Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How many clocks

(41 Posts)
tanith Thu 07-May-15 20:40:03

Someone asked this interesting question as they thought 'older' people more likely to have lots of clocks in the house...

In our house apart from appliance clocks, (cooker, microwave, boiler and phones) we actually only have one clock OH's alarm clock , I use my phone or computer for the time if I need it. I haven't worn a watch since the day I retired nearly 10yrs ago.

How many clocks do you have?

rosesarered Fri 08-May-15 17:18:43

As Numberplease says, a ticking clock sounds lovely, reassuring somehow.

rosesarered Fri 08-May-15 17:17:22

My Grandmother used to have a lovely cuckoo clock with long pine cone weights which I often used to play with. I later found that I had regularly mucked up the timing, but she never said anything to me or got cross about it.

rosesarered Fri 08-May-15 17:14:25

An interesting question Tanith, perhaps it is an older person thing.I have always loved clocks, but don't have all that many now I think about it. more than the children though, who only have alarm clocks.So, a very ornamental little clock given to us as a present years ago, in the hall. a kitchen clock on the wall, two alarm clocks in our bedroom, um, a small clock in the study,
And an outdoor one combined with a thermometer on a garden wall.

numberplease Fri 08-May-15 16:57:33

I love it when the room is quiet and I can hear the clock ticking, it seems so peaceful then, but doesn`t happen very often. My great aunt had a grandmother clock with chimes and I loved it, when she died my mother inherited it, and promptly turned off the chimes, one of my sisters has it now, and those lovely chimes are still silent, such a shame. Wish I had it!

Agus Fri 08-May-15 15:28:32

1 wall clock in the kitchen, other than that, microwave, oven, iPhone and iPad. I also wear a watch

I grew up with enough noisy chiming/striking clocks to never want one in my home. Worst of all was an Aunt's cuckoo clock, just wanted to strangle that bird!

granjura Fri 08-May-15 14:54:50

I won't count electronic clocks- as they are not 'clocks' in my book.

I live in the land of clocks- so we have three- 1 inherited from my parental great grandparents and 1 from my mum's- and 1 skeleton clock I bought for OH on his 40th BD (from Scott's of Stow ... of all places). Love clocks.

ffinnochio Fri 08-May-15 14:41:48

Actually there are two. This old computer and the tablet. Glad not to have ticks, clicks, whirrs, chimes, dongs and cuckoos.

ffinnochio Fri 08-May-15 14:37:42

No clocks in the house anywhere. I have a wristwatch, which I only wear if I have to. If an alarm is needed, Mr. ffin's tablet does the necessary.

There's the distant ring of the church bell in the next village at 7.00am every morning, which is rather nice.

annodomini Fri 08-May-15 14:21:04

Carriage clock, kitchen clock (VW Beetle momorabilia), clocks on cooker and microwave, DAB radio.

hildajenniJ Fri 08-May-15 14:08:22

I have a pretty carriage clock in the living room, a kitchen clock and my DH and I both have an alarm clock. We have the family heirloom grandfather clock in the hall, which doesn't work. Perhaps just as well as my DH says that it is very loud, (he remembers it from his childhood). And that's it, apart from the various devices with clocks as integral parts eg. the cooker.

NanaDenise Fri 08-May-15 13:40:16

We have 8 clocks , one in every room and 3 in the living room. Then there are all the gadgets with timers, coffee makers, radios, TV attachments etc. None in the loos, office or utility room. 3 are chiming clocks.

I didn't like ticking clocks when we first got married, I had an electric clock in the kitchen that was always set to GMT and that was it. I seem to have a built-in alarm clock and rarely oversleep by more than ten minutes.

