Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

eating poo

(110 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 21-Sep-14 22:17:31

Has any gran found their DGC eating poo. Is it normal will it do harm.

HollyDaze Fri 26-Sep-14 10:36:16

I tend to use the word poo (as does my GP!) - to use the word 'shit' would have had my mother accusing me of committing the 'c' offences: common, crude and crass.

I don't think I've ever heard her use any descriptive word for it come to think of it hmm

rosequartz Fri 26-Sep-14 17:14:27

I think we are using the word 'poo' on this thread when we are referring to it in relation to toddlers. It is probably the word I used with my DC and now use with DGC, although now that the two older DGC are six I may use the term 'business' as my DM did with me, ie 'have you done your business yet?'

I would use the word poo with the two year old. It would seem odd to ask her if she had defecated, and as I was chatting on here about her pooing in her knickers I thought it was the appropriate term to use.

I don't mind if you call me Rose, Rosequartz or Rosie or whatever, ethel!! Just don't call me roses as people will be confused with rosesarered.

Ana Fri 26-Sep-14 17:17:59

Goodness, mine (8) wouldn't have a clue what I meant if I asked them if they'd done their business! They'd probably think I was talking about some sort of 'monkey-business'...grin

rosequartz Fri 26-Sep-14 17:22:08

I thought for years that everyone used that term - then realised that a lot of people say 'Number 2s'

I think 'poo' is quite a good descriptive word for little ones!

rosequartz Fri 26-Sep-14 17:23:00

I mean for little ones to use, not that poo is a good word to use when describing little children. You have to be so careful on here, no editing!

Ana Fri 26-Sep-14 17:36:19

grin

Anya Fri 26-Sep-14 17:37:06

Oddly enough I tend not to speak to other adults about that part of my bodily function nor do I enquire after theirs. So the only people I do need to question on this issue tend to be 4 and under.
Thus I use the word 'poo' too hmm

Ana Fri 26-Sep-14 17:42:05

I was thinking about that too - I don't either. I suppose if I were having a heart to heart with a friend about health problems I might refer to constipation or diarrhoea, but you tend not to need a grown-up word for 'poo'...

I suppose a doctor would ask about 'stools'.

janerowena Sat 27-Sep-14 11:50:22

I have a few nurse friends, faeces, excrement, excreta, poo and shit all figure large in conversations!

When we moved, DD aged 3 smeared poo all around her bed on the walls. I was really upset at the time, I thought she was going to turn into some weird person, but apparently it's a normal way for children and animals to mark out their territory with the only means at their disposal. Just goes to show how our instincts haven't been entirely bred out of us.

I have had several friends who have admitted to their young children eating poo. Their own and that of pets. I think it's just something that most people used to be too inhibited to mention.

I remember being scared to ask for a loo when visiting a friend's mother's house. She realised what I needed, and said 'Don't be embarrassed, we are all the same, even the Queen doesn't shit into plastic bags wearing gloves'!

In Kent there is an abundance of damsons and foxes. This results in large quantities of purple poo in gardens and lanes. My visiting nephew, on a country walk, once got to a pile of fox poo before we could retrieve it from his mouth. He was three and said it was lovely. hmm My sister, being a germaphobe who prefers town life, looked at me as if it was my fault.

etheltbags1 Sat 27-Sep-14 15:15:14

I don't mind anyone calling me ethel or maybe bags, just if you want to call me by my full name its etheltbags1, I used 'rose' as a shortened version for 'rosequartz' but I realised that 'rosesarered' is also a name to be confused with so in future I will use everyone's proper name.Some people were calling me ethelbags.

janerowena Sat 27-Sep-14 15:18:47

I have a horrible feeling that I may have done, I simply didn't notice the 't', I apologise if I did.

suzied Sat 27-Sep-14 17:38:58

I remember when I was about 7 in hospital having my tonsils out and a nurse asked me if I had" opened my bowels" I hadn't a clue what she meant so I said " I dunno" . She got quite cross with me.
Darwin would say that disgust with poo is universal since it means we avoid something that could harm our survival.

HollyDaze Sat 27-Sep-14 21:50:29

I have a horrible feeling that I may have done, I simply didn't notice the 't', I apologise if I did.

Me too - I hadn't noticed the 't' until now. Many apologies ethel

etheltbags1 Sun 28-Sep-14 12:02:11

Im ok with someone missing my 't ' out Holly and jarowena, lol. I just gave a reminder to some who often forget.

rosequartz Sun 28-Sep-14 13:44:18

I hate to miss my t, ethel. Get withdrawal symptoms. In fact a nice cuppa in a minute will just put me right grin

Ana Sun 28-Sep-14 14:07:26

Do you use leaf tea or teabags, rosequartz?

janerowena Sun 28-Sep-14 15:33:24

Not until 4pm here. Something inherited from my mother that I can't shake off. Leaf or teabags, either will do.

rosequartz Sun 28-Sep-14 15:35:19

Ana I use either; I always mean to use loose tea and have another very nice teapot which I bought recently, but more often than not it is a teabag in a mug blush

HollyDaze Sun 28-Sep-14 15:35:23

I use teabags even though a lecturer, upon her return from India, informed me that during a visit to a tea plant, she was told that there are nine grades of tea and tea bags are the tenth! Ah well - it's quicker and easier (and can't say I've noticed much difference).

rosequartz Sun 28-Sep-14 15:37:22

DM used to 'tchh'! and say that tea bags were made with the sweepings up from the floor! (I know they're not of course, before any tea companies write in protest.)

Ana Sun 28-Sep-14 15:38:03

No - although if you get a split one the 'tea' is more like powder!

janerowena Sun 28-Sep-14 15:54:24

DBH always says that they are the sweepings off the floor too, but he prefers it because he says that leaves are too strong. That's because he is stuck on English breakfast and won't try any others.

None of them remotely resemble poo. grin

rosequartz Sun 28-Sep-14 16:05:14

grin

Ana Sun 28-Sep-14 18:35:56

Someone on the Soop's Kitcheners thread has referred to this as a 'conversation about coprophilia'!!! shock

rosequartz Sun 28-Sep-14 19:40:58

Pardon? confused