Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Whisky

(39 Posts)
kittylester Thu 18-Sep-14 11:13:42

For our wedding anniversary I usually buy DH a nice bottle of whisky and this year he has been particularly good grin so I thought he deserved something really special. The thing is, I can't stand the stuff, so I'm looking for suggestions from GN!

I have asked a grandad because DH is one too but suggestions from grand will also be welcome of course!

Frannygranny Thu 18-Sep-14 11:21:52

Does he like a peaty one or a softer tasting one? If it's a peaty one you can't beat a Laphroig from Islay or Talisker from Skye. The alternative could be Glenlivet or Glenfiddich both fron Speyside. You can buy various ages i.e. maturity, the older it is the more expensive as it's had to be stored longer. You should always add just a few drops of water as that releases flavours and aromas. Sorry if this sounds like preaching but I love my whisky.

janerowena Thu 18-Sep-14 11:29:11

DBH loves single very peaty Islay malts. You really have to know what sort of taste your OH likes, as I used to get it very wrong. Current favourite being neat essence of peat bog called Caol Ila.

His father is a real whisky lover, who doesn't like peaty, and he thinks the English whisky is excellent. It's not cheap, but it's something different.

whenim64 Thu 18-Sep-14 11:59:25

My son raves about Glenrothes Reserve since I gave him a bottle last year. Before that, it was Glenfiddich.

A special present my nephew really liked was a Talisker Tasting session at a nearby hotel, one of those occasion gifts you can buy through the voucher deals online. He said about 15 people sat together tasting the different whiskies and watched films and a guest speaker explaining the different tastes.

Agus Thu 18-Sep-14 12:02:39

DH suggested a couple for you Kitty. Bunnahabhain, pronounced Boonahaben, or another one, Macallan, possibly 30yr old.

Try every which way you can to find a clue as to any of his favourites.

granjura Thu 18-Sep-14 12:17:30

Talisker and Laphroig are also OH's favourite. Now I love a good malt from time to time- but the 2 above are too 'iodiny' for me and I much prefer a Glenlivet, Glenfiddich or Glenmorrangie.

kittylester Thu 18-Sep-14 13:44:47

Thank you all - his current one is a Jura and he had enjoyed the Japanese one and the Welsh one (names of both escape me). I think he enjoys Macallan too - no help at all. I used to go to a really fabulous shop in Ashby de la Zouch where they claimed to have over eighty varieties but I suspect it has disappeared! sad

grumppa Thu 18-Sep-14 13:50:54

Laphraoig Quarter Cask (stocked by Waitrose) is my desert island luxury of choice. Peatier and stronger than Caol Ila.

granjura Thu 18-Sep-14 13:57:29

Woman of little faith kitty- just Googled it, and it seems it is still going strong- so I'd go and ask them for advice. Tell us what you get and what he thinks about it. Bonne chance ;)

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 18-Sep-14 14:06:02

Cheers Frannygranny! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 18-Sep-14 14:06:20

Hic!

wink

janerowena Thu 18-Sep-14 14:17:58

Yes, grumppa, he does like that. It's my fall-back if I can't find him something different.

At the English Whisky Co. HO, which is not far from me, they have a lovely shop that sells whiskies from all over the place, including their own. I do a fair bit of Xmas shopping there, as they often have whiskies that are limited edition ones that can no longer be bought online. So if anyone comes over toe East Anglia on holiday, do pop in, they have a coffee shop and do tours as well. It's a lovely place to do your shopping - no crowds and easy parking! I can't remember what I bought him last year, it was so obscure. I thought it was foul.

rosequartz Thu 18-Sep-14 14:38:08

How about Welsh whisky for a change?

www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/

rosequartz Thu 18-Sep-14 14:39:11

I have no idea what it is like, though, as I don't touch the stuff! However, my friend always buys it for her male family members

kittylester Thu 18-Sep-14 15:00:08

Yes rose DH enjoyed that but I want something a bit special as he has been (and still is being* a star with everything that has happened lately!

Granjura thank you for that! I didn't Google it because, last time I drove through, I thought it had closed. I've also spotted they have creme de peche I need for Bellinis grin

Frannygranny Thu 18-Sep-14 15:38:21

kitty had another think and came up with another two. First is Isle of Arran, a peaty one but beautiful flavours and the other one is my favourite, Glengoyne. Distilled at the foot of the Campsie Hills just north of Glasgow, I think it uses water from the Trossachs where Glasgow's soft water comes from. There are so many to choose from I hope you find one he likes. Let us know.

jings Hic! Hic! blush

janerowena Thu 18-Sep-14 16:29:26

So, all those in the know about peaty stuff, will my OH be happy to swap his Islays for Isle of Arran, do you think?

Frannygranny Thu 18-Sep-14 16:33:01

jane yes, no problem in my opinion.

janerowena Thu 18-Sep-14 19:27:53

Thank you, I am fast running out of ideas and was starting to wonder how I could persuade someone else to start up a new brewery on Islay! It's his birthday next month, too, so this is good timing.

janerowena Thu 18-Sep-14 19:30:18

Is this the one?

www.englishwhisky.co.uk/whisky-shop/whisky/scotch-whisky/42/arran-20002006-single-malt-scotch-whisky

NfkDumpling Thu 18-Sep-14 22:52:28

Adnams are breaching out into Whisky now. You could give him a selection of English whiskies.

kittylester Fri 19-Sep-14 06:46:20

Thanks Nfk, I've looked at the Adnams and think I'll go for that one! I wish we had an Adnams Shop near us as I love them! Looking on the website, I discovered they have one in Aldeburgh - why did I knot know that? We try to go to Aldeburgh a couple of times a year! confused

janerowena Fri 19-Sep-14 11:18:44

I would love to buy DBH a share in Adnams for a Big Birthday present, but I have no idea how to go about it. He loves them too.

kittylester Fri 19-Sep-14 13:54:44

knot not!! blush

kittylester Fri 19-Sep-14 13:55:48

jane, aren't Adnams family [or privately] owned?