Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

pressure cooking

(9 Posts)
tillyflop Sun 14-Dec-14 08:55:27

What can i use inside my pressure cooker in place of the trivet? Got a new cooker and the old trivet wont fit it and the new one has only a basket. Dont want to have to buy anything else just now, flat broke after pressie buying, lol. Isnt it great though buying for little ones, had so much fun.

vegasmags Sun 14-Dec-14 09:01:39

My newish pressure cooker didn't have a trivet, but came with a device that looks remarkably like a coat hanger, bent into a V shape, with small legs to keep it just clear of the metal base. Maybe try constructing something like this from an actual coat hanger - wire one, of course.

tillyflop Sun 14-Dec-14 09:07:21

Hi, thanks for that, will have a go if i can find a wire hanger, usually bin em in self defence! , Did you know they breed in the wardrobe if left in the dark? DH is ripping on old pan lid apart at the mo...what that is going to be ? Who knows..he's usually quite inventive though.

pompa Sun 14-Dec-14 09:55:28

Please don't use a wire hanger, many of these are zinc plated, not good to put in contact with food. Linda has a foldaway plastic trivet, they are available in most kitchen shops.

pompa Sun 14-Dec-14 10:00:41

It looks like this, but is another make.

www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-Silicone-Folding-Trivet/dp/B003NDYMHI/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1418551161&sr=1-4&keywords=silicon+trivet

Elegran Sun 14-Dec-14 10:21:21

Lay three stainless steel bits of cutlery in a triangle on the base of the cooker and rest the basket on them.

tillyflop Sun 14-Dec-14 11:07:17

Thank you Pompa and Elegran. Had a look at the store you mentioned, that particular one is to big. I put trivet in the search box and they have 936! I will have to refine that search a bit i think. Like the cutlery idea, that should work ok.
Thanks again for your help. The one DH was making is looking good. ...now filing all the sharp edges off. He's a treasure, lol.

J52 Sun 14-Dec-14 15:58:56

Pressure cookers scare me! Granny had one that hissed and spluttered! x

Soutra Sun 14-Dec-14 16:23:51

Elegran you are so resourceful!! smile