Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

eating poo

(110 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 21-Sep-14 22:17:31

Has any gran found their DGC eating poo. Is it normal will it do harm.

annodomini Mon 22-Sep-14 12:47:03

Have you ever seen a dog - even a puppy - eating its own excrement? I don't think I have. Other mammals? Probably not. Domestic cats usually bury theirs. It's unnatural.

Ana Mon 22-Sep-14 12:48:35

Dogs will eat their own sick, though...

annodomini Mon 22-Sep-14 13:32:13

The vomit contains what they've just eaten. Could still be attractive!

HollyDaze Mon 22-Sep-14 13:37:00

Have you ever seen a dog - even a puppy - eating its own excrement? I don't think I have. Other mammals? Probably not.

Three of the dogs I've had have all eaten poo - mainly cow poo but they seemed partial to horse poo as well. I did mention it to the vet when my youngest dog started doing it (and he's taken to eating his own as well about a year ago) and she didn't seem fussed by it all; she didn't give me a reason for him doing it either. It may be considered (by some) to be normal but I find it stomach-turning.

Elegran Mon 22-Sep-14 13:50:41

Rabbits eat their own poo to extract the last of the nutrients from it.

Mishap Mon 22-Sep-14 14:23:23

You are right elegran and they eat it directly from source via a neat dispenser! It used to make me feel ill when our rabbit did that.

We had a rabbit and a guinea pig who shared a cage - both male. The rabbit used to b****r the guinea pig all day long. Then when the rabbit died the poor guinea pig got dreadfully constipated and my OH (a doc) used to have to put his surgical gloves on and do a manual removal! So the rabbit had obviously been serving a useful function.

Explaining all this to the children and answering their questions was interesting! "Mummy - why is that rabbit doing that to the guinea pig - they are both boys?" - they were not concerned about them being different species!

Who started this thread!!??

Elegran Mon 22-Sep-14 14:30:14

And why are we all replying!

penguinpaperback Mon 22-Sep-14 14:32:37

Ah lovely,
I am reading this thread with my hands over my eyes. grin

penguinpaperback Mon 22-Sep-14 14:33:31

cupcake anyone? grin

rosequartz Mon 22-Sep-14 14:53:49

Is it chocolate cake, penguin?

penguinpaperback Mon 22-Sep-14 15:18:25

grin

yogagran Mon 22-Sep-14 15:19:44

At least horse poo, sheep poo etc is only yesterday's grass

rosequartz Mon 22-Sep-14 15:21:30

This is getting worse!

TriciaF Mon 22-Sep-14 15:53:40

grin!
I haven't admitted this to anyone(except DH and my friend) but a few weeks ago I ate some chicken poo - by mistake.
I had scraped out some leftover rice for them with a fork, dropped the fork on the ground. The handle was sticky so I licked it, thinking it was from the rice, but NO! It was chicken poo shock
I rinsed out my mouth and scrubbed my tongue, but 3 days later had bad diarrhoea. Luckily not with fever, the Doctor said not to worry.

rosequartz Mon 22-Sep-14 15:58:43

and worse .....

Penstemmon Mon 22-Sep-14 16:38:06

I have worked with under 5s for years and have never come across a child (or a worried parent of one) who ate poo! I know of babies and v young toddlers who have removed poo from nappies and made a terrible mess but as far as i recall none consumed any! I would check with HV/GP/Practice nurse if it became habitual confused

petallus Mon 22-Sep-14 16:44:38

My DD pooed in the bath and ate some according to my 1973 journal,

She is 44 years old now and perfectly healthy.

harrigran Mon 22-Sep-14 16:46:06

Utterly revolting shock I never saw such behaviour when I worked with children nor did my DC or GC ever do it. I tend to think that people who ingest unusual substances do so because they are lacking in certain elements of their diet.

HollyDaze Mon 22-Sep-14 17:25:43

lacking in certain elements of their diet.

That's the only reason I could think of when I decided to ask the vet - fat lot of good that did me!

Never mind chocolate cake, I don't think I'll ever be able to eat another Malteser after reading an earlier post sad grin

Starling Mon 22-Sep-14 17:58:43

Nelliemoser hmm I was assuming that the flavour was related to the smell. Things usually taste like they smell. eg I don't eat corn on the cob because I don't like the smell.

absent Mon 22-Sep-14 20:07:29

The answer to the OP is extremely simple - no, no and probably.

Iam64 Mon 22-Sep-14 20:08:16

No, it isn't ok for children to eat pooh. I find it hard to understand what the OP was about.

Dogs who eat their own pooh should be helped to stop the habit. I've had a few rescue/foster dogs who had the habit on arrival. Ensuring they never have the opportunity to practice the habit, feeding a decent diet, enough exercise and providing a calm, consistent environment sorted the dogs very quickly. Some people say put pineapple in their food, so they dog doesn't eat its pooh, others advise sprinkling chilli powder on a new pooh so the dog has a bad experience. I didn't do either of these things, hasten to add.

Elegran Mon 22-Sep-14 22:25:11

Poor old Pooh, his head bumped all the way down the stairs and then some dreadful child could be going to eat him. No, it isn't ok for children to eat Pooh.

Ana Mon 22-Sep-14 22:46:27

I'd actually never seen it spelled 'poo' before I joined this site. Always 'pooh' - never to be confused with the Bear of Very Little Brain, of course...wink

absent Tue 23-Sep-14 07:54:20

There is something slightly disturbing about grown-up women using the word poo or pooh.