Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Please talk to me about pans!

(37 Posts)
kittylester Wed 26-Nov-14 15:49:24

Over the years, I have had many pans, good ones, bad ones, expensive ones, cheap ones, heavy ones, non-stick, non non-stick, etc etc.

Having paid a fortune for a set of pans years ago and then spending my time trying to live with the darned things, I bought some bog standard Judge pans with which I have been very happy. They were relatively inexpensive with the benefit of being easily replaceable as and when needed.

The last lot are on their way out and I've been wondering whether to do a straight swap or not. I wouldn't buy a set again as the biggest one rarely gets used and I have other large pans I could use instead. I fancy some without long handles - would I regret that? I don't fancy Le Creuset (well I do but don't have a resident weight lifter!!) and I have various Le Creuset casserole type dishes including the huge one that is more likely to be in a DD's house than mine confused

Suggestions please! And don't mention it to Dh in case he thinks a set of pans is a good idea for a Christmas present!! grin

rosequartz Wed 26-Nov-14 20:39:30

I bought a set of Judge pans a while ago, I like them because you can strain veggies through the lid which has holes in the side bit, if you know what I mean. One of the knobs on a lid broke, but I took the lid back to the store where I bought them and they replaced it.

I gave my Meyer pans to DGS and they are still going strong after about 30 years; the set of Stellar pans I bought to replace them are in the attic because I don't like the lids - the handles are stainless steel and get hot. DD2 had them in her flat, they are there if she needs them again.

I have a very large, heavy French casserole pot which I can't lift when it has food in it and the oven rack groans when I put it in. It is great for catering for a crowd, but DH has to lift it in and out of the oven.

J52 Wed 26-Nov-14 20:42:26

HildaW try the Curculon one, if you see it in a sale. It has a stainless steel handle so frittatas etc can be put under the grill to cook the top. X

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 21:22:06

The very large one of the circulon ones is fine if you are going to be ladling the food out. No good for cooking the potatos on Sundays for a family meal. The shape of it means it is too heavy to tip up to strain the water away. I have to resort to my JL plain stainless one for that. (shallower)

Ana Wed 26-Nov-14 21:47:42

What's the point in paying so much for pans that are almost too heavy to lift, if they're just going to be used for everyday cooking such as boiling potatoes and veg?

I'd actually be interested to hear replies on this point. Why not buy cheaper ones and replace them as and when needed? confused

annodomini Wed 26-Nov-14 22:29:41

If I need to replace any pans, I go first to Dunelm and if they don't have what I need, I will then have a look at Lakeland. I have a first class non-stick frying pan from Lakeland which can also be put in the oven - great for a tarte tatin.

Deedaa Wed 26-Nov-14 22:31:40

I bought a set of Stellar stainless steel pans in their James Martin range. (75% off in a sale) They've been really good, still look like new and aren't too heavy. The handles are shaped to be easy to hold as well.

Tegan Wed 26-Nov-14 22:42:41

I bought my daughter a set of those when she got married. Was looking at them tonight and, yes, they are good as new. Mind you, worth seeing what offers are on on Black Friday wink.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 23:09:31

Ana, the pan I mentioned isn't exactly too heavy to lift. It's the shape of it. It's very good for long slow cooking of stews, curry etc. And my Xmas pud sat in it very nicely. (only got one steamer)

What else would you parboil potatos in for Sunday roast dinner? confused A small saucepan wouldn't do when the family come.

Who wants to bother with thin cheaps pans that stick easily and the lids don't fit very well? You need good quality to conduct the heat evenly.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 23:11:19

£60 isn't that much for a large saucepan that's going to last and cook well.

Ana Wed 26-Nov-14 23:13:00

Don't know how I've managed for all these years with my cheap and tacky ones...I parboil the potatoes for Sunday roasts in the biggest one and everyone loves my roasties! smile

hummingbird Wed 26-Nov-14 23:16:42

I've got a set of stainless steel, tri-ply pans by Le Crueset. They're a bit on the heavy side, I suppose, but they're the best pans I've ever had, really easy to clean and nothing sticks to them. I have seen some very nice tri-ply in TK Maxx at a very good price.

I had a set of prestige pans for a wedding present in 1974 (with a lifetime guarantee grin) which were great but started to look a bit tatty. I still have the pressure cooker my auntie Dot gave us for our wedding - and use it regularly!