Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dentures!!

(34 Posts)
Qrooq Tue 24-Mar-15 16:46:17

Hi everyone I had an infection on my front tooth and had to have it taken out -- I did not think of the consequences of not having a front tooth as I was very busy dealing with the pressure pain.

I now have been fitted with a denture/false tooth which is fine and not the end of the world, however I simply can not eat with it, I feel I am unable to chew my food properly and I actually cried yesterday.

Please tell me it get better

Coolgran65 Wed 01-Apr-15 15:49:10

Phoenix...... Yes, you are right.. chrome

Parcs Thu 02-Apr-15 09:20:27

There are many options when you loose a tooth, it does not have to mean dentures!

TriciaF Thu 02-Apr-15 10:33:53

Coolgran - I had the same thing happen recently. Saw the dentist on Tuesday and he said a crown would be best. Porcelain 500€, metal 200€, so I chose metal because it's a back tooth and won't show.
We get about half refunded, so in pounds that's about £73.

Coolgran65 Thu 02-Apr-15 14:56:47

TriciaF. ... mine is at the upper side and will be seen.
Unfortunately dentist was off yesterday and the practice is now closed for Easter. My appointment is for next Wednesday. Luckily there is no pain.

I feel like I'm just trying to hold back the tide.

loopylou Thu 02-Apr-15 15:16:46

I commiserate Coolgran, having had 8 teeth out in past 6 months or so, I think the tide's overtaken me! I'm pretty resigned to dentures of one sort or another, at least I won't get toothache/abscesses/infections hopefully for a very long time. Mine started when locum dentist bungled big time - no chance of redress because he's left the UK!
tbugrin

Parcs Thu 02-Apr-15 17:17:16

loopylou , why did you need to have so many teeth out in a short space of time, was it due to infection.

loopylou Thu 02-Apr-15 18:31:26

Yes
A crown fell out so locum dentist tried to replace it using wrong type of 'glue' that set before he'd correctly positioned the crown so he had to try to get crown off again. In doing so he broke off the small amount of my tooth holding the crown and it went rapidly downhill from there. I saw a different dentist at same practice who had to drill tooth stump out but the infection spread along my upper jaw.
The lower jaw became misaligned, I broke off a tooth and got another infection despite antibiotics and history repeated itself sadly.
Dentist number one left the country and here I am!
I think it was MRSA but no swabs taken.
I'm fine now, just waiting for 2nd denture in a couple of months.

Parcs Fri 17-Apr-15 16:34:42

If it is a back tooth phoenix it might not be necessary to have a denture.