Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is this a good use of police time?

(51 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 31-Dec-14 16:07:15

Police are apparently examining complaints made about Katie Hopkins a 'TV personality' according to the BBC.

She tweeted something stupid about the Scottish nurse with Ebola.

Yesterday she was also reported to the police for a 'Hate Crime' against a fat person - I do hope that this is not being 'examined' tchshock

Hopkins

A massive waste of police resources IMO.

Brendawymms Wed 31-Dec-14 16:18:06

Very insensitive comment to make and rude but to dignify it with a police enquiry makes it worse.

Why was the nurses name released I want to know. Details should be as private for the nurse as for the tragic driver in Glasgow.

Mishap Wed 31-Dec-14 16:31:19

I agree - there are better things to spend their time (and our money!) on.

Mishap Wed 31-Dec-14 16:31:48

Who is Katie Hopkins?

Anya Wed 31-Dec-14 16:37:01

Some z-lister mishap

merlotgran Wed 31-Dec-14 16:51:06

The woman is a waste of space. Best ignored.

Elegran Wed 31-Dec-14 16:57:41

She hasn't heard the saying "You can say nothing and have everyone think you are stupid, or you can open your mouth and prove it", or perhaps she would rather people believe that she is stupid than that they don't think about her at all.

Riverwalk Wed 31-Dec-14 17:01:08

Why do people report her to the police?

I think they're as stupid as she is!

janerowena Wed 31-Dec-14 17:12:00

Here's another link, at the bottom is a selection of a few of her more controversial opinions.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12/30/katie-hopkins-on-ebola-nurse_n_6396688.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

They are so awful they have made me howl with laughter on occasion. I don't think she has a single of iota of compassion in her whole body, but she can be incredibly logical.

anniezzz09 Wed 31-Dec-14 17:16:52

Social media seems to bring out the worst in people, they say the most appalling things and seem blind to the fact that they are not at home or 'down the pub' but broadcasting to the world.

I feel sorry for the police having to take on policing absurd things like Twitter but it's the way our world is now. I also feel exasperated at the levels to which political correctness now applies. I suppose there's always some idiot who will push boundaries.

I also had no idea who Katie Hopkins was and having looked at the link, I am a bit shocked by what she said too.

POGS Wed 31-Dec-14 17:37:42

Totally a waste of police time and resources.

Katy Hopkins is crass in her comments but people who 'report' her have a screw loose too.

This a wider problem than this story though isn't it. There really does need to be a more common sense approach as to what our public services, such as the police, are to be used for. I would prefer to see the public purse being spent more wisely but services like the police force are in a situation where they will be damned if they do, damned if they don't. Can't win.

I just think the world is getting more childish by the day and twitter and Facebook have given fools and the emotionally stunted a platform.

anniezzz09 Wed 31-Dec-14 17:51:16

POGS I completely agree with your last sentence. I can't believe the way the media pay attention to these things either. Perfectly good programmes like Woman's Hour now expect you to be a member of Twitter so you can comment and they read out the utter nonsense that can be written in 140 characters. Just brainless, all of it.

vampirequeen Wed 31-Dec-14 18:00:23

She is a z lister who constantly has to maintain her celebrity status by saying something outrageous and offensive.

I think she is trying to be a female Jeremy Clarkson but fails to realise that the public Clarkson is a persona rather than his true personality.
He's a well educated man, an environmentalist (honestly lol) and a member of the RSPB.

His Top Gear persona is just that...a persona. A character he plays. He is the 14 year old boy trapped in a middle aged man's body. In the same way as May is a blithering idiot and Hammond is just a bit daft. They just beef it up for the cameras.

Love him or hate him at least Clarkson is sometimes amusing. This woman is just downright nasty.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 31-Dec-14 18:03:09

I think it's right the police should investigate. Free speech shouldn't mean the freedom to walk over other people's feelings. A lot of damage can be done on the likes of Twitter.

Agus Wed 31-Dec-14 18:04:42

Why oh why, does the media continue to publish anything this ridiculous rent a mouth has to say. She has upset so many people on so many ocassions.

I agree Brenda, the name of the nurse should not have been disclosed.

I don't think the police should be wasting any time on this. All they are doing is giving her more publicity and ridiculous spoutings like this on Twitter should simply be ignored as opposed to encouraging them.

Nonu Wed 31-Dec-14 18:18:30

TMM she should be stopped , what good is this potty mouth doing??
tchhmm

Ariadne Wed 31-Dec-14 18:22:28

CF Elegran's post above. Perfect.

soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 16:50:23

I am a bit puzzled and bemused and feel a bit hopeless how social media is to be handled by the police.

It is like the police trying to handle anything hateful said in the world ever.
Even across country borders.
Cant be done.

Jane10 Thu 01-Jan-15 16:56:46

Well her plan has worked. Katie Hopkins is a foolish attention seeker. She's got just what she wants. Bad publicity is better than no publicity for some. She makes her 'living' by being controversial. She's laughing all the way to the bank!

soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 16:58:35

Are twitter rules laxer than Facebook?

rosesarered Thu 01-Jan-15 17:10:57

The woman typed some crass, insulting and idiotic stuff. Police in Scotland have better things to do than 'investigate' it though. Jingl you say that 'free speech shouldn't mean the freedom to walk all over other people's feelings'..... yes, it does, as long as it's not actually libellous. However, any journalist who types this sort of poisonous stuff does deserve to be sacked, but that's just my wishful thinking.

soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 17:18:01

Tom Daley got death threats and gay hate stuff if I am remembering correctly. They were not libellous?

Riverwalk Thu 01-Jan-15 17:24:16

What's libelous about death threats and gay hate? confused

soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 17:27:11

Thats what I mean. It isnt is it?
I was responding to the post above mine.
You cant get away with posting anything so long as it is not libellous.

absent Thu 01-Jan-15 18:51:00

Death threats, issued by whatever medium, are usually taken seriously by the police as they may be anything but empty threats.