Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much do you pay for Window Cleaning?

(89 Posts)
Retiredguy Fri 10-Apr-15 12:07:55

How much do you pay your window cleaner and for how many windows?
Up to retiring last year and moving we paid £11 once a month in Leicestershire for a four bedroom detached with conservatory.
Been quoted £20 here in Lincolnshire for a smaller ( 3 bedroom detached) house but bigger conservatory.

Retiredguy Fri 10-Apr-15 22:08:18

Thanks for all the replies.
Quite a range of prices for sure.

jonnyald Mon 31-Aug-15 08:48:53

i charge £1 per window whether its outside or inside and this rate seems to have remained stagnant in my area [Colchester/ipswich ] for about 20yrs! . im on ladders the squeegee and mop but i dont know how much the lads with a water pole charge

Jane10 Mon 31-Aug-15 08:50:14

Erm is this an advert?

Nelliemoser Mon 31-Aug-15 09:42:48

I was just feeling it was a bit much for ours to up his charge to £7.00. We have 12 windows of varying sizes. That is in the south of Cheshire. Probably a lot more up in very posh Wilmslow and Alderley Edge. (There they probably wouldn't consider they had been properly cleaned if they had paid less.) wink

Judthepud2 Mon 31-Aug-15 14:40:10

£20 once a month for 16 windows, front and back door and sunroom (mostly glass with 2 skylights in the roof. He uses hose thing, no ladders. I think it is to do with insurance. We live beside the sea so windows usually covered in a salt deposit. I think they earn their money! I do my own inside windows, though I hate doing it!

Pamaga Tue 01-Sep-15 12:52:49

Seven pounds for two bedroom bungalow - extension at side has three big windows. They come monthly.

Humbertbear Tue 01-Sep-15 12:55:48

We can't get a window cleaner. The house is on a busy road so the windows get dirty. The windows are very large ( curtain shops always tell me I must have got the measurements wrong). It is also on a slope so that a ladder is needed to clean even the front windows. Window cleaners find it all too much redouble and hard work. If they come once, they never come back.

Minder Tue 01-Sep-15 12:56:27

£10 for a three bedroomed detached with an office stuck on. Cambridgeshire. I have them done monthly too.

HMHNanna Tue 01-Sep-15 13:13:31

We pay £6.50 a month for a 4 bedroom detached house with glass porch and a conservatory. Every second month we have the inside of the conservatory and the patio doors which lead into the dining room done for an extra £2.50. If it is looking like rain when they come that leave them until a fine day. They also clean the window ledges and door frames and do a very good job of it.They use a demineralized water pole system for upstairs and do the downstairs ones by hand. As we live on the coast our windows get very salty especially in winter. We always give them a good Christmas money present, but they are always embarrassed to take it. I know that we are lucky to have them and also the price but I am really shocked at some of the prices on this thread.

Grannycupcake Tue 01-Sep-15 13:22:27

We pay £5 a month for 2 bed det bungalow in Cumbria. Lounge windows are floor to ceiling.

Lesley1 Tue 01-Sep-15 13:24:41

£3 a fortnight, we have 7 windows and it's a terraced house. :-)

Mama4 Tue 01-Sep-15 13:28:52

We pay nothing. We do it ourselves!

hulahoop Tue 01-Sep-15 13:30:57

We pat £6 for 3bedsemi. And he does sills comes every month we live off
Main road so windows don't get that dirty!

helmacd Tue 01-Sep-15 13:36:02

Have semi and windows are cleaned every 6 weeks using the powerwash system, which means no ladders. Costs £15. I live in Berkshire!

Buddie Tue 01-Sep-15 13:36:53

I pay £20 but that does include patio doors and a large full-height window and patio doors on a 4- bed property. A lot of glass. He comes every 8 weeks (my choice) and as he has a concertina type ladder is able to come through the house rather than shin over fences to reach the back! Another window cleaner used a hose system but the water penetrated the frames and windows dried streaky, despite the "special water" he advetrised, if the sun was shining so I am pleased to have found a reliable olf fashioned type of window cleaner. I couldn't do them myself so feel it is worth the money I pay.

sharkgirl Tue 01-Sep-15 13:43:39

Very interesting because my husband insists we pay too much, £18 for a 4 bed house with conservatory, pole method -which I prefer - and it takes no more than 20 mins, so I think he's probably right. I like to support small local businesses but may have a rethink. We're in Norwich.

gulligranny Tue 01-Sep-15 13:45:30

£15 every 6 weeks for the "special water/streak-free" system for a 3-bed house - we have big velux windows upstairs plus patio doors and a glass front door, so I think it's good value. Plus Viktor, our Lithuanian window-cleaner, has become a friend so it's always a pleasure to see him.

Grannyjacq1 Tue 01-Sep-15 13:56:59

I don't pay anything! I bought a Karcher window cleaner a few months ago, and do it myself. Our windows swing through 360 degrees, so can swivel to clean upstairs outsides from the inside, if you see what I mean. Excellent results. But no shortage of window cleaners in the area: we have flyers through the letter box most weeks advertising services.

Everhopeful1 Tue 01-Sep-15 14:07:10

For about 15yrs I never paid to have my windows done as they used to leave their ladders in my garden overnight & do mine next morning! Then the round was sold, so we paid £7.50 for 8 windows. My husband told then not to come back last month as they were battering the gutters with ladders and loosening roof tiles doing the dormas, and the window frames were left filthy. I'd pay much more for a good job, but it's hard to find someone. (Glasgow)

cupcake1 Tue 01-Sep-15 14:07:55

I live in the south-west of England and pay £9 for 4 bed detached house. My window cleaner cleans the front and back windows plus conservatory and front door. He uses a ladder (no poles) and always washes down window sills, door etc. very pleased and he is a nice friendly man to boot! Feel its good value for money every month. grin

Hattiehelga Tue 01-Sep-15 14:27:53

5 bed detached, porch and conservatory - £10 per month and a guarantee of rain the next day !!

kazzer Tue 01-Sep-15 14:42:56

£12 for 14 windows outside in Northamptonshire, inside and out £30 + £5 for gutters, super lads who do the whole village like the Forth bridge!

Bagatelle Tue 01-Sep-15 14:58:04

It's the Karcher Window Vac for me, too. This is an agricultural area and even the wind is often muddy.

Downstairs, south-facing windows get done frequently, inside and out, but the rest don't need to be done nearly so often. I resent paying to have all of them done when only a few need it.

Elsie10 Tue 01-Sep-15 15:16:57

£8 a month outside only - we have a 3 storey town house and our window cleaner doesn't do the top floor, so he does front kitchen and landing and back full width patio doors and full width bedroom . We have recently added a glass porch and I think he is cleaning that too now! The top 2 bedrooms, front and back have to await my intrepid husband climbing out and balancing, so they don't get done very often.

Tosh Tue 01-Sep-15 15:23:09

3 bed bungalow...9 windows..£10, and they are sparking ..he also cleans surrounds.
BTW ..I am back after a long absence. Used to use name Grumpyoldwoman.
How is everyone.
I am sorry to say my lovely hubby died peacefully in February. He had MND and I nursed him for over 5 yrs.
It feels the right time to come back xxxxx