We do have radios in every room though.

soontobe Fri 08-May-15 13:37:50

Loads of clocks, not one in every room, but ahem 2 or 3 in a couple of rooms.
Even my mother comments on how many clocks we have! blush

Galen Fri 08-May-15 13:29:36

Alarm, carriage clock and my beloved long case clock that I inherited.

janerowena Fri 08-May-15 12:49:38

Do they not take into account the fact that as you get older, people give you all sorts of things, and you inherit them as well? My mother gave me some carriage clocks and I was really quite pleased when they broke down! Most younger people use watches and cooker, microwave, computer and phone. I do have a small clock in the sitting room, I have a phone by my bed and use the time on that, and I have had to put a small clock in DBH's bathroom so that he doesn't spend too long in the loo and be late for work!

I can't bear the sound of ticking clocks at night.

tiggypiro Fri 08-May-15 10:39:18

One each on cooker and microwave, one in sitting room and one in bedroom. I have never worn a watch (except when travelling) since I retired 10 years ago from teaching. I have no further wish to be ruled by the bell !! I do though seem to have an inbuilt ability to know what time it is (within 15 mins) without looking at a clock.

NfkDumpling Fri 08-May-15 07:26:20

(I was only counting the ones which work!)

NfkDumpling Fri 08-May-15 07:25:14

One in every room except the downstairs loo and the little bedroom which the DGC use - and I expect there'll be one in there when they're big enough to tell the time.

Actually the kitchen (not a big room) has three. Apart from the proper one, the cooker and microwave both have one. Oh, and there's one on the radio too! In fact we've five radios and each of them have a clock. Not sure if they count though as the numbers are too small to see.

Love clocks. Tick tock!

loopylou Fri 08-May-15 06:51:05

I'm lost without a watch, other than that one in kitchen and living room and one in the bedroom.
I'm amazed merlotgran at anyone having 80 clocks! That's either a hobby collection or a huge mansion or someone very hot on time management smile

thatbags Fri 08-May-15 06:48:10

Four, including a very old travel alarm clock (alarm disabled) in the bathroom. I don't wear a watch.

There are clocks on the microwave and the cooker too and, of course, on all the computer equipment including this iPad.

Bogoff Fri 08-May-15 06:40:56

We have at least one clock in every room, including the smallest.

tanith Fri 08-May-15 06:35:57

I think you may be right Ash Tree ,I have no need of a clock anymore it's a bit sad in a way but I'm sure lots of people prefer to refer to them and they will always be part of home decor.

AshTree Thu 07-May-15 23:58:42

Kitchen clock, had it for years, a wooden cased pendulum type - well, a mock pendulum type really, cos it runs on one AA battery! Apart from that a digital alarm clock, which is never used as an alarm clock because we each always use the alarms on our iPhones. And that's it. If I need to know the time in the hall I glance at the phone. In the living room or dining room, I just glance at my laptop or PC.
Do we need clocks as such anymore? I don't think so. They do make nice decorative objets d'art to hang on the wall though grin

Tegan Thu 07-May-15 22:49:19

I've got clocks everywhere. Wall clock in kitchen [no battery]; alarm clock in kitchen [battery ok but is an hour out; if I correct it I'll have to remember that it isn't an hour out and confuse myself confused]. Alarm clock in bedroom; think it's the right hour but 15 minutes fast so I know I can doze for 15 minutes before having to wake up properly. Mantlepiece clock; right hour but a few minutes slow. Grandmother clock on wall in living room; not wound up for years cause the tick is too loud. Uncle Sam's clock on shelf in bedroom;hasn't worked since he died [but did start ticking one night for a while which completely freaked me out]. Watch and computer are both the correct time. Super Mario alarm clock that my son had for Christmas one year; only had batteries in for a short time as we never worked out how to turn it off when the alarm went off and it drove us mad. Dennis the Menace alarm clock; again tick was too alarm clock in computer room that does a funny little dance when it goes off.

Grandma2213 Thu 07-May-15 22:46:04

One in the living room and one in the kitchen plus my watch when I'm out. I rarely use anything else. On the other hand I have 4 alarm clocks on my bedside table. Guess who's not a morning person!

Greenfinch Thu 07-May-15 22:33:49

I must be unusual. We have at least 12 (one in every room including bathrooms and two in some ).I have 3 watches (given as presents) and DH has 2.