Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Removing a stain from a white radiator

(9 Posts)
railman Mon 17-Nov-14 13:42:36

This might sound like an odd question. But I was wondering if anyone could help.

My wife recently washed a coat of hers, which had a detachable collar - which she washed separately and placed on the top of a radiator to dry.

The collar dried, but some of the dye appears to have 'baked' on to the front face of the rad, and though I've tried scouring powder, and even white spirit - can't seem to shift it.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

pompa Mon 17-Nov-14 13:48:25

Railman, sunlight usually removes this type of stain over a few days.

BUT, that is somewhat impractical with a radiator, so try a little bleach on a hidden area, if it doesn't have any adverse effects try it on the stain.

Teetime Mon 17-Nov-14 13:56:39

I do find CIF cream shifts most things with several applications but if you have any Hob Brite that works too.

railman Mon 17-Nov-14 14:05:59

Thanks both - just discovered wife in bathroom armed with brillo pad - potential uproar ensuing !!

Well either that or a tin of white spray paint from Halfords!!

Charleygirl Mon 17-Nov-14 14:20:51

The latter may be the easiest-I can see the end of result of a brillo pad in my mind's eye- not a pleasant sight.

Nanabelle Mon 17-Nov-14 17:59:05

Have you tried a Magic Eraser? You have to use them very gently and carefully but they can do magic!

annsixty Mon 17-Nov-14 18:26:58

I have never used a Magic Eraser but have heard very good reports of them. I think there are at least two manufacturers.

Tegan Mon 17-Nov-14 18:34:42

I prefer Ronseal stay white radiator paint to using the spray enamel.

railman Mon 24-Nov-14 09:18:26

Thanks all.

Not heard of "Magic Eraser" - but I'll have a look around for it.