Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Zip it, grandma

(45 Posts)
jo1book Thu 12-Feb-15 22:47:08

I have this overwhelming urge to put people right. I listen to conversations, all over the place, and am desperate to jump in and add my pennyworth (more like a quids worth being a garrulous old bag). Should I get a life; get therapy or duct tape? Suggestions most welcome.

Falconbird Sat 14-Feb-15 10:33:04

I think people in general are getting less concerned about privacy. I had a long conversation on my mobile phone with my GP. I was standing against a wall in a busy street and anyone could hear what I was talking about.

Butting in - yes I do it! I usually begin with "sorry to but in but I couldn't help overhearing what you were saying." People don't seem to mind.

As far as being a Gran is concerned I always keep it tightly ZIPPED. smile

Eloethan Sat 14-Feb-15 00:50:26

granjura I think that is absolutely disgusting and I imagine that the people involved could have lost their jobs discussing such matters in public.

grumppa Fri 13-Feb-15 21:55:08

Sometimes the urge to intervene is irresistible.

Back in the Seventies crossed telephone lines were endemic in London. I picked up the phone in my office once, dialled a number and found myself listening to a conversation between a man and a woman who were working themselves up to meeting. It was all terribly Brief Encounter.

Eventually they agreed to meet in Windsor, and he asked how to get there by train. She seemed uncertain, so I said:- "there are direct trains from Waterloo to Windsor Riverside, but it is quicker to catch a train from Paddington to Slough and change there for Windsor Central."

There was a long silence, then she said "Did you say that?" He said "No." She said "Well, whoever you are, thank you anyway."

I like to think I brought two lovers together, but alas I cannot know, UNLESS one or both of the couple are now Gransnetters like me. If so, I do hope it worked out for you.

Penstemmon Fri 13-Feb-15 21:11:06

Yes I think they could depending on the parent's response to being seen!

Ana Fri 13-Feb-15 21:00:30

I agree, granjura, it doesn't make sense.

granjura Fri 13-Feb-15 20:57:52

yes, but a child of 5 would not be able to put '2 and 2' togehter, and realise it could be used as 'blackmail' with granma, would they? Totally weird.

Penstemmon Fri 13-Feb-15 20:53:05

It isentirely possible for a child to see parents at an'intimate' moment, read the parents embarrassment and knew they could use it!

alex57currie Fri 13-Feb-15 20:01:51

granjura the child was about 5yrs. old.

granjura Fri 13-Feb-15 18:39:40

How old was the child? It truly seems bizarre for a young child to say that- or was it a teenager???

alex57currie Fri 13-Feb-15 18:08:37

Jane10 sorry if I came across a bit confrontational. I know we can only take each other at face value on forums. It was a Saturday afternoon, and I've never forgotten how I personally felt. Its only the second time in nearly 40yrs. that I've retold it. Its really embarrasing. grin

granjura Fri 13-Feb-15 18:03:57

In a pub in Cobham (Surrey) recently, there was a group of solicitors, women, some young some 'middle-aged' and an older man (Senior partner) having lunch at the table next to us. They began to gossip about other colleagues, for their firm and from others, and about 2 Judges- then started mentioning client cases, stating the names of the clients and making derogatory comments. We could not believe our ears.

As it happens, we don't live locally, so none of the names meant anything to us- but they could not know that. I do regret not getting up and going over and having a definite 'quiet word' in the ear, and ask the name of their firm so I could avoid it if ever. So incredibly unprofessional. They said hello to us as they came in, so were fully aware of our presence.

Jane10 Fri 13-Feb-15 17:58:13

alex maybe your experience launched all the many and various versions I've heard of this over the years. Otherwise its an astounding 'coincidence'
hmm

Ana Fri 13-Feb-15 16:58:51

(That anecdote or one very similar has done the rounds for several years, although usually it's the woman who grabs the child and rushes out, leaving her trolley behind at the end...)

Ana Fri 13-Feb-15 16:39:58

And you actually put down your shopping and left?

alex57currie Fri 13-Feb-15 16:37:46

Jane10 sorry to disappoint your urban myth alert, never heard that one before, but this actualy happened to me, so go figure. Ok I wasnt a grandma. It was before my children were born, and Tescos had just opened across from Nicholson street back late 70'S, early 80's. It really did happen as I told it.!!!!

besottedgran Fri 13-Feb-15 16:07:19

alex57currie oops --he he !!

Anya Fri 13-Feb-15 15:45:13

Very apt title to this thread Ana

Ana Fri 13-Feb-15 15:27:32

Never heard it called a 'mmmph' before...confused

Jane10 Fri 13-Feb-15 15:18:40

alex urban myth alert! I've heard that one several times over the years!

gma Fri 13-Feb-15 14:34:05

My DH had a late appointment in the outpatients at local hospital. Eventually I was the only person sitting in the waiting area, apart from a receptionist and 2 auxiliary nurses waiting to clear up after DH minor surgery. I was reading and they were talking, quite loudly, about a member of their team who was not pulling her weight. The conversation became quite bitchy and I was able to hear it all clearly. At last DH appeared and we prepared to leave. I did mention as I passed them that it was my sister that they were talking about!! Well it wasn't - I haven't actually got a sister, but it so,easily could have been!!! they looked very sheepish! Most unprofessional.

FarNorth Fri 13-Feb-15 14:17:24

Could be something she's heard from other kids and may not even know what it means - who knows.

GillT57 Fri 13-Feb-15 13:59:41

Gosh what a vile little girl.

FarNorth Fri 13-Feb-15 13:45:08

I'd have waited, stunned, to find out what happened next. shock

jo1book Fri 13-Feb-15 13:37:04

My God, what is the world coming to. Call me old fashioned but it seems children are being made sex aware from an early age. Have seen 8 year old girls with throngs poking above trousers, sleazy bra-tops and "putting it out".Like you, I would have been deeply shocked and, for once, speechless.

rockgran Fri 13-Feb-15 13:29:53

Ha Ha Ha ha Ha!!!!! grin