. I immediately bought a new one and that's still going strong three years on and I still have a spare battery.

Just beware though. I thought I'd prigrammed mine to come in at 2.00pm but I hadn't. I thought there was a burglar rummaging around downstairs in the early hours, but it was Roomba. I'd programme it to 2.00 AM hmm.

Mishap Mon 18-Aug-14 08:30:24

We have opted for the simple version that cannot be programmed for when you are out - we will just set it going before we go out, if that is when we want it to work.

Vacuuming under beds - now that sounds brilliiant!

Aka Mon 18-Aug-14 08:57:07

That is the best option Mishap I don't even know if my latest one can be prigrammed (I think not) I just set it off when need be. I often make myself an early cup of tea, set Roomba off downstairs, and go back to bed for half an hour whie he works.

smile

Charleygirl Mon 18-Aug-14 10:07:29

I have one of the earliest models and I loved it. The problem now is that I need a part for it as something has fallen off. Reading this has given me the incentive to do something.

Mary5154 Mon 18-Aug-14 10:38:28

Hi all - I have to admit I have never heard of this model of vacuum before. Other than this one, has anyone any recommends for an ordinary lightweight up-right hoover please?

rosesarered Mon 18-Aug-14 14:27:26

AKA grin

Mishap Tue 19-Aug-14 13:23:42

It's arrived!

Joke voted best one-liner at Edinburgh this year: I'm getting rid of my hoover - well, it's just gathering dust.