Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much do you pay for Window Cleaning?

(89 Posts)
Retiredguy Fri 10-Apr-15 12:07:55

How much do you pay your window cleaner and for how many windows?
Up to retiring last year and moving we paid £11 once a month in Leicestershire for a four bedroom detached with conservatory.
Been quoted £20 here in Lincolnshire for a smaller ( 3 bedroom detached) house but bigger conservatory.

Carenza123 Sat 26-Sep-20 06:58:55

I used to pay £8 each month for our windows to be cleaned (3 bed semi) 7 windows and 2 doors By an independent window cleaner. Was not happy with him. Now have another company do the job - I pay £11 each month by direct debit (far easier than searching for change) and they clean all the frames and doors thoroughly. Happy.

PinkCakes Thu 24-Sep-20 18:34:39

Ours is £10 every 4-6 weeks.

Ours is a 3 bedroomed semi, with 10 windows

dianalouis Thu 24-Sep-20 16:56:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Londoner Thu 15-Oct-15 16:09:28

Goodness me, we pay "well over the top".....we pay £18 for a two bedroom house, with a conservatory.

I live in Kent (near Ashford).

etheltbags1 Sat 05-Sep-15 21:49:10

forgot to say I had estimate the other day that was £4.00 for 7 windows. I turned it down.

Cherrytree59 Sat 05-Sep-15 21:26:14

Think must be on to a good deal all windows including inside porch £4.50 £10 if feeling lazy and have inside done also.

etheltbags1 Sat 05-Sep-15 21:13:45

my window cleaner just retired a couple of years ago and I paid £2.00.
Even though prices may have gone up since then I still think it was reasonable I would not want to pay more than £5.00. Glad I live in the North East.

granjura Sat 05-Sep-15 21:05:53

28 windows and a large glass porch sad (might have missed a couple ...)

granjura Sat 05-Sep-15 21:04:25

BTW I bought one of those steam window cleaner with a squeejee- and she has one too- much easier and quicker.

granjura Sat 05-Sep-15 21:03:28

Recently it's all got a bit too much at times as this house is a bit on the monster size. I've got a lovely young neighbour who is happy to come and help from time to time to help me with decorating and cleaning, we did windows in the Sprin and they need doing again- so much more fun when we clean or decorate together, have a good natter and a laugh as we do- seems so much easier and quicker together than on your own. And yes, i do pay her cash in hand.

grandmac Sat 05-Sep-15 20:38:52

19 windows, 2 pairs of patio doors in 3 bed bungalow is £12 every 4-5 weeks. Sometimes windows are covered in salt as well as the odd gifts from the seagulls so it's worth it

grandMattie Thu 03-Sep-15 09:36:42

Previous 5-bed house had 17 windows, we were charged £15 every 6 weeks or so. Present 3-bed house about 12 windows, we were charged £25 and they were streaky, we cancelled. DH does them sometimes. When we got married DH told me that "his dad used to vacuum on Saturdays and clean the windows regularly". I did the vacuuming, the windows stayed dirty until someone else came to do them!!! grin

I hate cleaning - windows, house, anything, so it is a real chore to do them. Occarionally wink

aprilinparis Wed 02-Sep-15 20:48:29

We pay £7, roughly every 3/4 weeks, front and back windows including a French door. They use ladders and squeegees and it takes about 10 minutes,after which I give them a coffee. It works for us.

Jamieson1 Wed 02-Sep-15 18:17:55

We have a 4 bed detached house with 16 windows and we pay 15pounds every 5/6 weeks. He does a very good job.

rosesarered Wed 02-Sep-15 17:45:55

£14 , he does it every 2 months, and makes an excellent job of it too.This includes the conservatory.

friends123 Wed 02-Sep-15 14:56:08

Can't find one for love or money since the other left @ £5 ago.

reenee Wed 02-Sep-15 14:25:46

Good for you TYNE ANGEL.

reenee Wed 02-Sep-15 14:24:26

I don't pay for a window cleaner, I clean my own just like my mum did and save almost £100 per annum, bought a long reach brush to do upstairs, I have arthritis quite badly and it sometimes takes more than one day to get them done, but the one thing I have in abundance is time and I am sure that it does me no harm in fact exercise keeps me mobile, I also do my own gardening and walk two dogs daily, thanks in part to the wonders of modern medicine and the much maligned NHS. My motto is--- use it or lose it.

Sillynanny65 Tue 01-Sep-15 22:26:21

Reading your messages is making me think. We have a 3 bedroom semi, a total of 11 windows, front door, and a window in the front porch, also French doors to the garden. Our gardener comes about once every 4/6 weeks depending on weather and charges £20. He uses s system that uses just water, and brushes, you leave the windows to dry and they are streaked free. (Sometimes !!) not sure we are getting a good deal after all.

Nanevon Tue 01-Sep-15 22:22:56

Tosh, so sorry to read that your husband passed away. Hope you have family and friends who support you and I'm sure you miss him terribly. You must have lots of happy memories of your time together and I hope they give you some comfort when you feel low. Take care and God bless

mollyc Tue 01-Sep-15 20:21:36

I pay £5 per month for a 4 bedroomed house with 13 windows including two glass doors and a patio door and have done so for years. This is in Teesside and compared to others I feel I have a bargain.

TyneAngel Tue 01-Sep-15 19:40:26

£15 once a month for a modest 3-bed detached and a not particularly good job - have just asked him not to come again. Now, where's that ladder????

Bothiegran2013 Tue 01-Sep-15 18:39:21

I have a window cleaner who uses the power hose and I hate it. As you say, the windows are not dried and I don't think they are as clean, also the window fills don't get wiped over. Health and safety is given fir the reason of not going up ladders any more��������

Grannytwoshoes Tue 01-Sep-15 18:07:13

I live in London and pay £45 !! A flat with Ten windows of various sizes. None huge. Admittedly I have them done only twice a year ! But you can see why!

NfkDumpling Tue 01-Sep-15 18:00:34

This has been a very interesting read. I pay my window cleaner £18 every two months for nine windows and a conservatory (I do the conservatory in between his visits) and my new neighbour was most upset when he quoted £21 for her chalet with far fewer windows. He has been hinting he's going to put his prices up. I think I'll time his next visit and work out his hourly rate!