Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Caesarian Sections.

(43 Posts)
Falconbird Thu 26-Feb-15 08:03:55

I think I've spelled that incorrectly - but I've been wondering why C sections are used so much nowadays.

I had three babies during the 70s and C sections were very rare and although I knew a lot of mums during these years I never met anyone who had been given a C Section.

Now you hear about them all the time?

Any Grans know why this is happening?

absent Fri 27-Feb-15 01:49:55

Absentdaughter is expecting her sixth child in April and is determined to try for a vaginal birth but her obstetrician is very unwilling because she has had emergency C-sections in the past. (Her first child was a vaginal delivery but the others have all been C-sections, one of them terrifyingly premature.) There is a lot of pressure on her to agree to an elective Caesarean and heavy disapproval of her decision to wait and see.

Falconbird Fri 27-Feb-15 07:35:43

I was wondering if the fact that mums are older nowadays had anything to do with the trend for C Sections.

I was 30 when my third baby was born (quite young by today's standards) and I did find the labour much harder when really as it was baby 3 it should have been easier. All 3 babies were thankfully normal deliveries but the sheer effort of pushing out baby 3 made me decide that there wouldn't be any more children.

Respect to the midwives of old who coped with complicated deliveries often single handed i.e. the breech birth mentioned by pink princess and my aunt's midwife who safely delivered my cousin who was presenting the wrong way up. It was a home delivery and the midwife was on her own!!!

My DIL's first baby was delivered by C Section and with the second the midwifes helped her have a normal delivery. It was a huge struggle but successful. My DIL said that she felt much better after the normal delivery because after the C Section she felt as if her body was in two halves and not properly attached.

granjura Fri 27-Feb-15 10:33:50

pinkprincess- I was very lucky to have an emergency C-section with an epidural in 1973 (after very long labour and not dilating due to transversal breech). The Consultant in charge (wonder how many gave birth at the South Staffs, and remember the jokes about being in the Club or under Mr Club)- called the Consultant anesthetists who had just done a course on epidurals, and he came over immediately to assist and do his first one. It was most surreal, chatting to all during the Caesar, as most of the assitants and staff were friends- as my OH worked there.

pinkprincess Sat 28-Feb-15 16:27:26

Thankyou Granjura

I can remember when I got to the theatre for DS2 doctor told me that the ''bikini'' cut was being used now , but because I had the long cut the last time he would have to use that one again.
At the time I was neither bothered or cared!.

Tegan Sat 28-Feb-15 16:30:58

I can remember having two young doctors reading an instruction manual when they fitted something to my babies head prior to her being born [I'd had an epidural]. It was all very surreal. I told them to hurry up cause I needed to vote [it was election day] and they laughed and said the polling boothes were about to close.

Nelliemoser Sat 28-Feb-15 17:03:45

I had a C section after a trial of labour and an elective C section with no 2. This was 1977

With no 1 DS's head had not engaged when it should. I saw the consultant and had an xray and a scan. The following day after this Xray, a Saturday, I had a letter telling me to go into hospital ASAP if I went into labour.

This happened early next day, a Sunday the day before I was due to see the consultant. The locum explained that my pelvis was not an ideal shape and rather flat at the back which might not give enough room for the baby to easily get through.
They gave me a trial anyway as I was in labour but in the end there was no progress and they did a C section at about 10pm.

I suspect that if I had seen the consultant the following day, there would have been an elective C section.

DS was 7lb 12 oz so he was not a small baby. (By comparison my DGS was 6lb 11oz and that is a heck of a proportional difference.)

There was no doubt that I would need an elective C section for any more. I had an epidural for DS but the anaesthetic made my BP drop dramatically. Just as she was pulled out, I heard the staff say it's a girl and a cry and that was all until I was back on the ward. The aneasthetist just had to take over to keep me alive.

