Let's hear it for Manchester.

jo1book Wed 11-Feb-15 16:40:27

I am a Midlander but my daughter lives in Manchester and I think it it a fabulously vibrant city. The powerhouse of the North. The people are lovely; really warm and amusing. To be in Manchester is to be alive.

Retiredguy Thu 12-Feb-15 15:13:11

Canal Street area is brilliant for a night out.

Greyduster Thu 12-Feb-15 15:32:13

I've only been to Manchester once, which is surprising considering we are just the other side of the Pennines; had a day out with DD a couple of years ago. We loved it. Fantastic shopping, nice eating places and a lovely art gallery.

Greyduster Thu 12-Feb-15 15:34:21

Jo1book, don't let anyone from Leeds hear you calling it the powerhouse of the North - there'll be a riot!wink

vegasmags Thu 12-Feb-15 16:38:45

A big hit with sporty visitors is the National Football Museum - free of charge but you can buy tickets for the amazing virtual penalty shootout.

annodomini Thu 12-Feb-15 17:23:11

Take a 192 bus down the A6, and you can visit the Stockport Hat Museum which is far more interesting than it sounds!

Iam64 Thu 12-Feb-15 18:30:23

crun, look at one of the Manchester guide sites, there are so many places to visit and you can identify the one's that appeal to you. It is a great city smile

jo1book Thu 12-Feb-15 18:35:40

Greyduster. I really like all of the North because of the friendly people.

Greyduster Thu 12-Feb-15 18:56:07

Aye, lass! We do try!

annsixty Thu 12-Feb-15 20:14:21

For interested people The Whitworth Art Gallery opens on Saturday after two years and a £15 million restoration.The news reporters lucky enough to preview say it is superb and with a good restaurant for "Ladies who lunch".

Tegan Thu 12-Feb-15 20:21:28

Isn't there a lovely Van Gogh painting of a tree with white blossom there?

Tegan Thu 12-Feb-15 20:37:13

Well, blow me; questioning my own sanity [not for the first time]. Have a memory of being in Manchester and standing in front of a Van Gogh painting of a tree; looking through all the paintings he ever did it doesn't seem to exist confused. I can even picture it hmm.

grannyactivist Thu 12-Feb-15 21:26:58

Tegan - type 'Van Gogh peach tree in blossom' into a google image search and spot 'your' picture. smile

Tegan Thu 12-Feb-15 21:48:03

It's in Amsterdam though. Mind you, I'm talking of 40 + years ago; perhaps it was on loan at the time [?].

annodomini Thu 12-Feb-15 22:07:42

I got a print of that at the Van Gough Museum in Amsterdam. I fell in love with it too, Tegan. Loved that museum too.

Greyduster Fri 13-Feb-15 16:30:36

They have a fine collection of pre-Raphaelite paintings in Manchester City Art Gallery, which is why DD wanted to go (apart from the shopping!). I liked the early 19th century galleries, and the contemporary craft and design collection. A good place to spend an afternoon.

Nelliemoser Fri 13-Feb-15 17:12:56

Greyduster I like the pre-raphelites as well. I am planning myself a trip there and to the Whitworth Gallery when the weather picks up.

Nelliemoser Fri 13-Feb-15 17:16:30

I like this one as well, but when I last went to the Manchester Art gallery it was not on show as it had been loaned elsewhere. I was very annoyed.

www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/summer-in-cumberland-204899

goose1964 Fri 13-Feb-15 17:22:08

I've only once been to Manchester - a stop onthey way home from a school trip_ got lost & ended up in Sale!! No2 son is getting married up there in the summers o hope to give it a proper go this time

Soutra Fri 13-Feb-15 17:41:04

The "new" refurbed Whitworth should "vaut le voyage" as the Michelin Guide used to say. It sounds amazing!

Mancunianma Tue 07-Apr-15 13:14:16

Born and bred in Manchester! Met my late husband there in 1966 who was working in Manchester from London. He eventually persuaded me to move to London and I've lived here now since 1967!! But....I still feel like a Lancashire Lass and haven't lost my accent completely! I'm always trying to tell my Grandsons there is no 'r' in bath, grass, path etc! :-)