Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much do you pay for Window Cleaning?

(89 Posts)
Retiredguy Fri 10-Apr-15 12:07:55

How much do you pay your window cleaner and for how many windows?
Up to retiring last year and moving we paid £11 once a month in Leicestershire for a four bedroom detached with conservatory.
Been quoted £20 here in Lincolnshire for a smaller ( 3 bedroom detached) house but bigger conservatory.

hapgran Tue 01-Sep-15 17:56:29

I love that on gransnet I have just read through 6 pages of today's quite in depth discussion on religion and now I am coming back to earth (literally?!)with a chat about the cost of window cleaning! This is not a criticism of either discussion, just to say that I appreciate the variety!

hicaz46 Tue 01-Sep-15 17:36:26

I pay £8.50 for a 3 bedroom semi about once a month

annemac101 Tue 01-Sep-15 17:26:01

I'm just about to cancel mine. £5 every two weeks. He uses a powers hose and a brush and I thought that would give the windows a right good clean but he doesn't dry them and I'm fed up with the watery streaks,I'd rather clean them myself. I also have to unbolt back gate to get back windows done. As soon as Isaw him at the front I unbolted gate but he didn't do the back ones. No idea why but he's getting sacked tonight!

EmilyHarburn Tue 01-Sep-15 17:21:07

We pay £30 a month - large converted barn with granny flat and conservatory and some floor to ceiling windows. No tips at Christmas.

cleaning lady at £10 per hour for 4 hours fortnightly. She cleans the insides as and when they need doing.

bonji Tue 01-Sep-15 17:04:53

We have been married for 47 years and have never, ever paid for the windows to be cleaned. For the last 13 years we have lived in a bungalow so not a problem as I do the inside ones and hubby the outside. I suppose we do them about 4 times a year but we live in a semi rural area so as not much traffice they don't get very dirty. When we lived in houses it was the same arrangement but with the aid of a ladder for the outside.
PS Our 2 daughters do think we are a bit careful with our spending so perhaps that's why we won't pay for windows to be cleaned!

Marian1412 Tue 01-Sep-15 16:49:49

We live in Hampshire and have a lovely guy who uses Pure water every 6 weeks. We pay £15 for 7 windows, French doors and Bi Folds. He also does the front and back doors and all the window ledges.

Judthepud2 Tue 01-Sep-15 16:46:34

Oh Tosh so sorry to hear of your loss. It must have been very hard watching your DH deteriorate with that awful disease. After so many years together, you must be feeling his loss terribly. flowers

winifred01 Tue 01-Sep-15 16:44:14

If you can access your Windows easily e. g. Live in a bungalow ,buy a Karsch steam window cleaner and DIY. They are marvellous!

David1968 Tue 01-Sep-15 16:36:58

£10 here (in Lancaster, Lancashire) for a standard 3-bed semi with an extended kitchen. Good job by father and son team with-up-to-date equipment - they have a van with all the long-handled cleaning equipment. Had them coming here for years, during which they've graduated from ladders, buckets and and cloths. Only slight drawback is when they come around - usually a couple of months or so - but it just happens! (At least with the new equipment we're no longer surprised by a ladder coming up to the bedroom windows!)

Kittycat Tue 01-Sep-15 16:19:51

Have had the same man all on his own for years! Used to charge £5 for a house that's 6 windows front and back door once a month. As we have no access to the back apart from thro house he only does front and charged me £2.50 for years. Couple of years ago I told him he should put his prices up so he did to £3! Also does daughters now about 1/4 mile away and only charges her £7 for 6 windows f/b doors and small conservatory. We think we've got a bargain! He's also done all our outside conservatory windows 7 floor to roof windows and double doors for extra £2.50. Only takes on new customers by word of mouth. Won't even have cuppa while he works only very occasionally if really hot he'll ask for glass of cold water. Wish I could ask to do insides too! Save me standing on a chair to do them.

