Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is a 16th birthday special?

(22 Posts)
petallus Wed 19-Nov-14 10:13:53

One of our GC is 16 next week. I am trying to remember if we regarded our older GCs' 16ths as special, with extra celebrations etc.

I know that 18th and 21st birthdays are significant these days.

Would appreciate opinions on 16th.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 19-Nov-14 10:15:50

No. Unless you want to impress on him that he's now free to leave home.

janerowena Wed 19-Nov-14 10:29:52

Or have sex with someone over the age of sixteen.

Anne58 Wed 19-Nov-14 10:40:24

In America they seem to make a big thing of girls' 16th birthdays, with the revolting sounding "sweet 16" parties!

Elegran Wed 19-Nov-14 10:48:09

Once upon a time, 21 was the magic birthday to celebrate. Then it crept back to 18. Now 16. How soon before just getting into double figures is enough?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 19-Nov-14 11:01:05

My younger grandson makes sure all of his birthdays are deemed "special"! grin

petallus Wed 19-Nov-14 11:14:20

We usually give the GC a sum of money (since they are always skint and parents don't have much spare).

I think we gave extra cash on the 16th birthdays of GC who are now 23 and 25.

janeainsworth Wed 19-Nov-14 11:38:15

Petallus I keep a file in Excel of all the gifts of money I have given to DCs and DGCs.
It's very useful sometimes wink

janeainsworth Wed 19-Nov-14 11:41:02

Janerowena I composed a cryptic message, referring to Philip Larkin and when sexual intercourse began, but deleted it, thinking that Petallus might be offended.
You obviously have no such scruples grin

annsixty Wed 19-Nov-14 12:22:07

My GD was 16 last week and wanted no special fuss, she didn't want any thing more than a meal with the family. However I noticed extended family did give her more than is usual so perhaps some people do regard it as more special than others. We upgraded her to an iPhone so at present we are very popular.

Marmight Wed 19-Nov-14 12:29:52

In my day it was the 21st which was celebrated, then it became the 18th and now it appears to be the 16th - when will it end? I am sure it will go down well in the commercial community wink

henetha Wed 19-Nov-14 12:54:03

My grandson (adopted and autistic) was 16 last month, and requested just to have a meal with all those he regards as family around him.
I thought this was lovely, and appropiate.

petallus Wed 19-Nov-14 13:49:29

janeainsworth no I wouldn't be offended because I know that none of my GC could possibly be getting up to anything.

I thought the same about my parents except for the twice which accounts for me and my brother! grin

petallus Wed 19-Nov-14 13:53:29

annsixty that was a good present, an iPhone.

GS is largeing it with a big party, joint with his girlfriend. It is to be held at her parents' rather roomy house. GC and girlfriend are going as the two main characters out of Grease.

Apart from that, it will be a family gathering at his father's house.

rubysong Thu 20-Nov-14 10:46:28

Didn't 16 year olds get a vote in the Scottish referendum? Maybe 16 is the new 18.
When my mother was a child (one of ten siblings), they had a cake and party for their seventh, fourteenth and twentyfirst birthdays. That meant they had one as a child, one as a teenager and one to mark adulthood. I thought that was rather a good idea. Children's parties get so competitive and expensive and there are so many of them.

janerowena Thu 20-Nov-14 10:58:14

janeinainsworth what on earth have I ever posted that made you think I had scruples? grin

I wrote it because that is exactly what my daughter did. I suppose I should have been pleased that she waited until then, nowadays. I looked at her the next day, after her party, and just KNEW. Much to her initial horror, but she said that she was so relieved to just get it out of the way!

janerowena Thu 20-Nov-14 11:03:17

And as at that time I had a six year old who was still waking in the night to go to the loo, I felt pretty much the same way!

janeainsworth Thu 20-Nov-14 11:49:31

Crikey! That would have been TMI for me janerowena grin

I think I'm with petallus on this one!

janerowena Fri 21-Nov-14 12:42:34

So was I, until then! It's a huge shock, I'd rather not have known.

rosesarered Fri 21-Nov-14 14:05:12

I never understand how people have 18th AND 21st special birthdays, it should be one or t'other.I suppose 16 is a bit of a milestone though [you can get married] apart from anything else.I don't think we did anything special for our children at that age though we did for their 18th [and not 21st.]

durhamjen Sat 22-Nov-14 00:10:09

Neil Sedaka?
Tonight's the night I've waited for....

TwiceAsNice Sat 22-Nov-14 19:49:05

I work with adolescents and they do seem to regard 16 as a bit of a milestone birthday. I left school at 16 and started work and remember feeling I was quite grown up then. With regards to having sex they seem to be in two camps half having sex before 16 and often not just with one boy either ( very sad) and the other half thinking them very stupid and deciding that they are not sleeping with anyone at all for ages thanks. Teenagers are very complicated and very individual.