I sort of feel "missed" the birth of both of them really, but in earlier times DS and I would have been in real trouble.
We should be glad it is such a relatively safe option these days.

gma Sat 28-Feb-15 17:32:35

I was 23 in 1969 when I had my first baby by C section. I was prepared for normal delivery but my daughter was always in a breech position. My consultant tried, several times to manipulate her into the correct position, but, as soon as I stood up she would flip back to her breech position!! He then told me not to worry as there was room for a bus to be delivered! No scans then except in dire emergencies. Nothing was said to me about the dangers of a breech delivery , and being a naive first time mum I carried on regardless! I went into labour and when the pains were 2 minutes apart went to hospital. Nothing further happened for 48 hours!! Suddenly it was all systems go and My daughter was born weighing 9.1oz and very long length . Apparently she had been very distressed and so was I !! 2 weeks in hospital and 6 weeks to recover. 2nd baby 2 years later. Perfect pregnancy, 3 hour labour, son weighing in at 8.10oz, no stitches and my comment to nurse was "is that all there is to it" greeted by stunned silence!! Home next day, perfect!

Soutra Sat 28-Feb-15 17:38:03

My experience was almost identical to yours except I did not get my x Ray until after my disastrous unsuccessful labour. Actually I don't feel I missed anything , but as my experience was so negative, I felt very anxious when I first saw DD clearly in more than a little discomfort going off to hospital to have DGS a 2.

granjura Sat 28-Feb-15 17:48:39

I never ever even considered I could possibly need a C section- I was not anxious about the birth- the Consultant said all was fine and i was as fit as a fiddle- it is the midwife who noticed baby was breech about 3 hrs into labour- some red faces around, I can tell you. But yes, I was so so lucky I was able to have the c section under epidural, as I just did NOT want to miss the birth. Rare in 73, so feel very lucky about that.

Juliette Sat 28-Feb-15 23:17:00

Mr. Clubb was my Consultant too granjura DS2 born in 1974, though in the north of the County. Small world!

Purpledaffodil Sun 01-Mar-15 09:09:57

DD was a footling breech, feet have a different birthday to the rest of her! She was a normal delivery with forceps used as a kind of crash helmet to protect her head when the rest of her was delivered. BUT she was my third and the other two were 9lb + boys so I was assured there was room to drive a bus in there blush

granjura Sun 01-Mar-15 10:27:05

ahaha Juliette, I knew there would be at least one;). He was quite flamboyant and had a big flashy sports car-( a Jensen) but very pleasant bedside manner. He was rather embarrassed and the midwife discovered baby was transversal breech- a couple of hours he'd induced me and told us it would be 'like a letter in the post' (not!).

Deedaa Sun 01-Mar-15 20:16:00

DiL had a c section because she has glaucoma and they were worrying about raising her blood pressure. DD's best friend had a planned one which turned into a full blown emergency (think Amanda Holden and LOTS of blood) she and the baby were lucky to survive, but she went on to have another with no problems.

DH was a breech birth in 1948. He was born at home and the midwife (I'm not even sure she was a proper one) propped the foot of the bed up on encyclopedias to slow him down. She never had another baby so I think she had been left with problems "Down There" but of course that sort of thing was never talked about.

loopylou Sun 01-Mar-15 20:22:05

I was an extended breech, born with my feet up by my ears, nearly killed my poor mum....
I've never been able to touch my toes and as a child I couldn't stand clothes being pulled over my head, am also very claustrophobic and sometimes wonder if it is all connected?

granjura Mon 02-Mar-15 11:23:08

Our DD1 was like that, born with her feet around her head, and a very long baby on the 90th %entile. For nearly 2 weeks, as soon as she was out of blankets for changing, her little legs would come up and lodge on either side of her head- bless. Made changing her very easy- bless.

loopylou Mon 02-Mar-15 12:25:59

That's just what my mum said granjura!
I'm wondering if my less-flexible right hip has anything to do with it or whether it's just because I've always been unbendy hmm even as a child?
I couldn't do somersaults or anything gymnastic.

Deedaa Mon 02-Mar-15 22:06:19

Join the club loopylou ! My mother (who did a lot of ballet) used to be appalled by my stiffness when I was a child smile I've never been able to touch my toes or bend much at all. Annoyingly DD was a very good gymnast and represented the county. I was a completely normal birth so can only blame it on total lack of ability.