Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why does God ......

(83 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 01-Feb-15 19:16:44

.... allow children to become prostitutes?

This question was asked of Pope Francis during his recent visit to The Philippines - and I'm not sure if he answered.

I know the usual stock answer is that mankind is given free will, etc, but what about the children?

For those GN believers, of whatever faith, I'd genuinely like to know why if you believe in a compassionate god he would allow such a thing?

Ana Tue 03-Feb-15 19:43:35

How can anyone not believe in nature? confused

rosequartz Tue 03-Feb-15 19:45:59

It is, rather than it could be - if you believe

petallus Tue 03-Feb-15 20:20:00

Ana bags said Nature, not nature.

It occurred to me that this might be a concept held by some cultures but not all.

Obviously everyone can see trees, feel the wind, notice animals etc but these could be seen as separate things not united into a single force. We even refer to Mother Nature and usually think of it as benign.

Some people are said to worship Nature in fact.

Ana Tue 03-Feb-15 20:44:49

What I said applies to both nature and Nature, if there must be a distinction by dint of a capital letter. How can anyone not believe in either of them?

Ana Tue 03-Feb-15 20:48:49

In fact naturalism, the philosophy, isn't usually given a capital N.

feetlebaum Tue 03-Feb-15 21:04:34

I'm sure CEM Joad would have said "It all depends on what you mean by 'nature'".

Ana Tue 03-Feb-15 21:30:13

Yes indeed. I was assuming that human 'nature' was not the subject of discussion, but have become confused by petallus's posts.