Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Oil mark on fabric - help.

(37 Posts)
Coolgran65 Mon 09-Mar-15 17:20:03

I spilled Argon Oil onto my jeans... the one pair that fit properly !! There is a mark about 4" x 2".
I've rubbed in Fairy detergent.
Also made a paste of Vanish Stain Remover and rubbed in the paste and washed on a 60 degree wash.
The oil mark is still there.

Has anyone had success in removing an oily mark?

granjura Wed 11-Mar-15 14:39:01

Again, try Fuller's earth on the carpet- it works perfectly.

Marmight Wed 11-Mar-15 20:26:55

Thanks! Off on a mission to see if they stock Fuller's in Oz!

shysal Wed 11-Mar-15 21:31:42

I have always successfully used lighter fluid on oily marks. Rub it on the stain, then wash as normal. I haven't tried it on carpet though.

Ana Wed 11-Mar-15 21:44:48

If the jeans are denim or dark-coloured, after using all the advised products to remove the oil stain I'd have thought you'd be left with a pale patch anyway, coolgran. sad

Purpledaffodil Wed 11-Mar-15 22:22:35

Thanks for the tip granjura. I managed to sprinkle olive oil on a new white blouse. Have sprayed with Vanish, but will try Fullers Earth before washing it.

crun Thu 12-Mar-15 11:59:53

Swarfega.

I've used it to get grease out of pretty much anything, including black grease marks from white cotton T shirts. I even removed tar from a white T shirt once. Smear the stain with a generous dollop, then hold it between your thumb and index finger, massaging it with your thumbnail. It takes quite a bit of patience though.

Coolgran65 Wed 29-Apr-15 19:09:21

Just to update - Stain Devils for removing 'cooking oil and fat' was successful in removing the oil mark on my jeans.
It took two efforts but all traces are now gone.

Didn't try the Fuller's Earth or Swarfega because I came across the Stain Devils first, in Home Bargains.

Thank you everyone.

loopylou Wed 29-Apr-15 20:46:31

grin
The whole SD range is brilliant.

SeattleFoodie Fri 04-Dec-15 13:56:32

I have been using Argan oil for a long time, and the pure stuff from essenceofargan.com/ so a few drops have stained a couple different pairs of pants. I found that coconut oil massaged into a pair of slacks will get the Argan oil out for good. I was really worried for a few days before I read about the coconut oil trick online.

caocao Fri 04-Dec-15 14:04:53

I have had good results with Janie Dry Stick Spot Remover. Sometimes you need to reapply and rub off a couple of times.

granjura Fri 04-Dec-15 15:17:28

Glad to hear it worked hurrah.

The great thing with Fuller's Earth (called Terre Somière in French /with or without 's' can't remember) is that there is no danger of colour coming out of fabric- and often you don't even need to wash the item- just brush the Fuller's Earth off with dry brush.