Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What Makes You Happy

(34 Posts)
Parcs Wed 08-Apr-15 18:42:41

I am so interested in this subject and even thought of writing a book about the subject.

I know that it is a personal thing and what makes me happy may not make you happy, but it would be interesting to find out what does make people happy, not just smile, but true, deep down Happy.

Stansgran Mon 13-Apr-15 21:26:03

Finishing a quilt. The smell of the lilac coming into the house. Opening a packet of Fry's Turkish delight.DH being silly.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 14:23:23

My DD cooking me a nice dinner, as she will later today. She uses actual recipes! From the 'puter! shock

ohdear Mon 13-Apr-15 14:06:02

Apart from everyday things family, friends and a good day out I really REALLY love getting a new book. A book that I have been waiting for, one from a series I follow and with characters I know. I love that new book smell and I love the anticipation of bringing it home from the shop. I know its easier to get it delivered and I know kindle is less wasteful, but oh I really love a new book! Books make me happy.

pompa Sat 11-Apr-15 13:22:56

Watching grass grow - yes really. My newly re-seeded lawn has just started to get the green haze of new grass seedlings over it.

dlgcrclggran Sat 11-Apr-15 13:10:25

I love spending time with my grandchildren
We played ten pin bowls the other day and I won one of the games
Not bad for an eighty year old

TwiceAsNice Fri 10-Apr-15 00:02:28

Being with my daughters and grandchildren. Having a day out with my best friend. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Singing in the car to favourite songs on a CD. A new book, a glass of wine, and some chocolate. Watching a favourite TV programme. Summer and buying new sandals. Laughing at some of the posts on Gransnet tonight, the song lyrics were brilliant. Being alive I couldn't do any of these things if I wasn't!

Parcs Thu 09-Apr-15 18:11:28

How nice to read all the things that make you happy, It gave me Goosebumps, so lovely[flower]

Maggiemaybe Thu 09-Apr-15 17:08:10

My family, get-togethers with the people I love, baby news/a new baby being born, being by the sea, watching something wonderful on TV with DH and a glass of wine to hand, waking up to perfect English Spring weather as it has been here today, Christmas Day, putting my head on the pillow knowing I don’t have to get up for work in the morning.

jo1book Thu 09-Apr-15 16:50:10

Sorry Stanley Holloway. I'd rather be drownded than done (Runcorn Ferry)

jo1book Thu 09-Apr-15 16:43:03

Getting a bargain. "I'd rather be drowned than done"

KatyK Thu 09-Apr-15 14:57:55

Being with my family, sunshine, being by the sea, nice food and wine.

henetha Thu 09-Apr-15 10:28:41

Where I live makes me happy. I always wanted to be surrounded by trees and fields and I finally achieved it five years ago.

Teetime Thu 09-Apr-15 09:14:45

A day at home pottering in the garden, cooking something nice for dinner, glass f wine, early night.

pompa Thu 09-Apr-15 09:10:40

A warm pussy compost heap, just tuning mine, lovely smell of humus, and thoughts of what it will produce.

TerriBull Thu 09-Apr-15 08:27:42

Good weather, beautiful scenery and walks, visiting somewhere new, going away with my husband, a good book. strong coffee in the morning.

Neeny Wed 08-Apr-15 23:34:41

Leaving work for a few days off having cleared everything.

Spending time with family.

Going to church.

Listening to my GKs play.

A new handbag.

Sitting in an armchair·······Just remembering.

Xx

Galen Wed 08-Apr-15 22:56:17

Been to Falmouth, Redruth, and other places in the duchy many times. Bought both my boats in Cornwall. Took my sailing qualifications in the Yealm.
It's only since DH died I've stopped sailing.
I sold the boat and started cruising, which I enjoy. But it's not the same as being at the helm of a boat.

janerowena Wed 08-Apr-15 22:36:22

Take your next cruise to Cornwall, galen! I used to eat them at Rick Stein's before he got famous. And buy them at the fish market. I really miss Cornwall, and have to admit that it's largely because of the seafood.

Galen Wed 08-Apr-15 22:35:12

Having been down our local marina for lunch today with a a judicial friend, we were looking at her new 44' yacht that they're sailing to the med for 6/12.
I suddenly realised how much I missed the one sold when my husband died!
Ous wasn't anything like that one but I really want to be at sea on a yacht again.

Grannyknot Wed 08-Apr-15 22:32:33

Mountains make me happy. The ocean makes me happy. Memories of mountain hikes and swimming in rivers makes me happy. Other memories too, including recent ones.

Galen Wed 08-Apr-15 22:30:44

Lobster and really fresh just opened oysters. Not had them for years!sad

janerowena Wed 08-Apr-15 22:03:49

And eating lobster. Mustn't forget that one. Drinking champagne at the same time - even better.

janerowena Wed 08-Apr-15 21:58:15

Walking along a sandy beach in a swimming costume with bare feet in the late afternoon sunshine, looking for white stones and shells, little warm waves lapping at my toes.

Sitting in my arbour seat at the end of a day of working in the garden, watching the sun go down, with a glass of wine.

Watching a silly film with DBH, laughing together.

Getting a phone call from the DCs 'just because', although we all communicate most days on facebook messaging.

Evenings spent with groups of friends, book club and knitting club in particular, when we are all relaxed.

crun Wed 08-Apr-15 21:38:30

Smail argues that the people who are truly happy are the ones who are totally absorbed in something they enjoy and have what they do valued by others.

I used to wonder why I was happy at work sometimes and not others even though I was doing the same job, and that's the answer.

loopylou Wed 08-Apr-15 19:52:51

Seeing my 20 months old DGS on FaceTime-he's got chickenpox at moment. He insists on giving Nonna a kiss via the laptop ......completely melts my heart, seeing him, DS and DDIL together.

Spending time pootling around the garden in the sunshine, growing things from seed.

Counting my blessings and enjoying my family