Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Spiders and other phobias.

(56 Posts)
Falconbird Sun 10-May-15 12:13:52

Who's afraid of the above mentioned creatures. Don't want to have to type the word out again.

I lived in a house where next door had their attic cleared out and the "things" all came into our house. They were huge.shock

The last house I lived in had an enormous air raid shelter which we had pulled down, again the "things" decided to come into our house. They were absolutely enormous.shock

Luckily I now live in a new build apartment and haven't seen any of the above apart from two tiny ones - no problem. I quite like those speckled garden thingies. smile

Ana Mon 11-May-15 21:27:52

Humanly! grin Love it.

pompa Mon 11-May-15 21:30:40

OK, typo - Humanely, it is past my bed time.

Grandma2213 Tue 12-May-15 02:13:34

Pompa thanks for the information. Now I have googled and seen Spanish Slugs I think that is what I have in my garden in Lancashire. Disgusting, huge and leathery creatures!! I humanely dispose of them either with a sharp pointed stone or the prongs of a garden fork. Gross but satisfying! I find smaller ones in the compost bin and hope that by destroying them I might cut down on eventual numbers. Sorry folks but it's the survival of the fittest!

absent Tue 12-May-15 03:04:05

Bats may look like flying mice but they are not rodents.

Falconbird Tue 12-May-15 07:14:00

Some years ago I was living in a house with my Dh and middle son. We had a nightmare influx of spiders caused by an air raid shelter being demolished in our back garden.

My son set about despatching them all, he was a man with a mission and we were very grateful because I am really phobic about s-- and my Dh wasn't too brave around them.

It was around the time of Halloween and Dh and I saw an enormous s- for sale among all the other scary Halloween things.

Dh wanted to buy one and put it in the outside toilet to give my son a fright. The s- was big enough to fill the whole outside loo.

I wouldn't let him do it and sometime later I told my son about is dad's intended joke. My son did laugh but said he was glad I said no because the Halloween s- might have given him a heart attack. shock