Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pangs of sadness through getting old

(109 Posts)
Parcs Wed 15-Apr-15 19:38:04

I don't know what's the matter with me lately, I am becoming very aware of my age

Being a Grandma is lovely of course but it does make you feel old being one of the oldest in the family.

I still can't believe it sometimes, and when I am called Nan I do look behind me thinking, Nan, is that me!!

But then I remind myself of George Clooney and Helen Mirren and my own Father and realise that getting older does not have to mean Being Old!! or looking Old.

I do believe that it is very important to mix with and have contact with people of your own age.

Mishap Sun 19-Apr-15 22:19:55

I don't see much in the way of self-pity on this site. Posters go through difficult patches and seek the support of others - which is always forthcoming. But that is not the same as self-pity.

I find lots of very brave people on here and take my hat off to them.

It is not self-pity to have pangs of regret for things done/not done and for the loss of health and strength. It is simply being a normal human being.

The pangs come - they go - and we pick ourselves up and get on with life.

Gracesgran Sun 19-Apr-15 21:58:37

Ana is right. No use sitting around in self pity but that underlying feeling some have is still there. I doubt that you would know if you met us.

Grandchildren are indeed a joy and Skype, etc., makes those of us who do not see them for years even closer. I have to admit that even if they were here I couldn't do a cartwheel or and handstand Petra so I take my hat off to you smile.

jenn Sun 19-Apr-15 21:57:03

Mishap I count my blessings everyday. I know how lucky I am to have my health and realise that my nagging back and p.c.t.( a liver condition ) are nothing compared to what others have, annoying but not limiting. Good health seems to be a bit of a lottery.A very close friend of the same age had a liver transplant last year after several years of very poor health.She has had a wonderful year and looks fabulous but at our last meet up she told me she has cancer on the transplanted liver!!!!No chemo because of the transplant drugs.Her operation is next week and we can only hope.That's sad.

whitewave Sun 19-Apr-15 21:43:08

Today has be a positive day for me - funny how it changes from day to day?

Not sure where all the energy has come from but hope it stays grin

petra Sun 19-Apr-15 21:03:58

Felt a bit old this afternoon. The GC didn't know how to do a cartwheel or stand on their head. Have to admit, I had to use the wall for the headstand.

Ana Sun 19-Apr-15 20:14:54

I think it's also worth pointing out that I'm pretty sure that those of us who have expressed a degree of sadness about various aspects of ageing aren't sitting around wallowing in self-pity, having given up on life!

Having regrets and/or wishing things in our lives were different is just human nature, and I've found this thread very interesting and in a way, comforting.

Mishap Sun 19-Apr-15 20:06:58

And lots of us would be doing all of that jenn were it not for pain and disability. Just thank your lucky stars - you do not know what is round the corner!

I have been playing with 3 of my GC today and it was a painful pleasure.

jenn Sun 19-Apr-15 19:50:38

Sad at growing old! Not me.The alternative is sad.

Today at 64 I had my first go at gokarting.Yes, the 7 year old grandson did overtake me but as he is a mini Lewis Hamilton it wasn't surprising.I loved it and when I come back to Poland in a couple of months I am determined to be a lot braver with the accelerator !
My son just accepts he has a mum who will have a go at most things and just books them, it will be sad when he doesn't.This summer it is off roading, kayaking and now karting.
The time will come when I can't do things and it won't be sad just the next stage.

campodol Sun 19-Apr-15 18:23:53

flowers xx wink

Parcs Sun 19-Apr-15 18:20:39

Rosie my DIL and DS can not do stuff that I can do on iphone.

Technology has become so intense now that not even the youngens can keep up

I have to say it felt GOOD, when, there I was, explaining to them a task on the iphone that they did not know how to use!!

Parcs Sun 19-Apr-15 18:16:45

Wow that gets you right between the eyes and as you say so very true, so so very true. Thank you

campodol Sun 19-Apr-15 16:34:16

i read this today ..... Dont regret growing older , it is a privilege denied to many.....so true i think flowers

RosieMeltzer Sun 19-Apr-15 13:00:54

I'm so pleased to read that vegasmags used to teach computing. So many younger people are of the opinion that older adults are unable to deal with modern technology. The receptionist at my hairdresser was astonished to see me put the details of my next appointment into my iPhone. People seem to forget that it was our generation who were at the forefront of creating the computer.

janeainsworth Sun 19-Apr-15 12:57:10

gagagran Someone might well be interested in your diaries.

Margaret Forster wrote Diary of an Ordinary Woman after being given access to a woman's diaries. There's a bit of a twist and the book is described as a 'fictionalised memoir'.
It's a fascinating read though.

www.theguardian.com/books/2003/apr/19/featuresreviews.guardianreview14

tegan flowers for you.

