Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do you choose a thread?

(27 Posts)
Rosannie Fri 14-Nov-14 12:22:06

I was wondering how gransnetters navigate around the forums site, how do you choose where to go?
Do you have favourite places? I often come upon really interesting posts by chance long after they were active and find I've missed out!
I would love to hear about others 'log in' routines.

grannyactivist Fri 14-Nov-14 12:29:27

I go straight to Active and, depending on the amount of time available, read them from the most recent postings down. If I don't have much time I select ones I've followed or that look interesting.

Ana Fri 14-Nov-14 12:37:41

I do that as well, ga.

janeainsworth Fri 14-Nov-14 12:40:09

I go to 'I'm on' to see what else has be3en added.
Then when I've exhausted those possibilities I go to 'Active'.

Only when desperate do I go to Forums and click on a forum.

Lona Fri 14-Nov-14 12:40:48

Me too.

Rosannie Fri 14-Nov-14 12:55:28

I often go to Last day or Last hour to see what is happening but don't often post messages, I'm very erratic and don't have a regular time slot for visiting Gransnet but I like to check in every day if I can.

MiniMouse Fri 14-Nov-14 12:56:22

Oh, that's interesting! I never thought of doing it that way! I go to Forums, Last Day or Last Hour.

granjo39 Fri 14-Nov-14 13:26:25

Thanks I've learn't something today. I usually go to forums then work my way through the subjects. In future I will check on active first.

tanith Fri 14-Nov-14 13:47:56

I go straight to active too, then choose by how much a subject interests me , if I have plenty of time I scroll through the forums too.

kittylester Fri 14-Nov-14 14:20:09

I go to Active and then I'm on. Rarely go anywhere else unless I want to start a thread.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 14:28:14

Same as kittylester.

Elegran Fri 14-Nov-14 14:42:08

I start with "I'm on" then "Last hour" then I browse around.

FlicketyB Fri 14-Nov-14 14:42:12

I go to 'Last Day' two or three times a day, run down the list, read any that interest me, respond to some. Then I go to 'I'm on' and run down any I have contributed to see what else has been posted and contribute again if appropriate

nannyfran Fri 14-Nov-14 15:03:40

I go to Active and read the ones that look interesting. It depends a lot on the time available.

Starling Fri 14-Nov-14 15:05:33

Same as Elegran

Rosannie Fri 14-Nov-14 15:20:26

I love seeing all the familiar names of other gransnetters and I like the threads that pose a 'lively' debate. It's fascinating to see the range of personalities, preferences and styles of humour, the forums are great company and good entertainment!

petallus Fri 14-Nov-14 16:04:38

Sometimes, with new threads, I can guess who the OP is from the title.

Ana Fri 14-Nov-14 16:15:34

Yes, you can, can't you? grin

One in particular springs to mind!

numberplease Fri 14-Nov-14 16:23:14

I go to forums, then work my way down the threads, just reading the ones I`m usually interested in, a few I never bother with at all, and some only occasionally, and some I just can`t keep away from!

Agus Fri 14-Nov-14 16:55:38

I go to active and just take it from there but mostly it depends how much time I have.

Agree, sometimes I know who the poster is by the title. Definitely more than one!

janerowena Fri 14-Nov-14 16:57:16

Firstly to I'm on, especially if I've only got a few minutes then to Last hour, then to Active.

Nanabelle Fri 14-Nov-14 17:07:01

I usually just go to Active, but will now try and remember to look up Last Hour - but as I am often browsing late at night, there may not be much there!

ninathenana Fri 14-Nov-14 20:38:17

I have the 'active' page pinned to start on my smart phone. Then scroll and pick out what interests me.
I've never used any of the other options at the top.

janeainsworth Fri 14-Nov-14 20:50:05

The trouble with only looking at active is that threads can disappear quite quickly, especially if the spammers have been out in force.

Nina how do you pin active to your smartphone?
I have GN open in my browser, but annoyingly of late, GN keeps asking g me to log in, even though I have clicked the keep me logged in button confused

rosesarered Fri 14-Nov-14 21:08:48

I go to active like most others. Then find a title thread that sounds interesting; though sometimes they turn out to be not so interesting, and the ones that sound boring are better and have more responses.
I once started a thread about...... cheese on toast [don't laugh.]grinIt had loads of enthusiastic responses, so there are many melted cheese fans out there.After active threads, I may look for the book club, or tv or the food thread.