Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Whisky

(40 Posts)
kittylester Thu 18-Sep-14 11:13:42

For our wedding anniversary I usually buy DH a nice bottle of whisky and this year he has been particularly good grin so I thought he deserved something really special. The thing is, I can't stand the stuff, so I'm looking for suggestions from GN!

I have asked a grandad because DH is one too but suggestions from grand will also be welcome of course!

Fili Mon 09-Mar-15 12:13:10

Cheers, we too love whisky and such stuff.

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 20:35:34

grin I have lots of other exciting ailments too?

kittylester Tue 23-Sep-14 19:00:24

Thanks for all your contributions. Ariadne I would have used your suggestion if I hadn't already bought the Adnams one.

It is a pleasure Jane and I love GN too. Advice on whisky and heart murmurs next to each other! grin

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 15:32:30

Yes, gin for me too! And I've just made industrial quantities of damson gin.

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 15:24:59

Has anyone had experience of this one? (It's cheap and I'm broke!!!)

www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/old-ballantruan-the-peated-malt-whisky/

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 15:22:08

But somehow I don't think DBH will be getting a share for his birthday! grin

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 15:20:21

I do love gransnet. grin I should thank kittylester for having started the thread!

Ariadne Tue 23-Sep-14 09:29:13

Here it is anyway!

shop.glengoyne.com/personalised-whisky

Ariadne Tue 23-Sep-14 09:26:18

You can buy a bottle of single malt with a personalised label - just did for BiL's 70th. Will find the link if you are interested.

BTW - it's clear that you didn't just have to ask a grandad! smile

Icyalittle Tue 23-Sep-14 08:05:33

You can check the Adnams share price
here
Or this link has a toolkit for identifying what whisky someone who likes whisky would like www.malts.com/index.php/en_gb/Choosing-Whisky/Finding-the-Perfect-Gift
I see that you can create your own gin at Adnams - that is more in my line grin

Nelliemoser Sat 20-Sep-14 00:02:02

I cannot stand whisky either, even the smell puts me off.

geeljay Fri 19-Sep-14 23:52:51

Go the extra mile and get Drambuie. Lovely to have -just the onemind- to roll around the tongue. Failing that this ole granp likes not much more than Glenlivet over ice and a splash of water! Aaah simple pleasures!

janerowena Fri 19-Sep-14 20:13:41

jane, aren't Adnams family [or privately] owned?

I was reading something where the writer said that her husband had a share in it, that she had bought him, so they went to a lovely annual dinner. I was thinking that for the money (about £500 I think she said) I would get a pretty good return in nice dinners, if nothing else!

suebailey1 Fri 19-Sep-14 14:51:51

DH fancies himself a whisky connoisseur and favours the Bunnahabein (probably spelt that wrong).

kittylester Fri 19-Sep-14 13:55:48

jane, aren't Adnams family [or privately] owned?

kittylester Fri 19-Sep-14 13:54:44

knot not!! blush

janerowena Fri 19-Sep-14 11:18:44

I would love to buy DBH a share in Adnams for a Big Birthday present, but I have no idea how to go about it. He loves them too.

kittylester Fri 19-Sep-14 06:46:20

Thanks Nfk, I've looked at the Adnams and think I'll go for that one! I wish we had an Adnams Shop near us as I love them! Looking on the website, I discovered they have one in Aldeburgh - why did I knot know that? We try to go to Aldeburgh a couple of times a year! confused

NfkDumpling Thu 18-Sep-14 22:52:28

Adnams are breaching out into Whisky now. You could give him a selection of English whiskies.

janerowena Thu 18-Sep-14 19:30:18

Is this the one?

www.englishwhisky.co.uk/whisky-shop/whisky/scotch-whisky/42/arran-20002006-single-malt-scotch-whisky

janerowena Thu 18-Sep-14 19:27:53

Thank you, I am fast running out of ideas and was starting to wonder how I could persuade someone else to start up a new brewery on Islay! It's his birthday next month, too, so this is good timing.

Frannygranny Thu 18-Sep-14 16:33:01

jane yes, no problem in my opinion.

janerowena Thu 18-Sep-14 16:29:26

So, all those in the know about peaty stuff, will my OH be happy to swap his Islays for Isle of Arran, do you think?

Frannygranny Thu 18-Sep-14 15:38:21

kitty had another think and came up with another two. First is Isle of Arran, a peaty one but beautiful flavours and the other one is my favourite, Glengoyne. Distilled at the foot of the Campsie Hills just north of Glasgow, I think it uses water from the Trossachs where Glasgow's soft water comes from. There are so many to choose from I hope you find one he likes. Let us know.

jings Hic! Hic! blush

kittylester Thu 18-Sep-14 15:00:08

Yes rose DH enjoyed that but I want something a bit special as he has been (and still is being* a star with everything that has happened lately!

Granjura thank you for that! I didn't Google it because, last time I drove through, I thought it had closed. I've also spotted they have creme de peche I need for Bellinis grin