Tegan Sun 19-Apr-15 12:56:38

I have asked the ex to clear out the garage but he can't do it till he finishes building a garage at his cottage [knowing him it will take years but he did say it will be finished by the summer #heardthatbefore]. A lot of the things in my house are things that other people keep in garages [decorating stuff etc].The trouble is I have this strange mindset that keeps things that you can't see [drawers, cupboards] immaculately tidy whereas all around me is junk and clutter, so putting things away in boxes doesn't help confused. As for throwing things away, I've hurt my wrist by painting a fence [some sort of repetitive strain I think] and I must have thrown away a wrist support that I've had for years. Mind you, it might be repetitive strain from spending so much time on the bloomin' pooter blush! And can I bring myself to throw out the huge cardboard box wendy house that resides in my living room [and also contains more junk]. Methinks I am beyond help...

nightowl Sun 19-Apr-15 11:47:31

Tegan (((hugs)))

Don't waste too much time wondering whether things would have been better if you and your ex were still together. I could give you a view from the other side of that, but the truth is we will never know how our lives might have turned out if we had done things differently.

I'm the last one to advise about clearing things out as I live in a state of someone else's chaos. I suppose it depends how big the things are that you are storing, but can't some of it be boxed up and put away somewhere for them, so that at least you are not buried in their stuff. If it's furniture of course it's more difficult. Perhaps if you could at least keep part of your home that's yours and all yours, and make it just as you like it, and close the doors on the rest? Don't know if that's any help, as I say, I'm the last person to be able to give any advice in this subject.

Tegan Sun 19-Apr-15 11:21:11

My diaries aren't really accounts of life in the 80's; most of them are just me moaning about my ex never doing the washing up or which horse I've backed in the 3.15 at Kempton. I think my children will just throw everything out anyway [my daughter said she will get the house clearance people in] and I can't see the grandchildren being interested. The little girl might, but I'm beginning to realise that I won't be having as close a relationship with her as I had with the boys. My house is too packed with everyones lives. Because I have virtually nothing from my childhood I've been obsessive about holding on to everything for my children. I've still got stuff belonging to my ex plus his fathers things. His house is much smaller than mine and he does support me so that I can keep this house going, so I can't really give him an ultimatum to clear it all ou but being surrounded by so much stuff from my past stops me from moving forward. Ditto my son who also lives in a house that is much too small so I store things for him too. I've also let the house get quite shabby because I didn't want the grandchildren to worry about the grandchildren making a mess, but they hardly come here now anyway. I'm fast becoming one of those people on telly that live in houses where you can't move for rubbish but I'm scared that one day I will have a massive blitz and then regret it. I do wonder a lot these days how life would be if I was still with my ex and that the dynamics of our family life would be better; again we're still really good friends and that makes it difficult to move on as well. Sorry to rant on; I'm just doing a bit of thinkng out loud on here blush.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Apr-15 11:09:24

(as it does in your physical makeup)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Apr-15 11:08:32

I think dna accounts for most things in our natures.

annsixty Sun 19-Apr-15 11:05:51

I should just add I have several regrets about the past but don't dwell TOO much on them as that is a waste of time. As once told in a counselling session "just acknowledge them and then let go".

durhamjen Sun 19-Apr-15 11:00:47

Sorry, sore spot, Gracesgran.
Didn't like the idea that it was my mother's DNA that meant I looked after my husband until three weeks before he died, when Hospice at Home carers took over. I thought it was my free will.

appygran Sun 19-Apr-15 10:59:53

I have had pangs of sadness throughout my life and look on it as a normal human emotion or response to events and not particularly age related. Perhaps as we get older we have more time to reflect on things and some of them will make us sad others happy but like all feelings they pass unless we allow ourselves to dwell on them. For the op mixing with people her own age helps for others it might be something completely different. Spending more time with grandchildren or young people for example, or for me exercising and following hobbies, sometimes with a group of like minded people, sometimes alone.

Interested to know if you are still feeling that pang of sadness today parcs. smile

Marelli Sun 19-Apr-15 10:59:27

I don't feel any regrets as such on getting older, but I'm very conscious of time flitting by very quickly now. I know I won't be able to do all sorts of things that I'd thought I might liked to have done in my life. I wouldn't say 'hoped to do', because my life meandered along in such a way that we were just glad to be able to put food on the table in the early years.
Re diaries - my MIL had asked us to burn her diaries when she died. She had quite a bundle of them, and although it was tempting to have a peek, we did as she asked.
Tegan, flowers. Sometimes I do think that although we maybe don't exactly get 'forgotten' by our adult children, I think we get left behind in the rush that is their lives. They think we're ok because we don't tell them otherwise. I've always been careful not to appear needy (which I'm actually not), but there are times when I really would appreciate a call asking if we were ok!

Gracesgran Sun 19-Apr-15 09:17:46

Surely if someone is ill, you just look after them, nothing to do with DNA

Jen we had just been agreeing that you are lucky if your particular DNA gives you strength in a particular position so it was my little joke.

If someone is ill you will do your best to look after them but it is beyond some for all sorts of reasons.

Falconbird Sun 19-Apr-15 08:43:20

Good point petallus - about things you wouldn't want future generations to read.

I noticed when I read my diary that I had left out the part where my DH has a headfit about the children and we had a massive row in a pub garden. I stormed off and it took him hours to find me and the kids.

Ah Happy Days????