Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do we cut our children out of our lives?

(27 Posts)
Kiora Sun 28-Sep-14 11:28:13

My adult children will come and talk to me if they have a problem. Somtimes they need help, somtimes they need advice, somtimes they just want to let off steam. I'm fairly good at interpreting what it is they want. If I'm having a bad time I never ever bother them. Reading lots of the posts on gransnet since I joined I gather this is normal. My question is aren't we 'cutting them out of our lives' to some degree? My other question is why do we do it? Surely allowing them to see us warts and all would make for a deeper relationship. (My relationship with friends is much closer with the ones that Iv shared both my and their troubles with) I do share a bit more with my daughter than my sons but even with her I am some what guarded. Perhaps I'm trying to be the perfect parent? Perhaps I'm protecting them? Maybe I'm frightened of loosing them? I'll be interested to know your views.

HollyDaze Wed 01-Oct-14 12:59:41

I do find though that DS and SiL are both very good at saying "Yes, but how are things really?" and actually wanting to know.

That's lovely Deedaa - they must be very intuitive and genuinely care for and about you smile