Tosh Tue 01-Sep-15 16:12:52

Thank you grannyqueenie..as you say lots of happy memories..we had been together since I was 14 ..so 53 yrs and married for 46. Miss him so much xxx

grannyqueenie Tue 01-Sep-15 15:34:40

I'm a new kid on the block so I didn't know you previously Tosh, but welcome back anyway! Sorry to hear about your husband, always a shock even when you know it's coming, I'm glad it was peaceful at the end. I hope you have lots of happy memories of your years together and some good friends and family to support you as you get used to life on your own. X

Blue22 Tue 01-Sep-15 15:33:13

£20 for 17 windows ....middle of rural North wales . Mmmmmmm am I being done ?
Monthly . Might ask him to start coming every other month .

Tosh Tue 01-Sep-15 15:23:09

3 bed bungalow...9 windows..£10, and they are sparking ..he also cleans surrounds.
BTW ..I am back after a long absence. Used to use name Grumpyoldwoman.
How is everyone.
I am sorry to say my lovely hubby died peacefully in February. He had MND and I nursed him for over 5 yrs.
It feels the right time to come back xxxxx

Elsie10 Tue 01-Sep-15 15:16:57

£8 a month outside only - we have a 3 storey town house and our window cleaner doesn't do the top floor, so he does front kitchen and landing and back full width patio doors and full width bedroom . We have recently added a glass porch and I think he is cleaning that too now! The top 2 bedrooms, front and back have to await my intrepid husband climbing out and balancing, so they don't get done very often.

Bagatelle Tue 01-Sep-15 14:58:04

It's the Karcher Window Vac for me, too. This is an agricultural area and even the wind is often muddy.

Downstairs, south-facing windows get done frequently, inside and out, but the rest don't need to be done nearly so often. I resent paying to have all of them done when only a few need it.

kazzer Tue 01-Sep-15 14:42:56

£12 for 14 windows outside in Northamptonshire, inside and out £30 + £5 for gutters, super lads who do the whole village like the Forth bridge!

Hattiehelga Tue 01-Sep-15 14:27:53

5 bed detached, porch and conservatory - £10 per month and a guarantee of rain the next day !!

cupcake1 Tue 01-Sep-15 14:07:55

I live in the south-west of England and pay £9 for 4 bed detached house. My window cleaner cleans the front and back windows plus conservatory and front door. He uses a ladder (no poles) and always washes down window sills, door etc. very pleased and he is a nice friendly man to boot! Feel its good value for money every month. grin

Everhopeful1 Tue 01-Sep-15 14:07:10

For about 15yrs I never paid to have my windows done as they used to leave their ladders in my garden overnight & do mine next morning! Then the round was sold, so we paid £7.50 for 8 windows. My husband told then not to come back last month as they were battering the gutters with ladders and loosening roof tiles doing the dormas, and the window frames were left filthy. I'd pay much more for a good job, but it's hard to find someone. (Glasgow)

Grannyjacq1 Tue 01-Sep-15 13:56:59

I don't pay anything! I bought a Karcher window cleaner a few months ago, and do it myself. Our windows swing through 360 degrees, so can swivel to clean upstairs outsides from the inside, if you see what I mean. Excellent results. But no shortage of window cleaners in the area: we have flyers through the letter box most weeks advertising services.

gulligranny Tue 01-Sep-15 13:45:30

£15 every 6 weeks for the "special water/streak-free" system for a 3-bed house - we have big velux windows upstairs plus patio doors and a glass front door, so I think it's good value. Plus Viktor, our Lithuanian window-cleaner, has become a friend so it's always a pleasure to see him.

sharkgirl Tue 01-Sep-15 13:43:39

Very interesting because my husband insists we pay too much, £18 for a 4 bed house with conservatory, pole method -which I prefer - and it takes no more than 20 mins, so I think he's probably right. I like to support small local businesses but may have a rethink. We're in Norwich.

Buddie Tue 01-Sep-15 13:36:53

I pay £20 but that does include patio doors and a large full-height window and patio doors on a 4- bed property. A lot of glass. He comes every 8 weeks (my choice) and as he has a concertina type ladder is able to come through the house rather than shin over fences to reach the back! Another window cleaner used a hose system but the water penetrated the frames and windows dried streaky, despite the "special water" he advetrised, if the sun was shining so I am pleased to have found a reliable olf fashioned type of window cleaner. I couldn't do them myself so feel it is worth the money I pay.

helmacd Tue 01-Sep-15 13:36:02

Have semi and windows are cleaned every 6 weeks using the powerwash system, which means no ladders. Costs £15. I live in Berkshire!